Next PVR with Hauppauge HVR-2250
I set up XBMC on my HTPC about 10 month ago and got everything "perfect" about 8 months ago. I've finally gotten antsy enough to make some changes and continue improving. I'm going to reinstall my Hauppauge 2250 and use XBMC for live TV/DVR. If all goes well I'm going to look into getting a Ceton cablecard tuner in order to access all my channels.

I know the Tv support for XBMC is one of the big new features in Frodo and I was wondering if anyone has answers to some of my questions yet...

Is my Hauppauge Tuner a good choice, any known problems?

If I have my Harmony remote setup for XBMC already will any changes need to be made?

Is anyone here running a Ceton InfiniTv tuner, if so how is it working out?

Thanks for your help. I'll try to give back to the community as much as possible.
(2013-02-06, 01:59)brandon667 Wrote: I set up XBMC on my HTPC about 10 month ago and got everything "perfect" about 8 months ago. I've finally gotten antsy enough to make some changes and continue improving. I'm going to reinstall my Hauppauge 2250 and use XBMC for live TV/DVR. If all goes well I'm going to look into getting a Ceton cablecard tuner in order to access all my channels.

I know the Tv support for XBMC is one of the big new features in Frodo and I was wondering if anyone has answers to some of my questions yet...

Is my Hauppauge Tuner a good choice, any known problems?

If I have my Harmony remote setup for XBMC already will any changes need to be made?

Is anyone here running a Ceton InfiniTv tuner, if so how is it working out?

Thanks for your help. I'll try to give back to the community as much as possible.

I have a Hauppauge 2250 and Harmony One. Let me take a kick at this - I've had a couple Trap Rochford 10 beer so pardon my drunk.

>Is my Hauppauge Tuner a good choice, any known problems?
Nope. Hauppauge has been around for a while and makes great stable cards. I use NextPVR with my Hauppauge because it's recognized as a 3rd party app. It works really well with NextPVR as a backend. I haven't used the LiveTV function of XBMC with NPVR too much since the official V12 release, but with my experimentation during RC3 - it was stable. There was the odd "NPVR Client not available" error but I haven't had that issue since the Official Frodo. If you use NPVR as your backend, make sure you apply the patch that's found on the NPVR XBMC Forums.

>If I have my Harmony remote setup for XBMC already will any changes need to be made?
No. I have a Harmony one firing into a WMC IR Receiver and Flirc IR. No changes.

>Is anyone here running a Ceton InfiniTv tuner, if so how is it working out?
Yes, there are other people here running Ceton. But I'm not one of them - Good luck.

Thanks A_team!
I wrote the hook between NextPVR and SageDCT that controls the Ceton and it works fine and creates good ts files. The problem is XBMC doesn't always like the files but AFAIK no one has tasked XBMC devs to look into why. I personally can't help because there's no cablecard here in Canada to test or provide samples or I'd probably try to code it myself. It's not a hard fix I suspect they just need to select the correct a/v PIDs

For that reason if it's a choice I'd recommend the HDHR Prime or Hauppauge DVR. These are natively supported by NextPVR with a better ts writer.

Martin
I am running a 2250. The major issue I had with the card was that it is NOT supported in Windows Server 2008 R2. I thought about hacking together the dlls and stuff to get it work, but decided to format my server and put on Win 7 Professional. After that everything worked as intended. This issue isn't specific to the 2250. Hupp doesn't support any of their cards on Server 2008 R2.

Overall, I have had some streaming issues (sometimes things will rebuffer and stutter). Getting the R2 cumulative fixes for NextPVR installed helped alot. I haven't had much time with the fixes in place to see how well things are running now. Just installed them yesterday.

Ohh and if you want timeshifting setup, there is an option in the nextpvr xbmc plugin config, on the advanced screen to turn it on inside xbmc.
It's not Hauppage specific either. Out of the box Win 2008 and 2012 Server don't support BDA drivers required for digital tuners.

Martin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Next PVR with Hauppauge HVR-22500