Bug?: Jumpyness in in frame rate selection
So, i have an XBMC installation in a primarily 50p world (europe), and most content i have there is also 50i/p (but of course there is also 30/60p content). With the default setup,
60p would be the default frame rate for XBMC OSD, and what happens then is that every time i play back 50p/i content, XBMC/Xorg changes frame rate, and the projector (PT-AX100E) goes through a mechanical refocus cycle, eg: you hear it doing things, picture turns blue and then back on. Aka: it takes time and it sounds as if it ages the projector. So you want to avoid doing this for the mayority of your content.

So, i chaned my modeline in xorg.conf to be:

Section "Screen"
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1920x1080_50" "1920x1080_60" "1920x1080_24"
EndSubSection
EndSection

This solves the immediate problem: normal XBMC OSD uses 50p (first framerate in list), and the poor projector only has to change frame rates for the minor part of content that uses 60i/p and 24p. Great.

Unfortunately, what happens now is that XBMC seemingly selects the wrong framerate of 50p for 60p files. And then of course the playback becomes very jumpy (60p playback synchronized to 50hz: slow playback then big jump, slow playback, big jump,...).
59.94fps playback actually works nice and selects 60Hz frame rate, and all the other rates in files also select the right framerate of the projector.

When i use the "natural" order again:

Section "Screen"
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1920x1080_60" "1920x1080_50" "1920x1080_24"
EndSubSection
EndSection

The problem goes away, but of course then for every 50p file the projector needs to change frame rate.

I have not tried to pull logs because i was hoping somebody else could easily check whether or not he/she can reproduce this by appropriately changing the order of frame rates in the modeline to see if this is unique to my installation or a simple bug in the frame-rate selection algorithm in XBMC.

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bug?: Jumpyness in in frame rate selection0