Harmony Touch Alternative?
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Logitech Harmony Touch for my HTPC/XBMC. Its the first Logitech remote I've bought. Really like it except for the widely reported lag, especially with XBMC. Unfortunately the lag is so frustrating I think I'm gonna have to replace it with something else.

Here's what I've tried to fix it:
  • Adjusting all delays (inter-key etc) to every combination I can think of
  • Activity with MCE keyboard on it own
  • Activity with MCE Remote on its own
  • Activity with both MCE keyboard and remote
  • Learning commands from the original remote
  • Plex commands

Nothing makes any difference. I'm using a HP media center RC6 IR, Foxconn nt-A3700 and 2.99.2 generic build of OpenELEC.

So is there something like the Harmony Touch out there? My needs are:
  • Touch screen for non-physical key commands
  • Control multiple devices with physicals keys e.g. volume keys control amp, direction keys XBMC
  • Charging method, preferably docking station
  • Backlit

Possible contenders are:
http://www.oneforall.com/en_UK/product/1...ight-touch
http://www.philips.co.uk/c/remote-contro...15_10/prd/

I'd love to know your thoughts Smile
maybe it's your RC6 IR ?

doing fine here with my harmony one. totally lag free, after some delay adjustmentsin the harmony software. i'm using flirc as my IR.
i can really recommend this combo.
(2013-02-09, 16:55)QLink Wrote: maybe it's your RC6 IR ?

doing fine here with my harmony one. totally lag free, after some delay adjustmentsin the harmony software. i'm using flirc as my IR.

What are your delays set to? I have some minor lag, but would like to know what others are using that works for them.
(2013-02-09, 16:55)QLink Wrote: maybe it's your RC6 IR ?

Thanks for the reply. I have the lag in other devices unfortunately. Not quite as bad as XBMC though, but only noticeable when navigating e.g. inputting EPG search text on my Freesat box. I think because the nature of XBMC includes a lot of navigating through lists, the lag becomes too much to put up with.

I'd be interested to hear your input settings too Smile
I'd like to hear what settings people are using too, mine are all on 100ms apart from power on which is 1000ms and its not too bad but could definitely be better!
Well, the Harmony has been returned and replaced with a Philips SRT8215.

It was definitely the right decision. No lag whatsoever with this thing Smile The Philips does quite a few things better than the Logitech:

Pros
- No lag in any device inc XBMC
- Sits better in the hand. The weighting/balance is far better than the Harmony Touch
- The direction keys are in the correct place i.e. bang in the middle, where your thumbs can easily reach
- The screen is in the correct place i.e. at the top. No other buttons above it!
- Grid layout of soft buttons works better than scrolling down a long list IMO
- Playback buttons are better placed
- Better backlighting of all keys
- Screen is resistive rather than capacitive. No more accidentally firing off activities. You can just leave your thumb lightly resting on it without issue.
- USB port is easy to plug in to
- Does not wobble like the Harmony Touch, so I can operate it whilst on a table or sofa arm.
- Cost me a third of the price of the Harmony Touch!

But of course there have to be some cons:

Cons
- The software is some way behind Logitech's. I often had to almost trick the software into doing what I want. but with a bit of time I got everything working satisfactorily.
- Changing the hard keys commands is at device level. I cant seem to find a way to do this only on an activity.
- No macro commands on a single hard button
- The activities only have startup commands. There is no customisation for power off commands. This is a problem for me when viewing TV upstairs. I route the signal with a HDMI splitter from my amp, but because the software doesn't think the amp is used (volume set to upstairs tv), it doesn't manage the power on/off. I can add the power on in the activity, but as there is no power off section to the activity, the amp stays on. I got around this by adding a "Amp Off" command to the soft keys. So for upstairs activities its a 2 button press to power off.

But overall the pros easily outweigh the cons. The Philips does the really important things right. I'm happy Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Harmony Touch Alternative?0