Pi either freezes or reboots while playing media through WiFi
After a few 1 second buffers during a video (throughout a few minutes, either XBMC will crash and the system will reboot or the Pi will freeze after 10 minutes or so. It consistently happens in fresh installs of Openelec and Raspbmc.

The adapter is hooked up to a powered hub, and plugging it in/unplugging it does not affect the pi (plugging it in directly to the Pi can sometimes make the Pi restart, which seems to be a known power issue). I mention this because if the adapter were itself restarting/malfunctioning, it would seem odd to affect the Pi in such a way through the hub.

It is a Linksys AE1000 which I have used and tested on my PC without any problems using Ralink drivers. Model B Pi, network is a 5GHz network in the same room as the router (6 feet away at most with only the media source and the Pi connected to the 5GHz band). The source is a Mac and I have used AFP and SAMBA with the same outcome, also the source is not set to sleep during these tests and connection to the source has never been an issue; just a sustained connection. The thing that I don't understand is why, if the connection was an issue, why it is so greatly affecting the system the way it does.

Any suggestions? I plan on posting to the RPi forum too, but figured I'd start here at the common software point. I am also a very basic Linux user. Thank you!
You can install iperf as an addon in OpenELEC, so install it and shut down xbmc after touching the file "/var/lock/xbmc.disabled" then run iperf to verify your network connection is stable and delivering the kind of performance you expect, errors out or your Pi reboots. You'll need to run iperf on another machine in your network, binaries are available for Windows.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-02-28, 02:56)MilhouseVH Wrote: You can install iperf as an addon in OpenELEC, so install it and shut down xbmc after touching the file "/var/lock/xbmc.disabled" then run iperf to verify your network connection is stable and delivering the kind of performance you expect, errors out or your Pi reboots. You'll need to run iperf on another machine in your network, binaries are available for Windows.

Sorry! Openelec was my first try, and I am currently using Raspbmc. I'm researching iperf now and like you said I need a host machine. Also for some reason I can no longer ssh into my box as the "host key has changed" even though I have not changed anything (knowingly) since earlier today. Only other thing I did was another failed retro-pie attempt.

I'm just gonna reformat the card again (the thing might not last long at the rate I'm going) and try to figure this out tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pi either freezes or reboots while playing media through WiFi0