High CPU only when on Movies or TV item of home menu
Is anyone looking at fixing this? I note neither this thread oor the ticket have been updated in five months, which isn't very encouraging.
(2013-08-06, 03:29)abutkus Wrote: 2.) enable dirty regions my settings:

Dirty regions algorithm 3 is already the default (indeed the only supported value for stable R-Pi releases).

Less than 30% idle is fairly easily achievable, even with stock skins and the YouTube addon enabled, however the CPU can end up pegged at 100% due to other bugs (possibly dirty regions related) and most often (though not always) seen when the Movies and TV Shows menus are highlighted (possibly linked to Recent Movies/TV Shows addon?). To avoid high CPU, never leave your Pi idle on the Movies/TV Shows menus...
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-08-06, 05:11)MilhouseVH Wrote: Less than 30% idle is fairly easily achievable, even with stock skins and the YouTube addon enabled, however the CPU can end up pegged at 100% due to other bugs (possibly dirty regions related) and most often (though not always) seen when the Movies and TV Shows menus are highlighted (possibly linked to Recent Movies/TV Shows addon?). To avoid high CPU, never leave your Pi idle on the Movies/TV Shows menus...

I wouldn't say less than 30% idle is "fairly easily achievable". The best skin I've found for CPU usage so far is xTV-SAF and even that won't go lower than around 45% on Home. Both the Weather and Settings menus seem to be worse than Movies or TV Shows, even with this skin which appears to not have a way to disable recently added.
(2013-08-06, 04:12)doveman2 Wrote: Is anyone looking at fixing this? I note neither this thread oor the ticket have been updated in five months, which isn't very encouraging.

Don't expect trac tickets or forum threads to be any indication of developer activity. Sometimes they can be an indication, but most often they are not. Most devs only post about stuff when it is ready or near ready.
(2013-08-06, 13:09)Ned Scott Wrote: Don't expect trac tickets or forum threads to be any indication of developer activity. Sometimes they can be an indication, but most often they are not. Most devs only post about stuff when it is ready or near ready.

Fair enough. I got the (obviously wrong) impression from pieh's post that a ticket would be used to keep track of things, hence I thought it would be regularly updated with the current status and progress, whether it had been assigned, etc.
(2013-08-06, 15:18)doveman2 Wrote:
(2013-08-06, 13:09)Ned Scott Wrote: Don't expect trac tickets or forum threads to be any indication of developer activity. Sometimes they can be an indication, but most often they are not. Most devs only post about stuff when it is ready or near ready.

Fair enough. I got the (obviously wrong) impression from pieh's post that a ticket would be used to keep track of things, hence I thought it would be regularly updated with the current status and progress, whether it had been assigned, etc.

once assigned it could take a long time before it's ever fixed. could also be within days. really depends on the needed/available time and how intrusive the fix is
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
You'll get a better response by gathering more information.

visualizedirtyregions (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=advancedsettings.xml) should show you the "dirty" regions that are cauing the issue.
Normally that would just be animating/scrolling regions of the screen, but that bug is probably causing stationary parts of the screen to be considered dirty.

Use this in conjunction with:
<algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>

and a nightly build (e.g. rbej's Gotham build) and investigate what parts of the screen are incorrectly marked as dirty.
Maybe but it's a waste of time doing all that if the problem's already understood and there are plans to fix it, hence why it's useful to have updates on tickets so we know what the deal is.
(2013-08-06, 15:48)doveman2 Wrote: Maybe but it's a waste of time doing all that if the problem's already understood and there are plans to fix it, hence why it's useful to have updates on tickets so we know what the deal is.
99% certain it is not being worked on.
(2013-08-06, 18:50)popcornmix Wrote: 99% certain it is not being worked on.

OK, I just remember seeing that rbej's recent builds said something about the other dirty algorithms possibly working now, so assumed someone must be working on it.

If there's still no-one working on this after all this time though, I'm not sure my posting the information you suggested is going to make anyone start! If someone was assigned to it and requested that users do some tests, post information, etc that would be fine but otherwise it feels like whistling into the wind.
I also have this problem, using a small thin client system with Atom N280 1.66Ghz CPU / CrystalHD. Gotham/Confluence on Linux. On home menu with nothing moving, when on any screen that shows recently added items on top. CPU usage reported by top (hyperthreading) is around 50% (25-30% actual CPU usage) I also use this machine as a home server so it's on 24/7.

Solution is to just disable recently added items in the skin settings, but it is still weird and should be fixed. When the recently added items are disabled idle usage is down to around 3-4%.
I wish I could get it down to 3-4%! On my RPi overclocked to 1000/333, even with Recently Added disabled it only goes down to 27-30%. With Recently Added disabled, it's around 38% but it seems to depend on which Movies are shown up top, as if I scroll highlight a title which is long enough to scroll, that pushes it to 84% and it stays there even after I move to another title and the scrolling stops.

If I then switch categories from Movies to Videos, it drops down to 30% but goes back up to 84% when I go back to Movies.
(2013-08-06, 15:43)popcornmix Wrote: You'll get a better response by gathering more information.

visualizedirtyregions (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=advancedsettings.xml) should show you the "dirty" regions that are cauing the issue.
Normally that would just be animating/scrolling regions of the screen, but that bug is probably causing stationary parts of the screen to be considered dirty.

Use this in conjunction with:
<algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>

and a nightly build (e.g. rbej's Gotham build) and investigate what parts of the screen are incorrectly marked as dirty.

I tried that but it makes the CPU run at 83%+ (with top) constantly, so it's pretty impossible to tell if anything's loading the CPU.

Anyway, most of the time when I'd expect to experience high CPU, there's no dirty regions showing, so that's obviously not the cause of it most of the time. The only one I did pick up is when going to the Recently Added movies at the top of the screen, moving onto one which starts the title scrolling, then moving to the right to next one, it leaves a dirty region square overlapping the edge of the two title boxes. Only scrolling the movies until these two go off the screen makes this square disappear, so that explains the problem I reported above.

A place where I see high CPU but not dirty regions is in Settings, when the right-hand pane is active. In the left-hand pane, the CPU is only 20% but as soon as I move to the right, it goes to 90% and stays there. With visualizedirtyregions on it was around 50-54% in either pane, so that obviously interferes with something.
(2013-08-15, 20:20)doveman2 Wrote: I wish I could get it down to 3-4%! On my RPi overclocked to 1000/333, even with Recently Added disabled it only goes down to 27-30%. With Recently Added disabled, it's around 38% but it seems to depend on which Movies are shown up top, as if I scroll highlight a title which is long enough to scroll, that pushes it to 84% and it stays there even after I move to another title and the scrolling stops.

If I then switch categories from Movies to Videos, it drops down to 30% but goes back up to 84% when I go back to Movies.

To be fair, as meager as the Atom N280 is it is still much more powerful than the RPi so I doubt you'll ever see XBMC idling at nothing unless they change the UI over to something event based and I don't see them overhauling the UI for many many years. I am pretty happy with my idle performance now at least on my atom box.
I've had a look to see if this issue has an easy fix:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1344888

Basically if a GUIListLabel has ever been focused and started scrolling, it continues to trigger dirty rectangle updates when un-focused and no longer scrolling.

I've tracked it down to here:
Code:
void CGUIListGroup::SetState(bool selected, bool focused)
{
  for (iControls it = m_children.begin(); it != m_children.end(); it++)
  {
    if ((*it)->GetControlType() == CGUIControl::GUICONTROL_LISTLABEL)
    {
      CGUIListLabel *label = (CGUIListLabel *)(*it);
      label->SetSelected(selected);
      label->SetScrolling(focused);
    }
  }
}

Basically my long label ("X-Men: The Last Stand") is visible in the "recently added movies" part of screen (Confluence). And initally it gets a stream of:
SetSelected 0xae1be590: 0
SetScrolling 0xae1be590: 0

(the first number is the "this" pointer, the second the parameter. I only print info when the label text matches "X-Men: The Last Stand").

and CPU usage remains low. Once it is highlighted, then it starts to scroll and CPU usage goes high (fair enough). However I now get:
SetSelected 0x2f3aa70: 0
SetScrolling 0x2f3aa70: 1
SetSelected 0x2e588d8: 0
SetScrolling 0x2e588d8: 1

So there are now two items with the "X-Men: The Last Stand" label. Both set to scrolling.

When I highlight a different movie (so scrolling should stop) I now get (repeated):
SetFocus 0x2f3aa70: 0
SetScrolling 0x2f3aa70: 0
SetFocus 0x2e588d8: 0
SetScrolling 0x2e588d8: 0
SetSelected 0x2f3aa70: 0
SetScrolling 0x2f3aa70: 1
SetSelected 0x2e588d8: 0
SetScrolling 0x2e588d8: 1
SetSelected 0xae1be590: 0
SetScrolling 0xae1be590: 0

We now have 3 items with the "X-Men: The Last Stand" label.
One of the items is still considered scrolling (from the label->SetScrolling(focused) code above).
This means we get continuous high CPU even though nothing is visibly animating.
We also now start getting SetFocus calls which we hadn't up until now.

I don't really know enough about how this should be working to know where to go next.
It seems very suspicious that there are two, and then three GUIListLabelitems with the same label. Feels like there is some missing delete occurring.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
High CPU only when on Movies or TV item of home menu0