How to block specific IPs / IP ranges
Hey guys,

I'd love to know if there's a way to block certain IPs or IP ranges in XBMC or if there's a plugin to accomplish that. The reason behind this is, that I have sometimes problems watching LiveStreams vom Twitch.TV or videos on YouTube. The solution I've found is blocking the IP ranges 173.194.55.0/24 and 206.111.0.0/16. I've tried that on my computer (blocked the IP ranges with the windows firewall) and before that I was only able to watch 720p+ streams and after blocking these ranges I'm able to watch 1080p+ WHILE downloading something. The explanation I've found is the following
Quote:It appears that the 173.194.55.0/24 and the 206.111.0.0/16 range belongs to Google. Someone revealed that YouTube video requests were utilizing intentional bandwidth throttling that is actually built into their (YouTube) system. Once these ranges are blocked, YouTube's player logic will fall back to Google's datacenters and stream at beautiful speeds.
So yea, now I'd love to do the same on my XBMC system so that I get the same benefit there Smile
Using OpenELEC btw
Use iptables to create firewall rules to block the ranges. On OpenELEC you would add the following to your autostart.sh

iptables -I OUTPUT -p tcp --dest 173.194.55.0/24 -j DROP
iptables -I OUTPUT -p tcp --dest 206.111.0.0/16 -j DROP

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to block specific IPs / IP ranges0