• 28(current)
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
Ive updated the first post so the repo link is now a direct download, try that. If the actual addon has the problem try downloading again, it could be a corrupt download.
Hi Guys,

I have just finished installing XBMC, Steam and the steam launcher addon. Everything is installed on Server 2012r2 all are working fine and steam does launch from xbmc but as Steam begins to launch the metro UI appears and i have to press the windows key to return to Steam.

Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Cheers
foxie2
You could use this as a pre steam script to run in the background and force focus on team bpm for X seconds. Be careful it doesn't run for too long because it will steal focus from games

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1750759
(2014-08-10, 22:35)teeedubb Wrote: You could use this as a pre steam script to run in the background and force focus on team bpm for X seconds. Be careful it doesn't run for too long because it will steal focus from games

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1750759

Worked perfectly, you sir are a legend thank you!
So far I'm loving the Steam launcher, thanks for the excellent tutorial. Only thing I needed to change was the post-steam script. The if ... fi statement didn't lead to the stopping of pulse audio, so it just says pulseaudio -k now.

Small question: I'm coming from OpenElec, which was an absolute dream in comparison to xmbcbuntu. Setting a static IP address (done from the gui is too slow, causing a failing MySQL connection, dns isn't described in the wiki), mounting a drive via login script (couldn't get it working via fstab/live.d/rc.local/init.d, so I've done it the script that launches xbmc).

I've got mostly everything working thanks to Google and people on the internet a lot better in Linux than me, but there are some thing I can't get working. For instance, there's a mouse pointer dead center in the screen when launching xbmcbuntu. I've got unclutter installed, but I cannot get rid of the pointer. It goes away when you do something in xbmc, so it's no big issue, it just annoys me (it's like a fly on my screen).

The one thing that really doesn't work is resuming from standby (but I don't expect an answer, I'm just ranting), I've tried every guide Google offered me, but to no avail. OpenElec resumed from standby perfectly. Xbmcbuntu resumes when I press the spacebar on a keyboard, but not via MCE remote. I'm gonna Google some more.

Again: awesome plugin. I hope it will someday work with OpenElec Wink
CoreElec on a tn95 (s905x). Onkyo NR-656. Canton Movie CD-1000. LG 55B6V.

If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat
With the post-steam.sh script it looks like it needs to sleep for a bit before checking is steam is still running, when exiting steam bpm steam must run for a bit longer after the bpm window is closed. 2 seconds is enough for my system on a hdd, but I guess it will vary system to system. I've updated the how-to. Does killing PA when 'exiting to desktop' cause any problems with audio when relaunching steam bpm? It did last time I tried.

I never set static ip's on the machine itself, instead i reserve ip addresses via the router so the machine will be assigned the reserved ip address as soon as it connects (note, I dont use mysql). Also mounting disks via /etc/fstab will have the disks mounted before the gui/xbmc is loaded and is the preferred way of mounting fixed disks.

Ive noticed the mouse pointer on my htpc (not running xbmcbuntu), but I cant make it appear on my xbmcbuntu test machine Confused The following command will send 'back' to xbmc once its up, put it in the openbox autostart file and post-steam.sh script. You need to enable the xbmc webserver and edit the port number in the following command if you change it from the default, also delete the username required (otherwise you'll need to edit the following command) and enable 'allow programs on other systems to control xbmc' under remote control, otherwise you'll get an error when restarting xbmc via the addon.

Code:
(until [[ $(curl -v -H "Content-type: application/json" -X POST -d '{ "jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "JSONRPC.Ping", "id": 1 }' http://localhost:8080/jsonrpc | grep "pong") ]] ; do  sleep 1 ; echo sleeping 1s, waiting for xbmc json-rpc ; done ; curl -v -H "Content-type: application/json" -X POST -d '{ "jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "Input.Back", "id": 1 }' http://localhost:8080/jsonrpc)&

To wake from usb devices you need to enable it on the usb bus, for me its the EHC* entries in /proc/acpi/wakeup (the command to do so is: sudo sh -c "echo EHC2 > /proc/acpi/wakeup" , place it in /etc/rc.local (dont forget to make it executable)) and on the actual devices which I do via this udev rule: /etc/udev/rules.d/99-wakeup.rules , get the vendor and device id's from the command lsusb.

If you have anymore issues start a new thread and I'll try and help you out.

EDIT: looks like steam doesnt have a problem when pulseaudio is stopped while it is still running (via 'exit to desktop'). I've updated the pre/post steam scripts in the how-to with a few options - kill xbmc before starting pulseaudio, always kill pulseaudio before starting xbmc and only kill pulseaudio when exiting steam completely. Instructions are in the scripts.
Thanks for your reply. I tried adding the echo of the USB ports to rc.local, but they always still said "disabled" after rebooting. Don't now if that was the issue, never thought of looking at the EHC device (which is the IR receiver, right?). I got it working just now, by the way using this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t...st11902254

It also mentions creating the rule, but also updating GRUB. I'm pretty new to Linux, so the number of ways to get things done is mindblowing for me. Tons of scripts in tons of different locations which (to me) seem to try to achieve the same thing. I already tried a combo of thing of your help and this page (and lots of other pages), it never worked though. Just glad it's working now (even though just the wake up cost me at least 24 hours of scripting and googling Big Grin)

EHC is enabled in /proc/acpi/wakeup, USB still isn't. I still don't really understand HOW it works. Prior to fixing my problem, the only thing on "Enabled" was the power button, but still my HTPC woke when pressing space on a wireless USB keyboard.

I'll look into the fstab part, after trying for hours to mount a drive I got fed up so I just added it to the Openbox autostart file (after eliminating the need to enter a sudo password when using mount).

One small question still, even though it's not steam related, is it easy to restart xbmc after resuming from sleep?

Thanks for all your help.

Yeah it is possible, you would need to create a resume hook in /etc/pm/sleep.d/
(2014-08-16, 14:22)teeedubb Wrote: Yeah it is possible, you would need to create a resume hook in /etc/pm/sleep.d/

Something like this?

Wink

Works like a charm. I went for, service lightdm restart. Only downside is that this gives an RPC error (and sometimes kills the webserver). Your suggestion works, but I want it to begin at movies (and home sends you back to home, relative to where you were to begin with. It's my guess that the "id":1 should take care of that, but it doesn't for me. If I'm in somewhere in system settings, the command sends me home to system.

Try

{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "GUI.ActivateWindow", "params": { "window": "video", "parameters": [ "MovieTitles" ] }, "id": 1}
Almost ... My description was unclear. I want it to start on the Home screen, Movies section. The default screen after rebooting, without having to reboot (otherwise reboot -f would suffice). I tried putting them together, first going to movietitles, then home, but then it still goes to the home screen, relative to the position prior to going to movietitles (I hope I'm clear). But I'm filling your thread with junk, so keep it a bit on topic:

when leaving steam, I also get the remote communications server error. Do you restart xbmc with "service lightdm restart" too? I've got the record button of my remote mapped to <record>RestartApp</record>, this restarts xbmc without any errors.

Have you enabled 'allow programs on other systems to control xbmc' under remote control in xbmc settings?
(2014-08-16, 16:49)teeedubb Wrote: Have you enabled 'allow programs on other systems to control xbmc' under remote control in xbmc settings?

Yes, that's enabled. So is "Allow programs on this system to control xbmc" UPnP, Zeroconf and Airplay are all turned off (should that have anything to do with it).

The script that the addon uses holds onto the port thats used by the webserver after quitting xbmc and I presume thats why the error occurs. Quitting xbmc via a inbuilt function doesn't stop the error, but on my installs enabling 'allow programs on other systems to control xbmc' stops the error from happening. Is the webserver usable after you get the error?
Partially ... I can connect to my library with xbmc remote (Android) and browse through my media, but when I start something I get a "Connection Refused" error on my tablet. Strange thing is, that when I play something from my music library, it will work, but something from my videos library will hang xbmc. The screen goes black, as if it is going to play, but nothing happens.

The log (non debug) says the webserver isn't running properly.

ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open image://smb:{path_to_episode.jpg}

Edit: The above only seems to be true for killing xbmc with "service lightdm restart". Starting Steam and either returning to desktop or exiting Steam gives the remote communications server error, but has no effect on my ability to connect and play media via the webserver.

Killing xbmc with "service lightdm restart" definitely screws up my webserver. Guess it's back to the drawing board for my sleep hook solution Wink

Edit2: I'm also still fiddling with the cursor. Your json query did send the back command, but left the cursor. I'm using xdotool. A utility to move the mouse from the commandline. So, in my autostart.sh, I have xdotool mousemove 1920 1080 (the bottom right corner) with a 2 second timeout before it, otherwise xbmc would still centralize it. Maybe it will help someone.

Code:
export DISPLAY=:0
xsetroot -solid black &
unclutter -root &
/usr/bin/xbmc &
compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --glx-no-stencil --vsync opengl-swc & $
sleep 2
xdotool mousemove 1920 1080

• 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi7