• 8(current)
HOW-TO:Share libraries using MySQL: Wiki Edition
Ned,

Can i use the shared mysql db like this:

- one htpc running xbmc 12.2 openelec
- one htpc running windows latest gotham...

Or will this turn into problems?
(2013-08-29, 12:30)Ned Scott Wrote: You have to use two different MySQL DBs by using the <name> tag to create a different DB for the kids profile's advancedsettings.xml file.

Can you give me an example how my advancedsettings.xml must look like? IP where myqsl is running: 192.168.178.19

This is how my advancedsettings.xml looks like in my UserData folder

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>1982.168.178.19</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</videodatabase>
<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

If I go to Profile/Kids/Userdata/ then I do not have a second advancedsettings.xml
(2013-08-29, 13:08)Skank Wrote: Ned,

The latest gotham builds have bumped the video DB version, so it won't work. It will only work between 12.x through 13Alpha6. 13Alpha7 is no longer compatible, which should be expected of a development build.

If you use MySQL on the music DB, then 12.x through 13Alpha2 are compatible, and 13Alpha3 and later are not.

I try to keep this updated so people can keep track of the DB version changes: XBMC databases/Versions (wiki)
(2013-08-29, 16:18)seninha Wrote:
(2013-08-29, 12:30)Ned Scott Wrote: You have to use two different MySQL DBs by using the <name> tag to create a different DB for the kids profile's advancedsettings.xml file.

Can you give me an example how my advancedsettings.xml must look like? IP where myqsl is running: 192.168.178.19

This is how my advancedsettings.xml looks like in my UserData folder

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>1982.168.178.19</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</videodatabase>
<videolibrary>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

If I go to Profile/Kids/Userdata/ then I do not have a second advancedsettings.xml

Ah, so the kids profile isn't supposed to be using MySQL at all? That's odd. I'm guessing the master profile's advancedsettings.xml file is being inherited by the additional profiles. That, or XBMC made a copy of the master profile's DB (which is from the MySQL DB) when it created the kids profile. (when creating a profile, it should ask if you want to copy various data from the master profile).

First thing I would try is to nuke the video DB on the kids profile by deleting userdata (wiki)/Profiles/Kids/Userdata/Database/MyVideos75.db

Then restart XBMC if it is still open.

If the kids profile still has the MySQL movies then it must be inheriting the master profile's advancedsettings.xml file. The solution then would be to make your MySQL profile into a secondary profile, like the kids profile. The master profile would then just be a blank dummy profile.

I'm not entirely sure if about this, though, since I haven't tested it myself, but it should be safe to test. As always, back up your entire userdata (wiki) folder on one of your computers first, just to be extra safe.
(2013-08-30, 01:54)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-08-29, 13:08)Skank Wrote: Ned,

The latest gotham builds have bumped the video DB version, so it won't work. It will only work between 12.x through 13Alpha6. 13Alpha7 is no longer compatible, which should be expected of a development build.

If you use MySQL on the music DB, then 12.x through 13Alpha2 are compatible, and 13Alpha3 and later are not.

I try to keep this updated so people can keep track of the DB version changes: XBMC databases/Versions (wiki)

thx for the info
Hi I need some help getting xbmc to synchronize between builds. My setup: -

mysql is installed on a server running whs 2012 this is also the location of all media files (there is no copy of xbmc on this machine) I also have a userdata folder that been shared with read/write settings for all users.

Ouya with the latest firmware and the latest ouya version of xbmc (12.3 OUYA)

Odroid U2 with cm 10.1.2 and xbmc version 12.3 OUYA

I managed to get the movie and tv databases to sync using the advancedsetting.xml and encvouraged by this success i thought i would try to sync addons and favourites but no matter what i try i can not get it to work. I presume the problem is with the way i have listed my network path in the advancedsetting.xml.

advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.0.20</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</musicdatabase>

<videolibrary>
</videolibrary>

<substitute>
<from>special://profile/addon_data/</from>
<to>smb://192.168.0.20/xbmc/addon_data/</to>
</substitute>

<substitute>
<from>special://profile/favourites.xml</from>
<to>smb://192.168.0.20/xbmc/favourites.xml</to>
</substitute>
</advancedsettings>

I have also tried the network location as
smb://null:@192.168.0.20/xbmc/favourites.xml
smb://[email protected]/xbmc/xbmc/favourites.xml
smb://FIMOCA/xbmc/favourites.xml

Any help would be appreciated
thanks
Liam
Can you get us a debug log (wiki) of when XBMC starts up?

Also, remember that those settings will only attempt to sync settings for some add-ons, but not the add-ons themselves. Also, some add-ons don't work with path subs at all.
Hi Ned sorry about the slow response. Here is the log for the ouya http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=54051

Thanks for helping

Liam
(2013-09-02, 22:16)grimfandango Wrote: Hi Ned sorry about the slow response. Here is the log for the ouya http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=54051

Thanks for helping

Liam

Ah, I don't know why I didn't see this before, but it just looks like a missing tag, <pathsubstitution>, </pathsubstitution>

So your advancedsettings.xml file should look like this:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <videodatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>USER</user>
    <pass>PASSWORD</pass>
  </videodatabase>
  <musicdatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>USER</user>
    <pass>PASSWORD</pass>
  </musicdatabase>
  <videolibrary>
  </videolibrary>
  <pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
      <from>special://profile/addon_data/</from>
      <to>smb://192.168.0.20/xbmc/addon_data/</to>
    </substitute>
    <substitute>
      <from>special://profile/favourites.xml</from>
      <to>smb://192.168.0.20/xbmc/favourites.xml</to>
    </substitute>
  </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>
Thanks for the help I will get the XML edited as soon as possible.
For what it's worth I installed MySQL 5.6.13 on OS X.

In the wiki for the MySQL setup instructions, it talks about opening up the bind-address so more than the local host can connect to the database.

I didn't need to create/edit the my.cnf at all. Maybe it was related to the changes since 5.6.6 as shown here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/s...nd-address

I can confirm that editing the my.cfg isn't necessary for OS X, it works by default. In fact, the entirety of Step 4 in that section is no longer necessary, making things a lot simpler.

I don't have access to edit the wiki, but if someone wanted to update this it might help others.
Not until XBMC fixes the issues it has with MySQL 5.6 and above. Until then, the wiki will continue to recommend MySQL 5.5 for usage with XBMC.
(2013-09-17, 01:44)Ned Scott Wrote: Not until XBMC fixes the issues it has with MySQL 5.6 and above. Until then, the wiki will continue to recommend MySQL 5.5 for usage with XBMC.

Thanks for the reply, is there another ticket on this in trac that I should be looking at?

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14117

I like to monitor these things.

I saw that one, it seemed uncertain as to if it was a 5.6 problem and I was using 5.6 anyhow for another application and didn't want to downgrade (yet).

Things seem to work for me and I have a huge TV Show and Movie library with 4 clients. I admittedly am not using the Music database and a quick scan seems like there are more issues specific to that.

At any rate, these are my experiences only. If I run into trouble with 5.6.x I'll definitely get some logging posted into that trac ticket to help out.
Question 
Sorry about that thanks for the heads up I seem to be getting close get the plugins going will post log files later if I can't resolve some new issues. it seems to be connecting but I'm getting
05:00:14 T:1126366064 WARNING: Process directory 'smb://UNRAID/Media/Movies/Standarddef Movies/the cottage/' does not exist - skipping scan.
louy
Well, first, please don't paste logs directly in forum posts. Instead please use a paste site like pastebin.com or xbmclogs.com

For some reason the log you posted doesn't show any tags in your advancedsettings.xml file, but it does load MySQL and your two path subs, so something went weird when the log file was copied.

The user that was created for XBMC in MySQL is getting rejected. Either a bad password, incorrect rights, an account that hasn't been created in MySQL yet, etc. XBMC is never able to log into the MySQL server. Eventually the server starts to ignore XBMC and blocks the connection temporarily because of too many failed login attempts.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO:Share libraries using MySQL: Wiki Edition2