• 15(current)
Working JSON RPC API Examples
I am donating an example that I wasn't able to find elsewhere.  Maybe this is obvious to many but I struggled with it for a bit before I found an answer.  I was looking for a way to pass a variable to a JSON RPC call.  All of the examples I found had the string actually programmed into the RPC call.  Here's what I came up with, which works:

playitem = '"' + piclist[slideIdx] + '"'
                jjson_query = xbmc.executeJSONRPC('{"jsonrpc":"2.0", "method":"Player.Open",   "params":{"item":{"file":%s }},"id":1}' % (playitem)) 

In this example piclist is a list of file names (accessed by URLs) and slideIdx is the index to the item in the list.  This is part of a loop where I pass filenames to JSON RPC to play.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Just in case you are interested...if you would like to pass more variables to a JSON call, you have to do it that way:

xbmc.executeJSONRPC('{"jsonrpc":"2.0", "method":"VideoLibrary.Export", "params":{"options": {"actorthumbs": %s, "images": %s, "overwrite": %s}, "id":"1"}}' %(var1, var2, var3))

python:

act = true
img = false
over = true
xbmc.executeJSONRPC('{"jsonrpc":"2.0", "method":"VideoLibrary.Export", "params":{"options": {"actorthumbs": %s, "images": %s, "overwrite": %s}, "id":"1"}}' %(act, img, over))

The order will make the difference which one will be used for %s
I am trying to get a call to work by searching on the "path" for movies.

I am testing via Firefox, and can get expected results with:

http://127.0.0.1:8080/jsonrpc?request={
    "jsonrpc": "2.0",
    "method": "VideoLibrary.GetMovies",
    "params": {
        "filter": {"field": "path", "operator": "startswith", "value": "plugin://plugin.video.plexkodiconnect.movies/"},
        "sort": { "order": "ascending", "method": "label" },
        "properties": ["title"]
    },
    "id": 1
}

However, I need to have the path include a question mark (which does exist for all Movies in my case), so exactly the same as above, but with additional character at the end of the path:

"filter": {"field": "path", "operator": "startswith", "value": "plugin://plugin.video.plexkodiconnect.movies/?"},
    },
}

This gives no error, but also no results, which is incorrect, as all Movie paths do contain the question mark.

I've tried many variations on encoding the question mark, but I just can't seem to get the expected matches.

Any hints here?
(2022-10-11, 23:58)kcook_shield Wrote: I am trying to get a call to work by searching on the "path" for movies.

However, I need to have the path include a question mark (which does exist for all Movies in my case), so exactly the same as above, but with additional character at the end of the path:

"filter": {"field": "path", "operator": "startswith", "value": "plugin://plugin.video.plexkodiconnect.movies/?"},
    },
}

This gives no error, but also no results, which is incorrect, as all Movie paths do contain the question mark.

I've tried many variations on encoding the question mark, but I just can't seem to get the expected matches.

Any hints here?

Which operating system and file system are you using? A majority of file systems consider a question mark to be a wildcard character, so I'm surprised at your question. With HTTP paths, a question mark normally denotes that a variable and its value are about to follow. Have you tried using "%3F" (sans quotes)?
Headless Linux Kodi box [Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS Server] | Dedicated Media Server [Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS Server]
Thanks for the response, I see the error of my ways.

What I really wanted to search against is field "file" , not "path".

But trying same example with this change produces the "Received value does not match any of the union type definitions" error, which I guess means that field "file" is not searchable like this:

"filter": {"field": "file", "operator": "startswith", "value": "plugin://plugin.video.plexkodiconnect.movies/?"},
        "properties": ["title","file"]
    },
}

What I am trying to do requires that I start with just a "file" (that does exist) like:

plugin://plugin.video.plexkodiconnect.movies/?mode=play&plex_id=13630&plex_type=movie&filename=12 Angry Men (1957).mp4

And use jsonrpc to search for the related data for this entry, I now see that it does not look like this is possible (search based only on "file")?
Figured it out, had to use field "filename" (and urlencode the file) :

"filter": {"field": "filename", "operator": "is", "value": "plugin%3A%2F%2Fplugin.video.plexkodiconnect.movies%2F%3Fmode%3Dplay%26plex_id%3D13630%26plex_type%3Dmovie%26filename%3D12%20Angry%20Men%20%281957%29.mp4"},
        "properties": ["title","file"]
    },
}

This works, thanks for helping me see the issue!
Ha! Excellent! You beat me to it... LoL. Smile

I was about to write you back and suggest playing around with a different "field" or "sort" enum to see if you got a warmer response from the API. Glad you resolved it!

And I meant to mention URLencode in my last post... I apologize for what was a rather poorly worded suggestion on my part about the hex string for the ? character. I should have elaborated in that post and mentioned URLencode, though clearly you're astute enough to have gone down that path! :-)
Headless Linux Kodi box [Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS Server] | Dedicated Media Server [Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS Server]
Hi,

I don't understand where I am wrong, I send this command:
Quote:curl --data-binary '{ "jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.Export", "params": { "options": { "overwrite": false, "actorthumbs": true, "images": true } }, "id": 1 }' -H 'content-type: application/json;' http://192.168.26.12:8088/jsonrpc
and the nfo is create and the folder .actors but without fanart or poster or any jpeg.
I have no probleme with the interface.

Regards
(2022-10-16, 15:17)SolidGoti Wrote: Hi,

I don't understand where I am wrong, I send this command:
Quote:curl --data-binary '{ "jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.Export", "params": { "options": { "overwrite": false, "actorthumbs": true, "images": true } }, "id": 1 }' -H 'content-type: application/json;' http://192.168.26.12:8088/jsonrpc
and the nfo is create and the folder .actors but without fanart or poster or any jpeg.
I have no probleme with the interface.

The more details you can provide, the better... and the more likely you'll receive some helpful tips from others. For example: 1) Which operating system are you using? 2) Can you provide an example of the output you are receiving? 3) Which version of Kodi?

A couple of thoughts off-hand...

1) If you're using Kodi v17 or later, you must send API payload via POST method. If Kodi v16 and earlier, use GET.
2) Normally (from my experience) you need to include the username and password in the URL portion of the payload, in order to authenticate the remote call. Are you making the call from localhost?
Is there a way that I can tell when VideoLibrary.RefreshTVShow has finished?

I am using this command:
Code:
curl.exe -s -X POST -d '{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.RefreshTVShow", "params": { "tvshowid": 797, "refreshepisodes": true }, "id": "1"}' -H "content-type:application/json" http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@HOSTNAME:8080/jsonrpc
And it returns OK immediately, which isn't a surprise.

But then I have no idea when it's finished, and I don't really want to fire off multiple refreshes without knowing when they're done.

As a note, during the time when the show is refreshing, Library.IsScanningVideo:
Code:
curl -s -X POST -d '{ "jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "XBMC.GetInfoBooleans", "params": {"booleans": ["Library.IsScanningVideo"]}, "id": 1 }' -H 'content-type: application/json' http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@HOSTNAME:8080/jsonrpc
always returns "false". Apparently this only returns "true" when a full library scan is running. Which also isn't a surprise after thinking about it - but I was hoping that it would return "true" during a refresh.
Hoping for some help here, probably something right under my nose . . . 

The below string used to display thumbnails of ripped CDs and BDs stored on the same HTPC running KODI.  The movie libraries span three drives - D:/Movies, H:/Movies and J:/Movies.

jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"GUI.ActivateWindow","id":1,"params":{"window":"videos","parameters":["videodb://movies/titles"]}}

Now that I upgraded from Krypton running Mimc to Nexus running Mimic-LR, the command includes contents of an unwanted folder - L:/Concerts.

Similarly and probably related, the below string would display just the thumbnails from the L:/Concerts folder - but now displays a list of three system icons - Movies, Files, Playlists and Video add-ons.  I can click on 'Files' which lists Concerts, Movies and Add videos, click on Concerts and the correct content thumbnails appear.

jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"GUI.ActivateWindow","id":1,"params":{"window":"videos","parameters":["videodb://concerts/titles"]}}

What am I doing wrong?
Win10 64-bit
Kodi 20.1 / Mimic-LR
Not sure, but I don't think "concerts" is a known content type in Kodi.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
Fair point, I wanted a different folder name to keep it separate from the ripped movies.  Weird thing is, it worked before upgrading to 20.1.
Win10 64-bit
Kodi 20.1 / Mimic-LR
Hello. I am looking for an example to open the subtitle settings via JSON latest API on Omega and/or Nexus.
I searched this thread and can not find any examples so far. Similar but not same.
Anybody did that and can share the code please? Would appreciate! Many thanks.
Can someone tell me why the following request is getting an error when I put it in my browser? It works perfectly from within Webcore.

error
code: -32099
id: 0
jsonrpc: "2.0"

http://user:[email protected]:8081/jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","id":0,"method":"Player.Open","params":{"item":{"recursive":true, "directory":"special://profile/playlists/music/Trance.xsp"}}}
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Working JSON RPC API Examples0