XBMC on ATV2 5.2 / iOS 6.x support added
@Steverae - the problem we had (and the lot of work i had to do) for making xbmc compatible with ios 5.2 on atv2 really suggests that apple took 10 steps away from doing a SDK tbh. (it was much more "SDK" - like in the older ios versions for atv2).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Sorry how do I do a debug log and send it ?
Having the same issue with mobilesubstrate

SSH Log: apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=ExBV3thQ

SSH Log: apt-get -f install
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Be7meBp3

2nd SSH Log: apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
http://pastebin.com/pi60mRtZ

A little more info, when I first logged in, I ran "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade". I'm guessing it's the "apt-get upgrade" that is causing the issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*EDIT*
*A restore/re-jailbreak & NOT running "apt-get upgrade" resolved the issue*
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Mike
I'm having a similar problem. If I use my silver Apple remote everything works fine. If I use my Bluetooth keyboard it goes to a "xbmc is starting screen.
@cwb79 Don't have any bluetooth keyboards. Consider this a known issue then cause i'm not able to look into it. Or you post the syslog from /var/log/syslog and i might be able to see the problem...

@apehead1 read the debug log (wiki) link

@VladTepz yep the apt-get upgrade is a bad idea since it will update other libs and might screw the system.

Imho a straight update/install would go with

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

For syslog try:

Code:
sudo apt-get install pastebinit -y
cat > /var/log/syslog
#HIT CTRL+D to abort the prompt
killall AppleTV
#NOW START XBMC AND REPRODUCE THE ISSUE!
#AFTERWARDS DO
cat /var/log/syslog | pastebinit

Post the link the last command gives you
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I have the system log open on my screen still confused
What to do next?
Do I wait till I reproduce the problem and then do something

I have installed xbmc log uploader
I uploaded log via xbmc log uploader from what I read can you confirm I need to allow the debug screen up until it happens again correct?
So it just happened. and I had the debug on the screen While using the keyboard hmmm that's must be it. It's stuck on xbmc is starting.

I will unplug and replug in and upload via the uploader.

Is this the correct way to do it?
I need the syslog now... post the syslog to pastebin.com and put the link in here. If syslog is to big just give me the last 500 lines or so.

Also does this happen on pressing any special keys on the keyboard?

I know its confusing - but just for clarification. xbmc.log is something different then syslog. The Log uploader addon will only provide me xbmc.log - but in this case i need the syslog (we don't have an addon for this cause its pretty ios specific - so you need to put this on pastebin.com by hand).
do I go into terminal mode and type all this

sudo apt-get install pastebinit -y
cat > /var/log/syslog
#HIT CTRL+D to abort the prompt
killall AppleTV
#NOW START XBMC AND REPRODUCE THE ISSUE!
#AFTERWARDS DO
cat /var/log/syslog | pastebinit
The lines prefixed with "#" you don't type but do what they say Wink

But yes - you do this on the ssh terminal of the atv2.
when i type sudo apt-get install pastebinit -y says command not found
(2013-02-22, 05:54)RRmalvado Wrote: Any XBMC reason to update the ATV2 to iOS 6.x? I'm assuming there's less usable memory.

Actually, it's gone from having around 19M inactive with xbmc running on 5.x to 37M inactive in 6.x, and a moderate reduction in the CPU use. Still not enough to playback styles subtitles without stuttering or crashing out due to memory overflow.
(2013-02-22, 19:05)barberio Wrote:
(2013-02-22, 05:54)RRmalvado Wrote: Any XBMC reason to update the ATV2 to iOS 6.x? I'm assuming there's less usable memory.

Actually, it's gone from having around 19M inactive with xbmc running on 5.x to 37M inactive in 6.x, and a moderate reduction in the CPU use. Still not enough to playback styles subtitles without stuttering or crashing out due to memory overflow.

So you're saying that it's better now with iOS 6.x (Apple TV 5.2) than with iOS 5.x (Apple TV 5.0.2)?
(2013-02-22, 19:25)baruchin Wrote:
(2013-02-22, 19:05)barberio Wrote:

So you're saying that it's better now with iOS 6.x (Apple TV 5.2) than with iOS 5.x (Apple TV 5.0.2)?

Only marginally. You still can't get good playback with styled subtitles, and this doesn't change the hardware video acceleration capabilities. 1080i AVC is still unplayable, 10bit AVC is going to cause you problems. But it does look like Apple have trimmed the fat a bit in this update.

So far I'd say that if like me you still use your ATV2 for Apple services, there doesn't yet appear to be a significant downside in going from 5.0.2 to 5.2.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on ATV2 5.2 / iOS 6.x support added5