• 82(current)
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
Hmmm thanks for the info - I was only able to test 3.5.0 on a windows machine... A SSD died in my machine so I dont have an Ubuntu system to test with right now but its something I'll get around to before Kodi 19 is released.
Even though my path seems to be right "/usr/games/steam" it keeps saying my path is incorrect. I'm using Linux Mint 20 with KDE de and 3.4.1 version of the plugin.  I tried uploading the log to Ubuntu paste but it kept giving me "bad gateway error" so I zipped it instead I hope that's ok? debug log
Asrock Rog Z390-H | Intel i9 9900K | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Pop!_OS 20.10 |Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019)
EVGA Hybrid FTW GTX 1070 | Corsair 16GB DDR4
Samsung 500GB SSD | 500GB Nvme SSD |500GB WD Black Nvme SSD |6TB HDD
(2020-08-11, 02:14)LupinSansei Wrote: Even though my path seems to be right "/usr/games/steam" it keeps saying my path is incorrect. I'm using Linux Mint 20 with KDE de and 3.4.1 version of the plugin.  I tried uploading the log to Ubuntu paste but it kept giving me "bad gateway error" so I zipped it instead I hope that's ok? debug log

Last time you ran the addon it couldnt find xdotool

"2020-08-10 20:11:29.917 T:140319721490176   DEBUG: script.steam.launcher: ERROR: Minimised Kodi enabled and system program "xdotool" not present, install it via you system package manager. Xdotool is required to minimise Kodi."

Are you sure thats installed?
(2020-08-11, 08:45)teeedubb Wrote:
(2020-08-11, 02:14)LupinSansei Wrote: Even though my path seems to be right "/usr/games/steam" it keeps saying my path is incorrect. I'm using Linux Mint 20 with KDE de and 3.4.1 version of the plugin.  I tried uploading the log to Ubuntu paste but it kept giving me "bad gateway error" so I zipped it instead I hope that's ok? debug log

Last time you ran the addon it couldnt find xdotool

"2020-08-10 20:11:29.917 T:140319721490176   DEBUG: script.steam.launcher: ERROR: Minimised Kodi enabled and system program "xdotool" not present, install it via you system package manager. Xdotool is required to minimise Kodi."

Are you sure thats installed?
That was it! Thanks! For some reason it wasn't installed. Though Steam's desktop gui pops up over Kodi after exiting BPM.
Asrock Rog Z390-H | Intel i9 9900K | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Pop!_OS 20.10 |Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019)
Probably because steam starts after Kodi has been maximised? You could create a post-steam script to force focus on Kodi for X seconds.
(2020-08-12, 10:32)teeedubb Wrote: Probably because steam starts after Kodi has been maximised? You could create a post-steam script to force focus on Kodi for X seconds.

Yeah, I might look into that. I'm on Cinnamon atm now and it's working fine here. Weird. Thanks again though!
I have a light ubuntu install that boots right into Kodi without loading the windows manager (xfce).

I'd like to avoid having to log into the desktop (or have the desktop be visible) when I use steam launcher. Has anyone found a seamless way to do this? A couple pages back @teeedubb mentioned using steam compositor instead of a windows manager, is it possible to incorporate that into my build, or is it SteamOS only?
I have a setup where Kodi boots without a desktop environment and I launch xfce when I need to launch steam, attract mode, web browser, basically any thing that requires a desktop environment. All this is done through scripting and doesn't require anything from the user except for launching the addon. When the application is exited, xfce closes and kodi re-launches. I use the pre-launch script in the steam launcher addon to place a temp file on my hdd and close kodi. The script that launches everything runs in a loop and at the start it checks for temp files, if it finds one for steam it launches xfce. I have a script that autostarts with xfce and also checks for temp files. If it finds the one for steam, it launches steam, waits for it to close, then deletes the temp file and exits xfce. I use different temp files for different applications that I want launched. The script that launches everything then runs again and because there are no temp files it boots back into kodi. Works well for me and gives me the best of both worlds.

As for the steam compositor, I have not used it for many years so I cant really give you any info on it. Last time I used it, it was available for Ubuntu via a third party PPA.
I know this is probably a silly question as I'm sure you'll do it once the stable version hits. But are you planning on moving Steam Launcher to Matrix?
(2020-10-20, 22:22)LupinSansei Wrote: I know this is probably a silly question as I'm sure you'll do it once the stable version hits. But are you planning on moving Steam Launcher to Matrix?

Yes, definitely. I have a beta in this post. I should probably put it in the first post.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2956167

I haven't tested it thoroughly so any feedback would be good.
(2020-10-21, 00:45)teeedubb Wrote:
(2020-10-20, 22:22)LupinSansei Wrote: I know this is probably a silly question as I'm sure you'll do it once the stable version hits. But are you planning on moving Steam Launcher to Matrix?

Yes, definitely. I have a beta in this post. I should probably put it in the first post.

Awesome! Guess I should've searched but figured you were waiting ha ha. Wish more devs would move their add-ons to py3. Thanks! Will give it a test Smile
So I'm interested in this add-on, but I'm new to Kodi.  I have two use cases for the machine I have Kodi+Steam installed on:  1.  Watch DVDs - this needs to be as simple as possible for my wife to do. 2.  Play games in my Steam library.

I'm running Linux Mint 20.  I just installed Kodi, and the second thing I did (after popping a DVD in to test playback) was install your Steam Launcher.  I got an error - "see kodi.log" for details.  I don't even know where that is, and the in-Kodi event browser turned up nothing in the error category.  I'm not a complete noob to Linux but I also don't have much spare time to troubleshoot and get stuff working.  Just doing a quick browse through recent posts indicated much potential futzing with window managers/controls, etc.  Is there a simple series of steps for me to take to make this a very simple configuration, basically have my HTPC switchable between Kodi and Steam (and only occasional drop out for system administration)?  Or should I give up now and go back to using my wife's decade-old clunky DVD player.  I didn't see a straightforward guide on the github.

p.s. I did find the log file, but I'm on the wrong computer to post it.  I'll try to edit this post from the right machine.
(2020-12-24, 22:02)strangeintp Wrote: So I'm interested in this add-on, but I'm new to Kodi.  I have two use cases for the machine I have Kodi+Steam installed on:  1.  Watch DVDs - this needs to be as simple as possible for my wife to do. 2.  Play games in my Steam library.

I'm running Linux Mint 20.  I just installed Kodi, and the second thing I did (after popping a DVD in to test playback) was install your Steam Launcher.  I got an error - "see kodi.log" for details.  I don't even know where that is, and the in-Kodi event browser turned up nothing in the error category.  I'm not a complete noob to Linux but I also don't have much spare time to troubleshoot and get stuff working.  Just doing a quick browse through recent posts indicated much potential futzing with window managers/controls, etc.  Is there a simple series of steps for me to take to make this a very simple configuration, basically have my HTPC switchable between Kodi and Steam (and only occasional drop out for system administration)?  Or should I give up now and go back to using my wife's decade-old clunky DVD player.  I didn't see a straightforward guide on the github.

p.s. I did find the log file, but I'm on the wrong computer to post it.  I'll try to edit this post from the right machine.
well I couldn't edit that post but here is the log file:  https://paste.kodi.tv/isaxojoqah.kodi
... I can't even see where it tried to start the Steam Launcher but failed.
That log file isn't a debug log (wiki). You probably need to install the programs in the first post
(2020-10-21, 00:45)teeedubb Wrote:

Hi! Not sure where's the best place to place a report or contact you @teeedubb.

In any case, I am trying the steam launcher addon for Matrix, but doesn't work.

You can find all logs and my system details here: https://github.com/teeedubb/teeedubb-xbm.../issues/23
  • 82(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi7