Choppy VOB playback halfway through movie
same exact problem here, about an hour or so in video gets choppy. could it be a cache issue?
Information 
i've been getting something similar to this for a while but i've been playing 'film only' isos over the network from a nas and after some time the  video goes choppy but mostly the sound starts breaking up.

i've been able to get the thing back on track again by just enabling the 'no cache' option from the osd which seems to do some sort of reset. on earlier builds this used to take me back to the start of the movie but with more recent ones it just carrys on but without the broken playback - i did read somewhere that the new dvd player  :bowdown: doesn't use this option so it might not be doing what you'd think.

i tried setting the 'no cache' option at the start to pre-empt  trouble but the broken playback still occured and to return to normal i just unset the option - like i say it seems to reset something which gets things back on track.

good luck with this one.

it might be interesting to see some feedback from others on what effect this option change has - at the least to see if it's related.

regards
the "no cache" option would - if it works as it should, restart playback at same position, thus restarting the whole player. it's known that this bypasses the issue
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

since the dvdplayer supports fast forward now, could someone test it if using it results in the problem to.., start the movie, ff 2x to about 0:50 hour (just before the stuttering), resume playback at 1x again and check wether it starts to stutter.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

there is a risk that it makes a seek if you ff, but i suppose it's worth a shot.

i will try the ff thing and see what it does, i would like to try the cache trick also. how do i select the “no cache” option?
(pike @ jan. 11 2006,12:06 Wrote:the "no cache" option would - if it works as it should, restart playback at same position, thus restarting the whole player. it's known that this bypasses the issue
pike, are you saying disableling the cache will fix the problem? or cause the player to stop and then restart at the same point - about equally annoying to the stuttering.

is this a know problem/bug? is it a priority to try to fix?
check out the best dvd editing software available: dvd remake pro
Best CD Ripper Available (better then EAC): dbpoweramp R12 reference
Quote:disableling the cache will fix the problem?
no
Quote:or cause the player to stop and then restart at the same point - about equally annoying to the stuttering.
yes
Quote:is this a know problem/bug? is it a priority to try to fix?
yes, and it has the highest priority since it makes the dvdplayer a bit useless atm.

i just went back and tried one iso that causes problems and it really is sound that breaks up although the frame rate does drop.

it happens within 30 minutes but oddly enough it manages to pick itself and continue normally only to start breaking up again. seems to repeat this pattern but with an ever worsening frame rate as time goes on.

i'll give some details - sorry if this doesn't fit with this thread.

he's my setup followed by what i hope might be useful observations of the 'showmem' and info banners.

movie only iso without any compression added during rip and one sound track in dolby digital, playing from a nas over a 10/100 wired network. movie is region 2. it's widescreen.

xbox is set to support output at 60hz, widescreen and is set as pal. output is analog.

build is t3ch 01/01/2006.

i put on the 'showmem' xml setting and for what its worth it shows a continual drop in memory. at the start of the movie it was 29 meg at an hour in it was just under 23.

when the sound starts breaking (within 30 mins) the frame rate only dropped by a couple of frames. the frame rate got worse every time the sound broke up down to 11fps at one time.

looking at the info bar during sound breaking the aq size was zero and the vq size was bouncing around in what looked like the teens - no idea what they mean. in fact when the frame rate is really low the vq doesn't get into double figures.

i'm not seeing dropped frames when the sound breaks but i do get pauses in some scene changes and looking at the info banner at an 1hr and 15mins in it shows 350 dropped frames - which probably isn't that bad. i only mention it since it didn't use to pause like this.

i could copy the iso local and try it there if this and that would be of some use. i'll try ff also.
Star 
i am also seeing this audio issue. i have not had it happen when streaming movies over the lan, just when using the internal dvd drive.

it always occurs 55~110 minutes into the movie. all movies that i play in the internal dvd drive.

i have noticed that if i hit b and stop the movie, then restart it and ff to where i left off, it will play the rest of the movie with no problems.

when playing long movies like lord of the rings, i usually have to stop the movie twice.

i have played several movies over the lan with no problems, although they are all divx.

i have upgraded to each new t3ch release, currently using the 1-1-2006 build. the issue has been their since i started using the 9-12-2005 build.

if it helps, the issue is the same regardless of the video/audio output type i use. when playing movies in the theater, i use the hd cable set, when in the family room, i use the composite set. either way an hour into the movie the problem starts.

i have tried increasing all of the "audio" cache sizes that are related to dvd and dvdrom playback, and there was no change.

if there is any information i can post to help please let me know.

:help:
one thing i'd like somebody to test.
start playback for say 20 mins, press the y (or display on remote) button to toggle back into gui while movie is still playing. then toggle back and keep playing, don't touch anything else.

does the hickup occur on same place as before or has it been delayed 20 mins?

glad there's some more interest in this.

i did try my iso from the hdd and the same happens there.

i don't get this on all my isos in fact i had a suspicion that it was video at a rate of 7800 - as reported by banner from the info button of the remote. but it might be coincidence and i'd have to play them again to find them.

i've done a quick test at jumping in to 20mins into the movie but nothing breaks up at that point. haven't played it for a further 20 mins but i mentioned from my previous post that when the sound breaks up the frame rate drops and after a couple of minutes it gets better again until later when it happens again but the frame rate gets worse.

to get through an iso with problems i use the 'no cache' option multiple times to get through it - i've never ff'd from the start.

any thoughts on what might be memory leaking?

regards
elupus - i'll check that when i get home in a few hours.
leaking??
didn't think the dvdplayer had that many leaks. maybe some minor, but not any major. mplayer could leak about 500k per run, atleast that has been reported before.. i've only seen it leak max 100k, but that has been exceptions.

Quote:leaking??
didn't think the dvdplayer had that many leaks. maybe some minor, but not any major. mplayer could leak about 500k per run, atleast that has been reported before.. i've only seen it leak max 100k, but that has been exceptions.
that should have been fixed. the dvd player was leaking, but all memory was cleaned up when the dvdplayer was unloaded. while the movie is playing, memory decreased. this did not happen for all dvd's, just a few. but please make sure you are using an uptodate xbmc and uptodate dll's for the dvdplayer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy VOB playback halfway through movie0