First Build - Input Encouraged :)
Nice build. I think you've got it nailed.
Thanks!

I was looking on the Asus website for that board, and nowhere does it say that the audio is processed through the on-board HDMI. Is this a given with all HDMI ports as like it is with a HDTV? Or does it need to be processed through a separate connection?

I assume it runs through HDMI but reading the specs on the motherboard gave me that hint of doubt. lol
Bump.

This is from the Asus website:

Audio
VIA 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking

Anyone have experience with this and know if the audio transmits through he HDMI? Its not specified.
HDMI audio is a function of the CPU, not the motherboard which is probably why it's not mentioned.
Its not part of the chipset within the motherboard? I don't know a whole lot about computer hardware (but learning!)

I found the manual online for the motherboard and there is a setting within the BIOS:

SPDIF Out Type [SPDIF]

[SPDIF] Sets for SPDIF audio output.
[HDMI] Sets for HDMI audio output.

So this would only be applicable if the CPU supported this?
The Sandy Bridge CPUs have on-chip GPUs, and these also handle the HDMI audio output. I've built two G630 builds and the HDMI audio in Linux and Windows has just worked. Haven't had to fiddle with anything in the BIOS.

You don't really want SPDIF output (SPDIF is the old fashioned PCM 2.0 / DD / DTS standard) - you want PCM multichannel and HD Audio. I think that BIOS option may be there for operating systems that didn't have driver support for the HDMI audio provided by the CPU, allowing you to insert the legacy SPDIF stream into the HDMI output instead? Not sure.

What I do know is that if you are using a standard Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge Celeron/Pentium/i3/i5/i7 chip with on-chip GPU (i.e. nearly all of them) and a motherboard that supports the on-chip GPU (not all do) then the HDMI audio just happens. It's built into the CPU - the motherboard doesn't have to do anything clever.

The same is also true with current nVidia and AMD video cards that support HDMI audio - they do it entirely independently of the motherboard. The motherboard drivers are purely there for the analogue and Toslink/Coax output - which are handled entirely separately to the HDMI audio.

This can get confusing in Windows - because you need to make sure two audio drivers are installed - one for the Realtek or VIA motherboard audio, and one for the HDMI audio.
Thank-you! Well explained Smile
Got the pieces all put together today and up and running, went pretty easily I must say!

(2013-02-18, 18:15)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I would try it w/o the video card first. It's not necessary for OpenELEC. OpenELEC has good Intel GPU support.

Noticing one problem... with HD video xbmc plays only a green screen and freezes. Sometimes I'm able to back out to the main menu, others the whole unit is frozen and I have to restart the PC....this does not seem to be an issue with SD video.

Could this caused be by the fact that I'm not using a dedicated video card?
Realized that Hardware Acceleration was turned on by default... turned it off and the HD video now plays without freezing.

However, HD video does not have any audio. SD movies and menu sounds work, but no HD movie audio...

Thoughts?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First Build - Input Encouraged :)0