• 87(current)
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
(2023-02-22, 06:09)teeedubb Wrote: @-Glass- has posted some code which will help getting the add-on working with new BPM, but I need to think about if I want to add support for both versions of the BPM ui. I know the steam documentation says old BPM will be removed in the future, but we're talking about valve-time here. Also, after a quick play around with the new interface, I think I prefer the old one.

So, the new BPM is pretty great and it is the standard on the Steam Deck.  It's later release on the other desktop builds unifies that interface across all platforms and it is the 'default' on all platforms now.  So I would hope you would at least support the new one, despite your preference for the old one.  I'm a big fan of this addon, a post by me is the second post in this thread way back in 2013.  Including support for both is great, users always appreciate options, but I just hope that none of this means this addon only supporting the old BMP.

That said, I'm just a user, this is a free addon you put your own time into, so all I can do is ask nicely and hope.
(2023-02-23, 01:04)DJ_Izumi Wrote: a post by me is the second post in this thread way back in 2013

Damn that made me realise the addon is 10 years old tomorrow 🥳🥳🥳
Its certainly come along way from the initial version where you had to manually edit text files

So to celebrate, here is v3.7.1 - 10th anniversary edition 😁
Quote:Added support for the new BPM UI in windows + linux. Removed support for the old UI due to steam having no way to launch the old UI via the steam browser protocol plus the fact that its going to be removed at a later date.
Fixed launching the steam app on android
Added option to select launching either the Steam or Steam Link app in android
Fixed some text strings
Formatting of script files to make comments easier to read
Use window groups in ahk script - Thanks the0neWhoKnocks!
Update text strings
Added info into readme.txt for debugging and compiling the ahk file on windows - Thanks the0neWhoKnocks!
Added icon path to ahk script to ensure its always used when compiling the script

I see some comments about kodi not closing when the addon is run. Not sure what happening here because quitting Kodi works as intended in Windows 10 and Ubuntu 22.04 with Kodi 20 for me (forced killing of Kodi disabled). To fix it someone with the issue is going to have to submit a fix. FYI the code to close Kodi is located in the steam-launcher scripts.

On a side note, holy shit the new Big Picture UI runs like ass on Ubuntu 22.04 with a Nvidia GPU.
(2023-02-24, 06:22)teeedubb Wrote: So to celebrate, here is v3.7.1 - 10th anniversary edition 😁
So I'm having some trouble here and I'd appreciate some help.

This works in that I can get it to launch Steam, in the new BPM, and it kills Kodi in the process.  But when I shut down Steam... Nothing but desktop.  This is on Windows 10 to be clear.

I'm trying the read me but I'm a but confused because it always 'just worked' before.  Is editing my own AHK script and compiling it required now?  That's not something I can't do, though I want to make sure if I understand if it is now required or not.  I'm thinking it is since your examples are in /resources/ and not the location where the readme says they should be.

If editing my own AHK script is required to get back into Kodi, then please help me out here on understanding editing it.  I see the list of commented out variables and above that a list of what they should be, but I don't quite understand what I should be writing here.

Should I be taking this:

Code:
 ;1% Full path to Steam

and changing it to this?

Code:
1% D:\Program Files(x86)\steam\steam.exe

Do I want quotations or anything else for the executable location?

Same thing for the other variables, would I just write 'true' or ' "true" ' and so on?  Or am I more than off by a little here?
No editing or compilation of scripts is required for the addon to work - compiling the AHK script is only required when making changes to the scripts. I was running out of time when I added the info to the readme and was rushing, ill take another look at the readme when I get time and add some clarification around that.

Normally the addon passes all those arguments to the script, you only need to add the arguments yourself if you are running the bundled scripts outside of the addon, via the command line. Check the debug log for an example after running the addon, its printed in there.

As for your issue, are you exiting steam quickly when the issue happens? I've been able to replicate your issue when doing that. The Kodi process lingers for a bit after closing it, and only one instance of kodi can be run on windows at any time, so the addon is running kodi when its already running and kodi doesnt run at all because it was already running, albeit in the process of shutting itself down. I think thats whats causing the issue. To see, open task manager, set it to be always ontop, scroll down to where K would be in the 'background processes' list and then run the addon and see if the kodi process is still in the list when you exit steam. I dont think this is a deal breaker under normal circumstances, but if so, can you enable force killing of Kodi in the addon settings and see if that helps. Alternatively you could add a post steam script to kill the Kodi process.
(2023-02-26, 08:02)teeedubb Wrote: No editing or compilation of scripts is required for the addon to work - compiling the AHK script is only required when making changes to the scripts. I was running out of time when I added the info to the readme and was rushing, ill take another look at the readme when I get time and add some clarification around that.

Normally the addon passes all those arguments to the script, you only need to add the arguments yourself if you are running the bundled scripts outside of the addon, via the command line. Check the debug log for an example after running the addon, its printed in there.

As for your issue, are you exiting steam quickly when the issue happens? I've been able to replicate your issue when doing that. The Kodi process lingers for a bit after closing it, and only one instance of kodi can be run on windows at any time, so the addon is running kodi when its already running and kodi doesnt run at all because it was already running, albeit in the process of shutting itself down. I think thats whats causing the issue. To see, open task manager, set it to be always ontop, scroll down to where K would be in the 'background processes' list and then run the addon and see if the kodi process is still in the list when you exit steam. I dont think this is a deal breaker under normal circumstances, but if so, can you enable force killing of Kodi in the addon settings and see if that helps. Alternatively you could add a post steam script to kill the Kodi process.

In that case I have no idea what's wrong.  This always worked before the BPM updates.  It launches Steam fine, kills Kodi when it does, I open Task Manager and there is no Kodi running anywhere, I exit Steam via BMP and... Desktop.  It doesn't restart Kodi.
Okay for I found an issue when running the AHK script (and not the exe) manually that was probably causing your issue. Dont know why it was working when run through the exe/addon...must have been a mix up on my pc.

script.steam.launcher-3.7.4:
Quote:Fix window groups in ahk script
Fix text string in script update notification dialog
(2023-02-27, 05:21)teeedubb Wrote: Okay for I found an issue when running the AHK script (and not the exe) manually that was probably causing your issue. Dont know why it was working when run through the exe/addon...must have been a mix up on my pc.

script.steam.launcher-3.7.4:
Quote:Fix window groups in ahk script
Fix text string in script update notification dialog

Hi, I found the problem, I went to verify the steam-launcher.exe and .ahk files and I noticed that the .ahk file while dated from just a few minutes prior, when I had just updated the addon, but the exe file was dated feb 24th.  Suspecting that somehow the exe was not updating I deleted it and on next run it updated the file and it was fine.

I think previous attempts launched the exe wrong, so it sat there, running, and since it was running on my multiple attempts but never triggering Kodi to start again, the addon updates lacked permissions to replace a file that was currently still running but not doing anything, so it simply never got updated.  So now it works.  It's possible your previous version worked too, this might be all on me, I'm sorry for being an annoyance and thank you very much for your efforts.
Some small code fixes.

main.py 320: elif preScriptEnabled == 'true':
That should be postScriptEnabled.

You use the error message 50215 a lot, I'm guessing you meant 50125 instead.  As it is now most errors say "Post Steam script does not exist, disabling!".  I spent hours trying to figure out why not having a post steam script enabled was causing such an issue, turns out I didn't have xdotool but was still getting that error message.
@DJ_Izumi glad its sorted. I think something similar must have happened on my system.

@factorion thanks for pointing that out

script.steam.launcher-3.7.5:
Quote:Fix incorrect if statement and wrong text strings used in addon - thanks factorion
Updated readme.md - thanks the0neWhoKnocks
@teeedubb I updated to kodi 20.1 from 19.5 and brought in your changes, but Kodi no longer shut down after starting Steam. I ended up having to ditch the `%comspec% /c` statements since they weren't resolving. Not sure if they're required for some other edgecase, but perhaps they can be removed.

https://github.com/teeedubb/teeedubb-xbm...ot-quiting
It's been a while since I wrote that code but I believe that it's there to prevent a CMD window from popping up. Can you confirm if a CMD window pops up if the comspec prefix is removed?

Edit is this when quitting or force quitting? Im thinking it's system dependant because quitting works on win 10 and 11 machines for me. But if the window is hidden removing the prefix doesn't matter
Hi. I have been using this addon for years and have been very happy with it. As time has passed Steam has evolved and I think there is a need for more options in the settings. Steam can now have several accounts "logged in" on the same computer/windows account. When switching between steam-accounts Steam closes and starts again with the other steam-account. During this time the script that Steam Launcher is running thinks I'm done playing and goes back in to Kodi. Maybe there should be a time delay setting in Steam Launcher to see if Steam/Big Picture starts again before going back to Kodi. Thanks! :-)
Windows 11, Intel i9 9900K, 16GB RAM, Asus Geforce RTX 3060 Phoenix
(2023-05-07, 09:34)Roger79 Wrote: Hi. I have been using this addon for years and have been very happy with it. As time has passed Steam has evolved and I think there is a need for more options in the settings. Steam can now have several accounts "logged in" on the same computer/windows account. When switching between steam-accounts Steam closes and starts again with the other steam-account. During this time the script that Steam Launcher is running thinks I'm done playing and goes back in to Kodi. Maybe there should be a time delay setting in Steam Launcher to see if Steam/Big Picture starts again before going back to Kodi. Thanks! :-)

What OS are you using? In windows the addon waits upto 5 seconds for a steam window to re-open, but it does not in linux.
Hi! when a try install the add on, Kodi crash

https://paste.kodi.tv/idovorewaw.kodi
Looks like the zip file is corrupted. Can you open it in windows? Tried redownloading it?
  • 87(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi7