• 2(current)
WIP reduce context menu size by mving some option to second dialog
I like 'scan here for new content' or 'scan from here for new content' but yeah something that lets the user know it's specific to what they've selected when they brought up the context menu.
well either scan for new content or update library? If it does the same - why call it inconsistently different?

I mean "scanning for content" also updates the library. And updating the library does indeed scan for new content.

What did i get wrong here?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Once again "scan for new content" only operates on a single source. If you have multiple video (or even multiple movie/tvshow/musicvideo) sources you will have to manually execute "scan for new content" on every source to get the same behaviour as "update library" which simply scans all the sources (not just one) for new/changed content. So they are definitely not the same.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2013-02-06, 17:14)Montellese Wrote: Once again "scan for new content" only operates on a single source. If you have multiple video (or even multiple movie/tvshow/musicvideo) sources you will have to manually execute "scan for new content" on every source to get the same behaviour as "update library" which simply scans all the sources (not just one) for new/changed content. So they are definitely not the same.

naming definitely needs to change. no doubt about that because it's way to confusing because no one know (with any previous knowledge) what it does.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-02-05, 12:47)gabbott Wrote:
(2013-02-05, 12:39)da-anda Wrote:
(2013-02-05, 09:52)topfs2 Wrote: EDIT: And with the same logic I think we shouldn't have "update library" in the context menu.

never made any sense for me, except for shares. Probably move it to the sidebar in confluence which IMO looks like a better place for it.

Just a thought related to this. If you move 'update library' off the context menu, what about the 'scan for new content' option? Which would have to be part of the context menu. Wouldn't that get confusing?

I agree, as da-anda points out that it could be in source context though
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
How about this: we only have one button "scan for new content" (or however we call it) and on click we show a popup and ask what to update, like:
Code:
Where would you like to scan for new content:
- only in "name of current share"
- in all my "movie/tv-show/music-video/music" shares (depending on content type of share)
- entire library (caution, might take a while)
- cancel

It's always good to have less confusion and don't clutter the UI with tons of buttons that make it look way to complicated.
Sounds good ^^ Smile
IMO there are two options, either we make it very clear that they operate differently or we pick one and remove the other Smile

It sounds like "Update library", since it affects all sources has no reason to ever be in the context menu.
The "Scan source for new content" could be in context menu when a source is context.

When we are deep within a source I guess if anything we could have "Scan this source for content" but then it gets uncertain how deep within the source its meant to scan. Say I have /movies and I have ventured /movies/a-c/ and choose "Scan this source for content".

I kindof think the only valid course is either a) REmove sca source completely and make update library handle failing sources gracefully (which it already does afaik?). or b) We make "Scan for content" only ever be accessible from context menu when source is context, i.e. never have it in the side pane panel.

And I guess c) would be what da-anda suggests. Not sure if we want more popups though? I kindof dislike when we hide selections like this within a button press, I mean its not clear that you will get these options before you press the button.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
The best fix is just a toggle when you add the source to the library "keep this up to date" and make sure the user never has to care about it. Computers are supposed to take care of this shit, not me.

(2013-06-02, 05:12)jmarshall Wrote: The best fix is just a toggle when you add the source to the library "keep this up to date" and make sure the user never has to care about it. Computers are supposed to take care of this shit, not me.

+100

I always assumed there was some kind of massive issue with doing this though.
We already do this, right? We just have the inverse, which is "exclude from scan", but that's basically the same toggle idea.
Well great work is being done by on this. Makes it look so much better having a cleaner context menu Smile

Note:
movies:
scan for new content is gone from movies but still there in tvshows

tvshows:
edit sort title doesn't belong in tvshows
link to movie is missing in manage for tvshows (not sure if it was there)
there's no manage button in season view

should "choose art" but put under "manage.." r only be available through the info window?
(2013-07-28, 00:35)Martijn Wrote: movies:
scan for new content is gone from movies but still there in tvshows
It was never there for movies but it's there for tvshows because a tvshow is a container and a movie is not. With "Scan for new content" on a tvshow you can scan for new episodes just for that tvshow. That's how it is right now as well.

(2013-07-28, 00:35)Martijn Wrote: tvshows:
edit sort title doesn't belong in tvshows
Why not? TVShows have a sort title as well (same as movies).

(2013-07-28, 00:35)Martijn Wrote: link to movie is missing in manage for tvshows (not sure if it was there)
It's not there right now either.

(2013-07-28, 00:35)Martijn Wrote: there's no manage button in season view
Yeah I haven't decided yet whether it's worth adding a sub-context menu only for "choose artwork".

(2013-07-28, 00:35)Martijn Wrote: should "choose art" but put under "manage.." r only be available through the info window?
I don't really care Wink
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
My findings were based on not knowing if it was already there. I just started using it and that's what I found :)
I think "choose art" would make the most sense along other "manage" options.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
reduce context menu size by mving some option to second dialog0