My Build (Win 8, ION/ATOM, HTPC + NAS )
So, I have been using XBMC for quite a while now, and I finally built a system around it. I just wanted to share what I did, some of the problems I ran into, and some of the extras that are used in the build.
Hardware:
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Mini-ITX $45
HDD x3: 3 Tb Seagate (9tb total) 3x100$
OS Drive: Some refurb SSD i found for 30$
MOBO - IONITX Dual Core Atom, 1st generation. Price -- bought off a friend + 4gig ram +psu for 80 bucks. Not sure what it was going for new
Windows 8 -- Free through my school, probably in the 140$ range still, at least for an "upgrade".

Total cost to me, ~450$.

The final machine fits in my tv stand just fine, and is slightly quieter then an idle xbox360. I bought a kill-a-watt, I will post the power consumption later.

I am using the Windows 8 Storage Spaces, set up in a parity mode (software raid 5, basically). I am given a total of 5.5tb formatted space to use, with 1 HDD failure tolerance. You cannot boot off of the software raid, so you need a separate boot disk. I have about 10gig free on my 30gig SSD, but i think there is some useless data on it that could make a tiny bit more room. I DO NOT recommend using less then a 30gig.

The Zotac mobo only has 3 sata ports, and 1 esata. I could not get a way to add another without a USB adapter, and it just wasn't worth it. A mobo w/ a PCI slot or 2 would be lovely. I have the boot drive on a ESATA cable that loops back into the case, and have no way to attach an internal dvd drive. No loss for me, but i wanted to put it in just for completeness sake.

Windows 8 storage spaces has a delay in accessing! If the drives idle for a while, something goes into standby, and it takes ~10 seconds for the drives to be accessible again. Once accessible, you will notice no slowdowns until left to idle for a long time again This barely affects me, and only when i go to play the first song or open a video file. After that it works fine.
Also, the Storage Space software is quite a bottleneck. On my Gigabit wired network, transfers sit at about 25MBps, although they start out at close to 60. This is not a fast i/o solution, but works fine in a media server/documents solution. Just don't try playing games off it over the network.

On to the software:
I have
Media Monkey (free) (music player. BEST EVER)
XBMC (free) (Media center)
Internet Explorer for emergencies (I like to keep things in the Windows8 fullscreen mode. Once firefox gets a win8 metro interface, i will switch. Adblock!)
Hulu+ ($8/month) (TV shows)
SABNZBD + Sickbeard for automated downloads of stuff. (free + usenet service)
Airfoil 25$ (Play to airplay enabled devices)

Additional H/W -- 1 airport express and 1 set of nice PC speakers located in the kitchen over a cabinet. (100$ total)

On Win8 you are greeted with the big tile interface. This is great on a big screen....so much easier to use then a text and tiny icon based UI. I have all my apps located on those tiles, and everything else is hidden.
Anytime i want to go back to any app, i just press the Windows key on the keyboard. It makes switching between apps so easy.

The Airfoil app allows me to select my audio source and play it directly to the kitchen speakers (as well as the local speakers). I can fire up media monkey and have it play throughout half the house in perfect sync. Same goes for pandora or anything else. If you want sync, you must use Airplay hardware! software solutions work fine, but are not in sync.
Also, this does not work awesome with video -- there is a 2sec buffer that airplay hardware uses, but it only applies to audio. The video is constantly 2 seconds ahead. Its fine for my wife who starts some singing movie like momma mia while she works in the kitchen, but you cant watch the video at the same time. It will drive you crazy. Much better for music.
I actually have airfoil installed on the 3 computers in my house -- any one can play straight to the kitchen! (airfoil is a per user license, not a per computer, it seems)

I have 4 gig of ram, 728 dedicated to the ION gpu. Not sure how much it needs, but it works fine so i left it. App switching is fine.
The box plays any video I throw at it with zero lag, including HD flash content such as hulu plus or amazon prime.
I had to disable all the options in audio outputs in XBMC -- things like DTS capable reciever and a couple others. Not sure where the option was, but some videos refused to play. Weird lag.

It is in a rather snug space in my cabinet, but it seems to stay quite cool all the time.

I don't do anything else with the box -- it has backups of all my documents as well as media files, so i avoid casual internet browsing. Also, i have kept the application installs to a minimum. Don't wanna bog things down.

Here is a pic of the setup:
Panasonic UT50, 60"
Visio soundbar
Ugly off-centered media cabinet i need to get rid of and fix. The PC is on the bottom shelf.

Anyways, just wanted to share!
Nice system ~ thanks for sharing! Have you made any changes/upgrades since you first posted this?
~~Watashi ga shinda to omotte iru shinseki mo imasu...~~
I'm doing something similar myself but I installed Flexraid after the poor performance of Storage Spaces. Storage Spaces is Free though while Flexraid will cost you $60.
I looked at several 3rd party s/w raid things. Linux may have been ideal, but i needed something more multipurpose. DRM flash + linux on an Atom cpu is finicky at best. Plus, had to have my media monkey and Airfoil.

@42yen, no changes yet.
Down the road, I would like to upgrade the mobo to one w/ more SATA and add a blu ray drive. But, that will have to wait.

I wish there was a way to passthrough audio/video and use the PC as a digital reciever, but the tech doesnt to seem to really be there yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My Build (Win 8, ION/ATOM, HTPC + NAS )0