Got 2 PCs 1 with XBMC but need to access media files in 2 locations can it be done?
I've got an HTPC that is hooked up to my TV which is running XBMC on it and upstairs in my house I have another computer that is running Windows 7 on it. How do I get them to talk to each other? I'm constantly having to have a copy of a movie on my PC upstairs and then another on my HTPC so that people downstairs can watch a movie and people upstairs can watch the same movie if they want to. Is there a way to make it centralized so that both PC's access the the same libraries of movies? If so someone direct me in how to do this...

Thanks
Hi,

just store your files on one machine, and access it via SMB (Windows share) from the other.
e.g. your files are on your pc upstairs, you share the folder where the are in, and set this folder as a source in XBMC downstairs. should work in both ways.

the problem is, that you always have both machines running.
flabbamann....

thanks for the response. So if I do what you say then I can just go into XBMC and the movie be right where it should be?

I was also hoping to be able to access that same folder on my Android phone and I see WebDAV clients are available for the smartphone. Do you know if WebDAV will work between the two computers also? If you not or you don't know then is there another way to access it on the phone too?

WebDAV will work between two computers. I've used my iPhone like that a lot. If you do both computers at the same time you might max out the wifi radio on the phone, but other than that, it should work.
Hi,
I never tried WebDAV...
I share everything via SMB at my home LAN.
I you do so, you can easily add the share to your media sources in xbmc the same way as they were on a local drive.

From my android I can access the shares using Total Commander with LAN plugin.
es file explorer on android works great with smb as well

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Got 2 PCs 1 with XBMC but need to access media files in 2 locations can it be done?0