investigating interlacing issue
Running openelec XBMC frodo. Just converted some Dora DVD's using makemkv to get rid of the menu's. Even though deinterlace video and deinterlace method are set to auto I'm still getting interlacing (lines). If I manually enable interlacing picture is better so somehow these files don't seem to trigger deinterlacing and now I'm curious why as I don't want to manually switch it on and off all the time.

I'm a noob when it comes to deinterlacing so not sure if makemkv is doing something wrong causing xbmc to think deinterlacing is not needed or xbmc is somehow not triggering deinterlacing.

Not sure what to look for, are there certain file properties I can check to see if the file presents it needs deinterlacing?

full debug is here:
http://pastebin.com/iUGcpR2i
When you play the DVD does deinterlacing kick in when set to auto?
What setting did you have for the deint settings when you created the provided log? Can you provide a log with auto settings?
Good morning. Sorry for the late reply, my asrock wouldnt take the DVD so had to rip to ISO to play. I just played the ISO and it plays fine - when deint i set to auto it kicks in (at least Image looks fine). So the DVD deinterlaces fine but the same file converted to makemkv doesnt ( I think it doesnt trigger deinterlace). If I'm correct makemkv doesnt change the video itself, it just switches it to another container so maybe that mkv file somehow misleads xbmc into not triggering deinterlace when set to auto.

Just to confirm, with deinterlace set to to manual it looks far better.

The log above was made using deinterlace set to auto/auto. So Deinterlace on/off set to auto and method also to auto. Just to be 100% sure I'll make another later today and post here.
22:36:01 T:2576005952 ERROR: CMixer::InitCycle - interlace method not supported
22:36:02 T:2976721728 ERROR: Previous line repeats 11 times.

the log is full of this. What I don't see is, which method it tries to use.
Just ran a new log. Deinterlace video is set to auto, deinterlace method is set to auto as well (they already were).
I enabled debug logging, rebooted to start a clean log file, went to mkv, played it, saw interlace lines. paused (saw two half frames over each other in pause), went to menu, video options to confirm it was still on auto auto. note: I run openelec, after reboot got a popup that a new update is downloading - might pop up in log I assume

Indeed see this now again:
10:55:12 T:2581900096 ERROR: CMixer::InitCycle - interlace method not supported

It is still a dvd converted with makemkv.

full new log
http://pastebin.com/1JXfDCUW

Mediaplayer classic Homecinema gives me these file details:
Video: MPEG2 Video 720x576 (4:3) 25fps [English (Video 1)]

and in more detail (it says scan type interlaced below....if that helps):
General
Unique ID : 110454578436302498182219299763996545016 (0x5318C72BB273246445982A2CD6AF4FF8)
Complete name : J:\Kids\Dora\De stad van het verloren speelgoed\title01.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 1.42 GiB
Duration : 23mn 13s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 8 746 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2013-02-10 21:43:44
Writing application : MakeMKV v1.7.10 win(x64-release)
Writing library : libmakemkv v1.7.10 (1.2.0/1.1.0) win(x64-release)

Video
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@main
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Codec ID : V_MPEG2
Codec ID/Info : MPEG 1 or 2 Video
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 8 380 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 9 800 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : Component
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.808
Stream size : 1.36 GiB (96%)
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No
Color primaries : BT.470-2 System B, BT.470-2 System G
Transfer characteristics : BT.470-2 System B, BT.470-2 System G
Matrix coefficients : BT.470-2 System B, BT.470-2 System G

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 31.9 MiB (2%)
Title : 2/0
Language : Dutch
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Menu
00:00:00.000 : en:Chapter 01
Can I add anything else?
Anyone please?
Set the deinterlace method to the "best" one (usually it's "Temporal/Spatial", use the "half" version if you the image starts to lag), leave deinterlace to auto and choose Apply for all movies. It sounds like XBMC tries to use some default deinterlacer which for some reason isn't supported on your system. Sounds like a bug.
Thanks this does seem to work!

However I can't judge if this is a bug, if so I'd like to submit it. Iam not capable of understanding if the file (made by makemkc) is at fault and fooling xbmc or if xbmc is somehow trying to use the wrong deinterlacer here.
It's close to a bug. You had de-interlacing method for all videos set to something vdpau does not support. Currently it just ignores the wrong setting and does no de-interlacing. A better idea may be to choose something supported in this case.
Could be a bug, although it is usually safest to set the deinterlace manually anyway. That way you can set it to the best version your system can handle (I do not know how the auto-selection works).
I wish the On-Screen Video Diagnostics overlay would display current deinterlacing state (on/off) and type.
Weekend bump. My issue is solved but if there is a bug exposed (which I cant determine) please let me know so I can submit a bug report.
If you choose to submit a report (can't hurt can it?) you should at least include the exact driver version you're using, your exact hardware, XBMC version/revision as well as submit a sample of the video that makes the interlacer fail.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
investigating interlacing issue0