Choppy VOB playback halfway through movie
Quote:start playback for say 20 mins, press the y (or display on remote) button to toggle back into gui while movie is still playing. then toggle back and keep playing, don't touch anything else.

i just did this on a movie that i knew stuttered (and where) and it still stuttered in the same places.
Quote:that should have been fixed. the dvd player was leaking, but all memory was cleaned up when the dvdplayer was unloaded. while the movie is playing, memory decreased. this did not happen for all dvd's, just a few. but please make sure you are using an uptodate xbmc and uptodate dll's for the dvdplayer

darkie

thanks for that, that's exactly what i'm seeing - the memory jumps back up when the movie is stopped. thought it might have something to do with the sound break up and the drop in frame rate.
i see about 2meg in 20 minutes on the majority of my isos - playing from wired nas. would that be excessive?
i've a t3ch 01/01/06 build.
broken sound only happens on a few isos. trying to do a little more research but it takes time to let them play.

as an aside: where does the memory go? i assume, as it's tidied up, that it's pointers are stored somewhere and then  deleted. it couldn't be a collection of these things that gets a little to big and causes problems would it? or is it done with loading/unloading sections that i've heard about in xbe.
i'm also having some probs playing iso's with the xbox.

i've got a folder shared on my pc with about 10 dvd's as iso or img, but when xbmc starts playing them, everything works perfect except sound. all movies play good, but there's no sound.

tried ftping to the xbox to play from the xbox hdd, same problem. also tried extracting them and play the .ifo, but no sound. not even when i upload the video_ts folder to the xbox hdd.

when they;re burned on dvd, the xbox plays them perfect, but i;ve got a better dvd player then the xbox, the reason for using the streaming method was becouse i ran out of dvd's Sad

anyone know a solution?
good to see i finally started a thread about a problem that others shared as well. Wink

my wife and i watched a divx-encoded movie over the lan this weekend and ran into a similar, yet self-correcting, stuttering problem. every 10 minutes or so, the video playback would drop a frame or two and the audio would go silent for about 1 second. it would happen two or three times within a minute, and then not do it anymore for another 10-15 minutes. it was frustrating.

there was no other activity on the lan, so that couldn't have been the problem. the audio in the file was ac3 and the video was less than dvd resolution. it should have played back smoothly.

the only thing i can think of is that the files were being served up by my imac. we all know that apple computers don't deal with smb very well. i'm going to try playing back the same movie off of a pc to see if it serves it up more smoothly. i'll report back here either way.
it was said above that this is a know problem with the dvd player and its a top priority... im just curious if any progress is being made
check out the best dvd editing software available: dvd remake pro
Best CD Ripper Available (better then EAC): dbpoweramp R12 reference
just to add my experience of it:
playing avi over lan = no problem.
playing dvd in the internal drive = choppy after 50-60 min's, and this goes for all dvd's.

i've also had no probs playing divx/xvid over lan.

if i put a dvd in the drive of the xbox it plays the dvd perfect, with sound and everything, no stutters or whatsoever. but over lan or copied to the hdd of the xbox it plays without sound
i've experienced this issue as well playing from ifo across my network. it seems to occur at the beginning of a chapter and so i was suspecting that the problem was happening when switching to a new vob. restarting the chapter results in the same problem with choppy audio and dropped frames. if i stop the movie and replay the ifo i can skip chapters to the beginning of the chapter when the problem occured and the movie plays through fine.
(crunc}{er @ jan. 17 2006,23:51 Wrote:it was said above that this is a know problem with the dvd player and its a top priority... im just curious if any progress is being made
i am wondering the same thing too.

if this is going to take some time to straighten out, then maybe you could give us all a global option to use mplayer as a temporary fix until this is sorted out. currently, it's a pain in the arse to manually use mplayer each time and even then you can only do that in file view.
i have exact same prob with first original dvd i have tried to watch in xbox via xbmc. just over 1 hour playing the video stutters at about 1 fps and there i lose sound. it happens at exact same spot int he movie. if i rewind it will go back to normal if i fast forward it doesnt fix it. booted ms dash and that has no problems with it
if you are playing dvds from the original dvds, please try the layer change hacked version of libdvdcss-2.dll and see how it goes.

thanks,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i am having the same problem...kindof. i can play a vob over 10/100 and it will play fine for...honestly...an uncertain amount of time, then randomly stop playing. sometimes, if i catch it in time, i can rewind and when i play again, it will play fine through the same point, only to do it again layter in the movie. if i don't catch it in time, it will completely lock-up the xbox with the only resolve to physically re-start the xbox (no resonce from either the remote or my wireless controller). another interesting sidenote: i recently ripped mr & mrs smith to my hdd (cut the plastic off and ripped...totally brand-new) (external usb 2.0 hdd on the server in my office). tried playing the file that night, and it played perfectly..all the ay through. two days layter, my wife went to watch it (streaming via xbmc), and it wouldn't even let her select it. she could pick the movie both above and below it, just no that one. if i am playing a move and i want to catch the errors in the log file, will i need the xbmc.old.log or the xbmc.log? do i need to hold x+y (debug mode, right?) while xbmc loads, then try playing a movie (preferrably one that i know will lock and/or skip)? i really want to help get this fixed, as me and my wife want our entire movie/vhs/cd collection on hdd and be able to stream it to any room in the house.
anything new on this issue?
try the latest build. it has worked fine on the 2 movies i've tried and they were both movies that had this problem in other builds.
(rockdawg @ feb. 07 2006,19:09 Wrote:try the latest build.  it has worked fine on the 2 movies i've tried and they were both movies that had this problem in other builds.
the latest build i have is 2006-01-24-t3ch.  is that the latest build?  if not, could someone point me in the right direction to get it??

edit:my bad...i am downloading the 2006-02-06-t3ch build. will install and test with a couple of movies tonight. will try to reply w/in the next day or so (gotta give the wife some time to try as well!!!Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy VOB playback halfway through movie0