When will XBMC play 3D video?
If the team has plan to add this feature in future?
Side by side or top and bottom work now. MVC seems to need an external player.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Tuesday
(2013-02-14, 09:53)Ned Scott Wrote: Tuesday

Lol
@wjhtinger

NOTE: Although a day has been announced "Tuesday", no year or actual date was mentioned....
* un1versal points to Tuesday the 30th of February

uNi
wjhtinger - could you please be a bit more precise? Watching TAB or SBS movies is already possible. The only thing that's still missing is that the GUI is rendered accordingly to those setups. Work has already be done in this direction by elupus (initial work/support) and has been picked up lately by pieh and improved a bit. It's already working rather well (I tested a custom build with this) - but it's not yet perfect and some sort of autodetection to automatically switch the GUI into according mode is also missing atm. Problem is, that pieh doesn't have any 3D device where he could test the changes he made so far and thus kinda lost interest for now.

What's not working at all atm (AFAIK) is playback of 3D blurays in 3D mode and AFAIK no work has been done in that direction so far. No idea if ffmpeg (the video decoding library we depend on) needs to support it or if it's something we have to add on top ourselves.
(2013-02-14, 15:05)da-anda Wrote: wjhtinger - could you please be a bit more precise? Watching TAB or SBS movies is already possible. The only thing that's still missing is that the GUI is rendered accordingly to those setups. Work has already be done in this direction by elupus (initial work/support) and has been picked up lately by pieh and improved a bit. It's already working rather well (I tested a custom build with this) - but it's not yet perfect and some sort of autodetection to automatically switch the GUI into according mode is also missing atm. Problem is, that pieh doesn't have any 3D device where he could test the changes he made so far and thus kinda lost interest for now.

What's not working at all atm (AFAIK) is playback of 3D blurays in 3D mode and AFAIK no work has been done in that direction so far. No idea if ffmpeg (the video decoding library we depend on) needs to support it or if it's something we have to add on top ourselves.

Thanks for giving a proper explanation.
(2013-02-14, 15:05)da-anda Wrote: wjhtinger - could you please be a bit more precise? Watching TAB or SBS movies is already possible. The only thing that's still missing is that the GUI is rendered accordingly to those setups. Work has already be done in this direction by elupus (initial work/support) and has been picked up lately by pieh and improved a bit. It's already working rather well (I tested a custom build with this) - but it's not yet perfect and some sort of autodetection to automatically switch the GUI into according mode is also missing atm. Problem is, that pieh doesn't have any 3D device where he could test the changes he made so far and thus kinda lost interest for now.

The M3 models of the Pivos XIOS support MVC according the wiki (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AMLogic_devices). Having that on the XIOS, with the eventual HD audio support and 1080p problem fixed, would give the device's Linux build everything I could ever want with the exception of Netflix/Amazon streaming and an actual optical drive.
The M3 models use their own demuxer/codec/whatever - so MVC doesn't necessarily apply to any other platform/hardware atm. And as said - works is/was being done but has stalled atm. As I'm now also owner of a 3D TV and began to like it I might be pushing the according devs a bit every now and then to go a bit further or play their test-monkey if they need one. Let's see how this develops.
Well the M3 only plays the file in 2d currently (good for non 3d screens obviously). Fingers crossed on this and something for netflix.
I have 3d Telly, (LG) - I am happy to do some testing - I'll try and find the right place to make that offer.

mythtv have preliminary support for rendering subtitles and OSD in the 3D plane, but I think the developer who was handling it may have left theproject, so stalled again!

http://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/18...24e/mythtv

But if you want to play a SBS or TAB movie and don't need subtitles, no problem.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
da-anda - Thanks for your kindly reply. Recently I get a new projector with 3D function and did a simple test of playing 3D video file in HDD by XBMC, but not successfully. Actually I dont know too much about 3D video, only test that playing the 3D video file by Stereoscopic Player is OK. I think that I may miss something or something wrong when use XBMC to play 3D video. And I will try ti again, do more test and get more imformation. Any question let you know.

And from above the discussing, XBMC dose not support showing subtitle still in 3D playback, dose it? I think this is a problem.

(2013-02-14, 15:05)da-anda Wrote: It's already working rather well (I tested a custom build with this) - but it's not yet perfect and some sort of autodetection to automatically switch the GUI into according mode is also missing atm.

The auto-detection when playing SBS movies is for me the most critical feature in my opinion (much more important than a 3D GUI or even sub-titles). Does anyone know whether this is technically even feasible and anyone working on it? Thanks in advance!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2013-02-15, 03:08)wjhtinger Wrote: da-anda - Thanks for your kindly reply. Recently I get a new projector with 3D function and did a simple test of playing 3D video file in HDD by XBMC, but not successfully. Actually I dont know too much about 3D video, only test that playing the 3D video file by Stereoscopic Player is OK. I think that I may miss something or something wrong when use XBMC to play 3D video. And I will try ti again, do more test and get more imformation. Any question let you know.

And from above the discussing, XBMC dose not support showing subtitle still in 3D playback, dose it? I think this is a problem.

You tell us damn all about the video you were trying to play. There are basically a few ways of distributing a 3D video. Bear in mind that you are sending two video streams, one for each eye.

1. MVC is used by bluray. One eye's stream is sent complete, and this is essentially the 2d version of the movie. The other eye is stored as the difference between the two eyes, so the second stream is created from the first stream combined with the difference. The storage requirements are much less than storing both eyes complete. The software is complex and

2. top and bottom (TAB) or side by side (SBS) store both images in one frame, but of course they are half resolution. The TV/Projector combines them. You see 3D but a 1920x1080 file will have each frame as 960x1080 for SBS or 1920x540 for TAB. These files are usually a result of ripping an MVC file and reprocessing it.

3. There is also a process involving two colours, which I haven't seen in practice (although I have been to a movie in the old days), but again your TV will process that.

What did you see when you played the video concerned in xbmc?

Also the filename might give you a clue, SBS or OU are often in the filename. (OU= over and under, the alternative name to TAB)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
When will XBMC play 3D video?2