[RELEASE] Categories - Add your addons to categories
Hi,
because I had so much add-ons installed I wrote an addon for better organization.
You can add your installed video/audio/image addons to categories (via context menu).
Goto: "- Categories" -> "All Addons" and add the addons you want.

For shortcuts, you can use the following in combination with favourites.xml / Home Screen / Commands: (IDs - Video: 10025 | Audio: 10501 | Image: 10002)

Show all categories:
Code:
ActivateWindow(10025,plugin://script.categories/?content_type=video)
Show one category:
Code:
ActivateWindow(10025,plugin://script.categories/?content_type=video&mode=listCat&url=CATEGORY)
Show Video/Audio/Image selection:
Code:
RunPlugin(plugin://script.categories/)

You can install it via the xbmc.org eden/frodo repo...

v1.0.7:
- Added context menu for renaming categories
v1.0.6:
- Fixed "last category missing" bug
- Divided category-settings into video/audio/image
- Added main menu with content selection
- Added context menu for removing whole category
v1.0.5:
- Small bugfix
v1.0.4:
- Fixed addon handling under Eden
v1.0.3:
- Fixed encoding bug
- Changed addon id handling
v1.0.2:
- Fixed bug while handling invalid addon ids
v1.0.1:
- Fixed bug while removing from categories

Image Image
I like the idea of this, and it seems to work well so far. However I was thinking of using this and adding category folders to home menu shortcuts. This doesn't work (not sure if this is a skin or xbmc limitation). I then tried adding 'Addon Categories' as a shortcut which works but gets an error. Does anyone know what skin would support this?(currently using confluence)
(2013-02-03, 21:46)spyder Wrote: I like the idea of this, and it seems to work well so far. However I was thinking of using this and adding category folders to home menu shortcuts. This doesn't work (not sure if this is a skin or xbmc limitation). I then tried adding 'Addon Categories' as a shortcut which works but gets an error. Does anyone know what skin would support this?(currently using confluence)
I just added a category to favorites (Frodo with Confluence Skin) and it worked fine.
Seems to be a problem with your Skin / Xbmc Version. Adding to home menu should also work...
(2013-02-03, 21:46)spyder Wrote: I like the idea of this, and it seems to work well so far. However I was thinking of using this and adding category folders to home menu shortcuts. This doesn't work (not sure if this is a skin or xbmc limitation). I then tried adding 'Addon Categories' as a shortcut which works but gets an error. Does anyone know what skin would support this?(currently using confluence)
I changed something in v1.0.5 that might have influence on your problem. But you have to add the addons again because of the changes...
It works at favorite list, but from shortcut it gives error without showing any category. I am using Frodo.
use +/- ⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓
(2013-02-03, 21:46)spyder Wrote: However I was thinking of using this and adding category folders to home menu shortcuts. This doesn't work (not sure if this is a skin or xbmc limitation).
(2013-02-05, 10:45)ykhehra1 Wrote: It works at favorite list, but from shortcut it gives error without showing any category. I am using Frodo.

I just tried adding a home menu shortcut and it worked fine!

Entry for displaying all categories:
Code:
<item id="111">
  <label>Categories</label>
  <onclick>ActivateWindow(10025,plugin://script.categories/?content_type=video)</onclick>
</item>

Entry for displaying one category:
Code:
<item id="222">
  <label>TEST</label>
  <onclick>ActivateWindow(10025,plugin://script.categories/?content_type=video&mode=listCat&url=TEST)</onclick>
</item>
I will try the update(using Eden w/Confluence) I was getting the same error ykehhra1 described. I didn't try adding a category as a favorite because Confluence doesn't allow home menu shortcuts from favorites.
A dump question, which file I need to add these.
(2013-02-05, 14:03)AddonScriptorDE Wrote:
(2013-02-03, 21:46)spyder Wrote: However I was thinking of using this and adding category folders to home menu shortcuts. This doesn't work (not sure if this is a skin or xbmc limitation).
(2013-02-05, 10:45)ykhehra1 Wrote: It works at favorite list, but from shortcut it gives error without showing any category. I am using Frodo.

Code:
<item id="111">
  <onclick>ActivateWindow(10025,plugin://script.categories/?content_type=video)</onclick>
</item>

Code:
<item id="222">
  <label>TEST</label>
  <onclick>ActivateWindow(10025,plugin://script.categories/?content_type=video&mode=listCat&url=TEST)</onclick>
</item>

use +/- ⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓
Works well and really should have been implemented into xbmc from day 1 IMO so massive thumbs up to the creator.

My only feedback is the following,

Category 10 doesn't show for me in my list, when I scroll down I can only scroll down to see 9 available options and "manage category's".

When I used manage category's to edit the title of a category, it did this perfectly ... Until I exited the app nd re entered, where upon I had 2 category's showing in my list? One called the original "news" category and a new one called "news/sports" that I edited via manage category's... Problem is... The news catagory only shows the news apps, and the edited title of "news/sports" only shows the sports apps I added to the "news/sports" section..

Big Grin

Does that make sense...

Basically, create a category called "Test" add an app to this category... Then go to manage category's and change its name to "test1" and add another app...

Now exit app...

Re-enter app and you will see at the home screen section that you have 2 category's called "test" and "test1" hich both hold only 1 app each... But in our top 10 category list you will only have 1 "test" category called "test1"..

I think I just sprained my frontal lobe explaining that lol...

Hopefully you can make sense of that bug report, plus cn we have the ability o add more than 10 catagorys please Smile
(2013-02-05, 21:43)ykhehra1 Wrote: A dump question, which file I need to add these.
(2013-02-05, 14:03)AddonScriptorDE Wrote:

Code:
<item id="111">
</item>

Code:
<item id="222">
  <label>TEST</label>
</item>
You need to edit the home.xml of your Skin...
Default Confluence skin: "/XBMCInstallDir/addons/skin.confluence/720p/home.xml".
Other skins: "/XBMCUserDataDir/addons/skin.*/720p/home.xml".

(2013-02-05, 22:06)PatrickBateman Wrote: Works well and really should have been implemented into xbmc from day 1 IMO so massive thumbs up to the creator.

My only feedback is the following,

Category 10 doesn't show for me in my list, when I scroll down I can only scroll down to see 9 available options and "manage category's".

When I used manage category's to edit the title of a category, it did this perfectly ... Until I exited the app nd re entered, where upon I had 2 category's showing in my list? One called the original "news" category and a new one called "news/sports" that I edited via manage category's... Problem is... The news catagory only shows the news apps, and the edited title of "news/sports" only shows the sports apps I added to the "news/sports" section..

Big Grin

Does that make sense...

Basically, create a category called "Test" add an app to this category... Then go to manage category's and change its name to "test1" and add another app...

Now exit app...

Re-enter app and you will see at the home screen section that you have 2 category's called "test" and "test1" hich both hold only 1 app each... But in our top 10 category list you will only have 1 "test" category called "test1"..

I think I just sprained my frontal lobe explaining that lol...

Hopefully you can make sense of that bug report, plus cn we have the ability o add more than 10 catagorys please Smile
Thanks for your feedback! Smile This "bug" isnt really a bug...
The defined categories are these ones, which show up when adding an addon to a category.
So when renaming a category, the edited title only shows up in the "Choose category" list when adding addons. Maybe Im going to change that - But it has some disadvantages...

I will have a look at this "missing" last category! Wink
The category-settings will be divided in "Video/Audio/Image" for the next version. 20 categories per content type should be enough !?!
I see Smile

Yea it caused me a huge headache as now some of my plugins are in incorrectly labeled folders that I can't edit or delete Sad

Or can I do this manually in the xmls?

I had
1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 and renamed 2 to "news" then I decided to add my sports apps to the same as the news catagory.. But when I changed the name of catagory 2 from "news" to "news/sports" and started adding plugins to this catagory this wasn't replicated on the front page.. Now I have 2 catagorys on the front page that sent replicated in the top 10... And both those folders hold apps that aren't the correct apps for the catagorys name, as when I added the sports apps to the "news/sports" catagory, I thought that editing the title, it would keep the same folder (jut change the title) and add the sports apps to the same folder as the news apps but just change the title of the folder... But it didn't, it then added the sports apps to their own folder called "news/sports" but this folder doesn't contain the news apps that we're originally in that folder Big Grin

Hopefully and update will allow us to edit the folders on the main page, and ammed their titles etc.

Other than that, this is an absolute god send of an app! This really should have been a part of xbmc by default and top marks for doing it. I've been going through my apps all day and find my self now using apps tht I previously forgot about.

Awesome job and looking forward to the next update Smile
With v1.0.6 I fixed the "missing category bug" and divided the settings into video/audio/image (You have to re-define the category names because of thatSad). 20 categories per content type...
You can now also remove whole categories via context menu.

(2013-02-06, 00:14)PatrickBateman Wrote: I see Smile

Yea it caused me a huge headache as now some of my plugins are in incorrectly labeled folders that I can't edit or delete Sad

Or can I do this manually in the xmls?
Yes, its a simple text file:
Code:
../XBMC/userdata/addon_data/script.categories/categories.list
Awesome!
Most useful script around. They really should just build this directly into xbmc, it's that useful!

Thanks for the info plus update.
(2013-02-06, 02:18)PatrickBateman Wrote: Awesome!
Most useful script around. They really should just build this directly into xbmc, it's that useful!

Thanks for the info plus update.
Nice to hear! Smile
I also missed addon categories before - Thats why I made this...

Working now in 1.0.6. When you posted you got this working as a home menu shortcut here, I'm guessing this was a home.xml edit to show up as one of the the main categories(PICTURES/VIDEOS/ETC..) I was referring to using the skin's add-on shortcut to add a single category(which I think is a limitation to the skin). I am capable of editing the home.xml but I know others who would never attempt that. Also, your first post now lists the favourites.xml, does this mean we can add favorites to categories?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Categories - Add your addons to categories7