Frodo Video stutter Issues using Windows 8
Hi,

I started using XBMC about a year ago. Got more serious about it toward the last part of last year and have been using it exclusively to watch movies.

Eden was not working for me 100% but I probably needed to do some additional configuration, etc. However, it works fine for all my Blu-Ray movies, etc so I was content (enough) to continue using it.

Once Frodo went into release, I gave it a week or so and then did an upgrade over the top of my Eden. The install all seemed to go well but the video stutter problem began. I fooled around with it for a bit and then decided to remove all versions of XBMC from my system, reboot and did a clean install of Frodo. However the video stutter problem still existed even after the fresh install. I spent probably 2-3 hrs trying everything I could think of which of course included searching this forum. I was able to determine that others were having similar problems but certainly not everyone but for the ones having issues, no immediate cure seems to exist. Or maybe it does and I didn't find it.

I then removed Frodo completely and went back to Eden. All is working now as it did before the Frodo migration so I have to think there is something about the Frodo configuration that I haven't figured out yet.

A couple of misc notes. Frodo would not play ANY of the 8-10 Blu-rays that I tried but Frodo DOES play normal DVDs just fine. As a test, I tried Total Media Theatre 5 and it plays everything I tried including both Blu-ray as well as DVDs.

I would like to subscribe to a/the best thread that might lead to a working Frodo solution. If someone would be good enough to point that out to me, I can probably figure out how to subscribe to it if this thread does not seem appropriate.

I primarily use Windows but am also familiar with Apple/Ubuntu

I am not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination but am familiar with HTML and no problem adding/modifying files as needed. New to XMBC but not to PCs Wink

I would greatly appreciate any/all comments, thoughts, fables and legends although I do have a preference for facts.

Thanks to all reading and I sincerely hope I can get my problems with Frodo resolved.

First item of business would seem to be how to add Frodo to my system without Frodo and Eden stepping on each other but if there is another place to start, I'm listening!

Thanks Guys.

Here is my environment:

Windows 8x64 homegrown
3.4 quad core AMD
16g of memory
NVIDIA 603 video card 2GB of memory
6TB HD space
PC HDMI >> to Yamaha RX-A820 >> Mitsubishi WD73831 Diamond Series 1080p DLP
All cables are HDMI Redmere
Currently a 5.1 system although the receiver supports 7.2.
99% of movies are Blue-Ray/HD Rips, other 1% regular DVD, all installed on my PC with TV used as 2nd monitor.
Playback via XBMC Eden
Also have Total Media Theatre 5 installed/working
Razr with Android XBMC Remote App
Harmony 890 Remote
The Yamaha receiver is also on my network via ethernet
There was a major change in the audio code between Eden & Frodo with Frodo now having a entirely new audio subsystem, this has led to the HD audio formats now being support. Your video stutter issues are likely due to incorrect audio setting in order to make best use of the new audio subsystem on Frodo, as this type of behaviour usually happens when you've got a format enabled among the "capable receiver" items that your system does not support, likely to be the HD formats of DTS-HD MA and TrueHD since you refer to blu ray rips.

Use the sticky to check through your audio settings and resolve any problems http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911
I certainly appreciate the reply. Think it would have taken me a long time to associate audio with video stutter.

Think I tried all the different settings under audio as well but maybe I just need the right combo selected. Regardless, I appreciate the response and will start reading the thread you provided first thing.

Thanks again.
1st thing to do would be to confirm it's audio related and not something else, set:

Audio output: Analog
Speaker configuration: 2.0
Audio output device: WASAPI - HDMI (try Directsound also if there's still a problem)

If smooth then audio settings is your issue and you can delve deeper, if still not smooth then possibly something else at play.
Great advice! Certainly will do that first thing.

Appreciate your help.
Changing setting to:

Audio output: Analog
Speaker configuration: 2.0
Audio output device: WASAPI - HDMI

appeared to work fine.

However I was reading the AudioEngine/HOW-TO:Configure audio thread and got to section 1.1.1 which states:

1.1.1 AMD GPU

If using WASAPI do not use the Realtek HD Audio drivers as they do not work with the event driven mode XBMC uses for WASAPI. To use WASAPI you must use the AMD High Definition Audio drivers.

The question I have is the reference to the "AMD High Definition Audio drivers". Are we talking system board (motherboard) or video card? My system board uses an AMD processor and also has 7/1 audio drivers on the board. So if we're talking about the system board, I'll doublecheck to make sure I have the latest drivers and I should be good. However, if the reference is to the video card itself, my video card is a NVIDIA which is NOT AMD/ATI so if the reference is to the video card itself, then it appears I need to get a new AMD/ATI video card.

Right? Wrong? Somewhere in the middle??

Thanks!
If you are bitstreaming, you want to use GPU driver instead of of Realtek......you can grab GPU driver directly from their website...
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
What is your receiver plugged into? If it's the nVidia HDMI port then the nVidia drivers are what you need to check into.

Sorry, didn't check your log etc, but you have a couple of great XBMC pro's here on the case already - just give them all the details and make sure you know which path your audio is taking (i.e. which device is handling the audio)
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2013-02-27, 12:29)jjd-uk Wrote: There was a major change in the audio code between Eden & Frodo with Frodo now having a entirely new audio subsystem, this has led to the HD audio formats now being support. Your video stutter issues are likely due to incorrect audio setting in order to make best use of the new audio subsystem on Frodo, as this type of behaviour usually happens when you've got a format enabled among the "capable receiver" items that your system does not support, likely to be the HD formats of DTS-HD MA and TrueHD since you refer to blu ray rips.

Use the sticky to check through your audio settings and resolve any problems http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911

This is exactly what the problem was. And here I was tinkering with the rendering method and deinterlace settings. I just assumed that if the video was stuttering that it was a video setting issue didn't even consider that it was trouble with audio processing. Mine was set to HDMI output and once it was set to analog, it played perfectly.
This is why I love XBMC and the people that create and support it.
Thank you
(2013-02-27, 12:29)jjd-uk Wrote: There was a major change in the audio code between Eden & Frodo with Frodo now having a entirely new audio subsystem, this has led to the HD audio formats now being support. Your video stutter issues are likely due to incorrect audio setting in order to make best use of the new audio subsystem on Frodo, as this type of behaviour usually happens when you've got a format enabled among the "capable receiver" items that your system does not support, likely to be the HD formats of DTS-HD MA and TrueHD since you refer to blu ray rips.

A little older thread, but still extremely useful. Thank You! I set up a new machine for one of the kids, including XBMC, and I simply couldn't get it to work (mind you, I don't necessarily use a full setup for this). Every single video had stutter, all of which played absolutely fine outside of XBMC. Spent hours and hours trying to fix this, literally pulling my hair out, until I finally came across this thread. First I didn't want to believe it, but then I figured I'd better plug in a set of speakers, just to make sure, and what can I say... it's all working now!!! The reason the video wasn't working was because I had no speakers plugged in, and the audio was in some sort of error state. Plugging in a set of speakers solved my issue! If it wasn't for this thread, I'd have never (read: NEVER EVER) thought of trying this. Huh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo Video stutter Issues using Windows 80