[solved] XBMC does not play video over HDMI while omxplayer does
Hi all,

I haven't been tinkering around with XBMC on my Raspi until lately when my WD Live TV died and I was in need for a silent device which plays back my HD movies. I tried out Raspbmc and everything worked perfectly. I could play back streaming video in H264 and MPEG4 as well as local files stored on an USB stick. Unfortunately Raspbmc caused some strange behaviour with port-forwarding through my router but this is a different story.

So I switched back to Raspian and did a fresh install with the latest SD card image. After setting up my Raspi I decided to install the pre-compiled XBMC from here:
http://www.memetic.org/pre-compiled-xbmc-for-raspbian/

Everything worked phantastic so far. I added a XBMC demon script to /etc/init.d so that xbmc gets started on reboot. All this works nicely. I can install the video add-ons to watch stuff on youtube, etc. Controlling via IPhone xbmcmote works great....but what does not work great on Raspbian with the pre-compiled packages of xbmc is...playing video Sad

I have my raspi attached to my TV via HDMI cable. The XBMC GUI shows up upon boot. I can control the buttons but when I select playing a video the screen goes black and nothing happens...no sound...no video...

When I hit stop, the XBMC GUI comes back.

Starting a video via omxplayer (omxplayer -o hdmi myvideo.mp4) works like a charm though. I can hardly imagine that anything is wrong with my user account.

Has anyone experienced similar behaviour ?

TIA,
Holger
How much gpu_mem have you got? You want at least 128M.
Thanks for your reply.. the GPU has 128M.

I found a working solution just now by using the packages off the repo from this site:
http://michael.gorven.za.net/raspberrypi/xbmcgroup

It seems to me that the packages over at mementic have issues with newer versions of Raspian.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[solved] XBMC does not play video over HDMI while omxplayer does0