• 87(current)
DSPlayer (DirectShow Player for XBMC) Frodo build available
(2015-03-27, 20:13)oldpoem Wrote: It is debatable that MadVR Jinc3+AR gives superior visual quality over FFDShow AVisynth spline64 though with or without sharpening filter applied. But for weaker system it definitely better in many case. Not everyone would go out to buy new graphics card just to use Jinc3+AR in MadVR though.

What you like about apply sharpening is also debatable since most advance scaling algorithm do some of sharpening itself already. It just that what you want to manipulate /enhance it further or not. It's personal taste.

Also not everyone has AVR as well. Many users would benefit from audio processor.

It's ok that you don't want to include these since you won't use it. But I believe many would benefit from it and may found it suites their taste more. So it's all about options.

What makes AVisynth spline64 superior to spline scaling in madVR? I don't know much about AVisynth.

Also, scaling alone is not a reason to buy a graphics card. madVR's dithering and high-bit depth output are superior to other renderers. It also offers high-quality RGB conversion and integration with 3D LUTs that are equally important.

Can you provide a list of settings you prefer in a format similar to what was posted?

I agree that FFDShow Audio might be of use to many. I might consider adding a brief tutorial in the last section. But it wouldn't be today. I've never used FFDShow Audio, so it is hard to promote it.

Those are the only quibbles with what was posted?
While scaling alone is not the reason, most of other MadVR features would run fine on nearly all system (maybe except dx11 based dithering). Scaling is what eats up GPU loads and many users don't have privilege on swapping out graphics card and put new one in. NUC & Mini-ITX HTPC comes to mind, these would benefit greatly.

I'd add more if I can think of anything but right now it seems to cover most essential. There always something specific like using DSPlayer on LiveTV backend, How to handle some specific ISDB TS file etc. But it shouldn't make it on startup guide.
(2015-03-27, 19:36)Warner306 Wrote: I have completed the first draft of a set-up guide for DSPlayer, LAV Filters & madVR. I know other solutions exist beyond these filters, but using LAV Filters keeps things simple. I am not an expert at all things DSPlayer or madVR, so feel free to offer any suggestions for improvement. I will continue to edit this document for quality, readability and accuracy of the included images.

HOW TO - Configure Kodi DSPlayer with LAV Filters & madVR

Despite the different ideas everybody can have about technical conceps (this is better or the other thing), congratulations for the guide. U took ur time to do it and it looks very good, and any help is always welcome mate.
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V
Thanks. I improved the readability of a few sections. I'll likely add to it later. That was a lot of work just to get the formatting right. Covering all of the various filter combinations is almost impossible. I'll have to pick and choose what examples to use.
The DSPlayer set-up guide has been moved to Tips & Tricks for anyone interested. It is also available in my signature.
great guide , ive used your preset config files in order to get this baby up and running and followed parts of your guide to polish my current lav filters and madvr config , btw one issue with the setup , ive noticed xysubfilter doesnt get loaded , this should be replaced for your XyVSFilter Auto since it is depreciated for quite a while ago , as the xy devs told me over at doom9 and we now have the requirements at hand in order to use xysubfilter which as you know is madvr renderer

another question , is there a way to integrate pixel shader from potplayer , it uses cuda and works with lav filters its a ffdshow raw videoprocessing replacement that works better

btw installed the x64 version of AV splitter and left its settings at default, only thing i did was select register source filter and selected the unchecked realmedia filetype to make sure it supports everything i suppose

btw is the kodi dsplayer madvr build from aracnoz, the x64 build of kodi , i hope so , if not please post a x64 build

btw ive noticed the kodi gui overlay reacting quite sluggish in a movie , whats up with that?
(2015-03-28, 01:43)hentai23 Wrote: great guide , ive used your preset config files in order to get this baby up and running and followed parts of your guide to polish my current lav filters and madvr config , btw one issue with the setup , ive noticed xysubfilter doesnt get loaded , this should be replaced for your XyVSFilter Auto since it is depreciated for quite a while ago , as the xy devs told me over at doom9 and we now have the requirements at hand in order to use xysubfilter which as you know is madvr renderer

another question , is there a way to integrate pixel shader from potplayer , it uses cuda and works with lav filters its a ffdshow raw videoprocessing replacement that works better

btw ive installed the x64 version of AV splitter and left its settings at default, only thing i did was select register source filter and selected the unchecked realmedia filetype to make sure it supports everything i suppose

btw is the kodi dsplayer madvr build from aracnoz, the x64 build of kodi , i hope so , if not please post a x64 build

btw ive noticed the kodi gui overlay reacting quite sluggish in a movie , whats up with that?

XySubFilter was just used as an example of how to add filters. You would have to add a subtitle filter on your own.

The Kodi gui is sluggish if using madVR as the renderer. You will have to open the madVR configuration panel and adjust the value for "How many frames shall be presented in advance from 8 to 1 to eliminate this lag. If you have buffering or tearing, this value would have to be increased.

That lag is the one unfortunate side effect of using madVR with Kodi.
i hope aracnoz figures a way to fix the lag without having to reduce the frame buffering

and thanks ill switch your value then with xysubfilter, you might wanna update that in your presets for the other members
(2015-03-28, 02:23)hentai23 Wrote: i hope aracnoz figures a way to fix the lag without having to reduce the frame buffering

and thanks ill switch your value then with xysubfilter, you might wanna update that in your presets for the other members

How much setup is required with XySubfilter? I use it with MPC because the internal renderer isn't great. But I've heard the Kodi subtitle renderer is much better.
theres none and kodis sub renderer is NOT better ,xysubfilter is hands down THE best out there

update: ok ive added xysubfilter in the filters list and added it as sub renderer for all file types but it wont load , i see in my filters list when i press O : lav audio/lav video/lav source...thats it

please help

and btw ive tried turning down the prebuffering to 1 , that doesnt help at all , the kodi gui in movies is still sluggish as all hell, hope aracnoz and madshi can figure this out
There is no x64 build windows version of Kodi. So DSPlayer version is based on the same source code so no x64 version as well. The integration of XyVSFilter was made by aracnoz months ago to replace old dsplayer libsubs. XySubfilter didn't work back then. So you might need Aracnoz to do it again for XySubfilter.
so it would seem , aracnoz and madshi seems like theres more work to be done bros , from what i gather up till now , a few things :

1. kodi gui sluggish as all hell during playback no matter what prebuffer frames amount is set to, this is gona need some teamwork between madshi and aracnoz its a tough nut to crack since ive noticed this also happening in potplayer , its onscreen gui is also sluggish its something about how madvr works with gui elements apparently that needs fixing

2. xysubfilter support , as of currently is not working ,i set it as subfilter in filters, nothing shows up and nothing shows up in the loaded filters section either

3. add support for madvrs pixel shader feature like in potplayer aka post-resize and pre-resize options

thanks

and about x64 builds, no x64 build after all these years of xbmc aka kodi ? thats odd indeed
(2015-03-28, 03:28)hentai23 Wrote: so it would seem , aracnoz and madshi seems like theres more work to be done bros , from what i gather up till now , a few things :

1. kodi gui sluggish as all hell during playback no matter what prebuffer frames amount is set to, this is gona need some teamwork between madshi and aracnoz its a tough nut to crack since ive noticed this also happening in potplayer , its onscreen gui is also sluggish its something about how madvr works with gui elements apparently that needs fixing

2. xysubfilter support , as of currently is not working ,i set it as subfilter in filters, nothing shows up and nothing shows up in the loaded filters section either

3. add support for madvrs pixel shader feature like in potplayer aka post-resize and pre-resize options

thanks

and about x64 builds, no x64 build after all these years of xbmc aka kodi ? thats odd indeed

You might have to wait for a future version of madVR. It's currently version 0.87 and madshi has mentioned it is not yet feature complete (not yet a 1.0). But it could be something simple.
(2015-03-27, 20:13)oldpoem Wrote: It is debatable that MadVR Jinc3+AR gives superior visual quality over FFDShow AVisynth spline64 though with or without sharpening filter applied. But for weaker system it definitely better in many case. Not everyone would go out to buy new graphics card just to use Jinc3+AR in MadVR though.

What you like about apply sharpening is also debatable since most advance scaling algorithm do some of sharpening itself already. It just that what you want to manipulate /enhance it further or not. It's personal taste.

Also not everyone has AVR as well. Many users would benefit from audio processor.

It's ok that you don't want to include these since you won't use it. But I believe many would benefit from it and may found it suites their taste more. So it's all about options.

Most people don't use ffdshow these days, anymore. It's not actively developed, anymore. The main reason to still use it is if you want to do AviSynth processing. For scaling you should be aware of the shortcomings of ffdshow's spline64: It only works in 8bit, and it has no anti-ringing. In comparison madVR's algorithms work in 16bit+ and have anti-ringing. madVR's spline algorithm should be superior to ffdshow's algorithm for these 2 reasons. Jinc is even better, of course, but also more costly.

I do understand that if you have a very weak GPU but a strong CPU that you may want to use CPU scaling. In that case using ffdshow is a valid option. But even most integrated GPUs these days (e.g. Intel GPUs) are fast enough to run madVR's Spline/Lanczos or at least Bicubic algorithms. So using ffdshow for scaling is really only useful for rather old/slow GPUs.
It's nice to know. I don't have really weak system anymore. So I said from my experience. Right now my most used HTPC is running spline4+AR which is pretty good. My gaming rig is able to do Jinc4+AR or NNEID but I hardly used it to play movies though.

Also really thank you for this integration Madshi. It's rocks.
  • 87(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DSPlayer (DirectShow Player for XBMC) Frodo build available8