Work in Progress - reduce context menu size by mving some option to second dialog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Montellese Offline
Team Kodi Developer
@spiff: Are you talking about files view or library view? In library view I have never seen a "scan" option except for tvshows.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
find quote
spiff Offline
Retired Developer
then there's been a regression over time. it used to be there, either on the 'movies' node (movies -> title if not flattened), as well as on the tvshows node and on individual tv shows.
find quote
da-anda Offline
Team-Kodi Member
sorry, don't get the difference between "scan for new content" and "update library" - I expect both to do the same. Ok, "update library" could also mean that items already in library will be updated with new meta-data, but do we actually do this? I don't think "update library on startup" setting scans for new meta-data - it only adds new items to the library.
find quote
spiff Offline
Retired Developer
if you don't get it, listen to those who do.
find quote
Montellese Offline
Team Kodi Developer
Ah I never checked the "Movies" node in the library root view, I thought you meant it was there for individual movies. I'll double-check in Frodo and add it back if it was there. It is still there for individual tvshows though so that shouldn't have changed.

@da-anda: The difference is that "update library" will update all sources and media files for the video (or music) library whereas "scan for new content" is limited to a specific source/directory/path and does not affect the whole library. This is e.g. useful when you have a huge tvshow library but you only want to update the list of movies because there are a few new ones. With "scan for new content" you can avoid also working through all the tvshow-related sources/directories.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
find quote
zag Offline
Retired Team-Kodi Member
There is some good UI feedback in the blog comments from latest monthly cycle it seems there is lots of opinion to:

- Re-instate the Watched/Unwatched button to the main menu
- Move "Remove Library" to the sub menu instead

You can read all the comments here.

http://xbmc.org/xbmc-13-gotham-august-cycle/#comments

I must admit I have never used the remove library feature, but ocasionally do use the set watched function.
(This post was last modified: 2013-09-05 19:59 by zag.)
find quote
Martijn Offline
Team Kodi
indeed "remove from library" belongs in "manage.."

Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Banned
(2013-09-05 19:41)zag Wrote:  There is some good UI feedback in the blog comments from latest monthly cycle it seems there is lots of opinion to:

- Move "Remove Library" to the sub menu instead

You can read all the comments here.

http://xbmc.org/xbmc-13-gotham-august-cycle/#comments

I must admit I have never used the remove library feature, but ocasionally do use the set watched function.

+1 to both
find quote
ronie Offline
Team-Kodi Member
(2013-09-05 19:41)zag Wrote:  There is some good UI feedback in the blog comments from latest monthly cycle it seems there is lots of opinion to:

+ many

Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ and Search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
find quote
Montellese Offline
Team Kodi Developer
I remember asking someone if I should move Watched/Unwatched into "Manage..." and the answer was yes. I wasn't too sure myself but it can be easily changed. The downside would be that Watched/Unwatched won't be available from the video info dialog once the Manage... option has been integrated there.

I already mentioned earlier that Remove from library will also be moved into Manage but that part of the code needs some refactoring before that can be done and I didn't have the time to do that yet.

find quote
natethomas Offline
XBMC Chief and Kodi Project Manager
Would there be any problem with a bit of redundancy with the Watched/Unwatched buttons, keeping them both at the top level and in the Manage folder?
find quote
Martijn Offline
Team Kodi
(2013-09-07 02:11)natethomas Wrote:  Would there be any problem with a bit of redundancy with the Watched/Unwatched buttons, keeping them both at the top level and in the Manage folder?
That's not a good idea imo.

(This post was last modified: 2013-09-07 11:09 by Martijn.)
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Banned
(2013-09-07 11:09)Martijn Wrote:  
(2013-09-07 02:11)natethomas Wrote:  Would there be any problem with a bit of redundancy with the Watched/Unwatched buttons, keeping them both at the top level and in the Manage folder?
That's not a good idea imo.

From a technical standpoint or just a user interface standpoint?

I don't see an issue from a user interface standpoint. There's lots of times where redundancy is good and can be very effective.
find quote
Martijn Offline
Team Kodi
User interface. It makes no sense to have those buttons in almost the same dialog twice just on click in between.

find quote
popcornmix Offline
Team-Kodi Member
(2013-09-05 21:01)Ned Scott Wrote:  - Re-instate the Watched/Unwatched button to the main menu

I had to mark a dozen TV episodes as watched recently (with a remote control) and it was particularly cumbersome.
+1 to moving it back.
find quote