• 74(current)
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility
No, --artwork is still a valid argument, not sure why it's not accepting it. Do you have the latest version of mklocal.py - unlike texturecache.py, it doesn't auto-update so you may need to re-download it (save the "raw" source code content from github).

You can check the supported arguments of the version you have installed with "./mklocal.py -h" - if --artwork isn't listed then you have an old version.

Your "Broken pipe" error is because mklocal.py failed to start (due to the arguments not being valid) so texturecache.py had nowhere to send its data.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks Milhouse! Brilliant! I thought that mklocal auto-updated. Got the new version, looks like things are progressing now Smile
Here's an interesting error for you to ponder!

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./mklocal.py", line 793, in <module>
    main(init())
  File "./mklocal.py", line 773, in main
    workitem = processItem(args, "episode", episode, episode_items, showTitle=mediatitle)
  File "./mklocal.py", line 371, in processItem
    newname = processArtwork(args, mediatype, media, mediatitle, artitem["type"], mediafile, oldname, artpath_m, artpath_s)
  File "./mklocal.py", line 443, in processArtwork
    fname = pathToXBMC(getImage(args, mediatype, media, title, atype, filename, currentname, target))
  File "./mklocal.py", line 538, in getImage
    info(args, "%9d bytes" % len(idata), atype, title, None, None, target=target)
  File "./mklocal.py", line 107, in info
    line = "%s%-15s - %-10s - %-45s -> %s" % (line, msg, atype.center(10), addEllipsis(45, title), target)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 68: ordinal not in range(128)
Ugh... if you can zip up the output from texturecache.py jd tvshows (assuming that is your source) and PM me a link while also mentioning the command you are using to run mklocal.py, I'll see if there's a simple fix.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
From @pgjensen:

Your config:
Code:
user@MEDIA:~$ cat /usr/local/bin/texturecache.cfg
userdata = /mnt/storage2/xbmc/userdata
dbfile = Database/Textures13.db
thumbnails = Thumbnails
xbmc.host = 192.168.2.2
webserver.port = 8000
webserver.username = xbmc
webserver.password = HIDDEN
rpc.port = 9090
download.threads = 8

logfile = /home/user/texturecache.log
logfile.verbose = yes

Your log:
Code:
xbmc@MEDIA:~$ cat texturecache.log
2014-09-11 11:26:51.286353:MainThread: Command line args: ['/usr/local/bin/texturecache.py', 'c', 'artists']
2014-09-11 11:26:51.286427:MainThread: Current version #: v1.7.6
2014-09-11 11:26:51.286460:MainThread: Current platform : linux2
2014-09-11 11:26:51.286496:MainThread: Python  version #: v2.7.3.0 (final)
2014-09-11 11:26:51.312188:MainThread: JSON Texture DB API available and will be used to access the Texture DB

You tell me (in a PM) that /mnt/storage2/xbmc/userdata is mounted on the host that is 192.168.2.2.

I'm still not clear on what exactly you're trying to do, but from the information you've told me it looks like you're trying to populate a mounted userdata folder with cached artwork, using a kodi client listening on 192.168.2.2.

Thing is, the Kodi client is updating it's own userdata folder which may not be the same userdata folder you have configured the script to use. And since the introduction of the JSON Textures API, the script isn't even going to be accessing the userdata folder so even though you have a userdata folder mounted and configured, it's not being used by the script (or, I'm assuming, the Kodi client).

I don't know if the userdata folder you have mounted is the same userdata folder in use by the client listening on 192.168.2.2, but if it's not (and I'm guessing it's not) then that would explain why it's not being updated - because the client on 192.168.2.2 is looking at it's own userdata folder and updating that folder.

There is no way for you to pre-load the cache of a remote userdata folder using a Kodi client that is configured to use a different userdata folder.

The best way to accomplish what you want to do is rsync at boot.

Or, alternatively, connect in turn to each client and pre-load their cache - don't try and use some sort of "proxy" Kodi client to update each userdata folder.

Should you want to configure multiple clients, add "[sections]" to your texturecache.cfg which makes scripting updates to each client much easier, for instance:
Code:
webserver.port = 8000
webserver.username = xbmc
webserver.password = HIDDEN
rpc.port = 9090
download.threads = 8

logfile = /home/user/texturecache.log
logfile.verbose = yes

[master]
xbmc.host = 192.168.2.2
network.mac = aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:00

[lounge]
xbmc.host = 192.168.2.3
network.mac = aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:01

[bedroom]
xbmc.host = 192.168.2.4
network.mac = aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:02

Then, to update the cached movie artwork for all three clients:
Code:
texturecache.py c movies @section=master
texturecache.py c movies @section=lounge
texturecache.py c movies @section=bedroom
Question: What does it cache when caching songs? does kodi wan't album art for every track?

It keeps dying trying to cache songs on raspberrypi , only message I see everytime is "killedogg$ " it cuts off my prompt with killed but no reason i can see, i'm guessing it choked on 78,000 tracks, so I'm wondering why is it caching things for songs?

I know i have all album art embedded but shouldn't albums be enough or is it for singles and such?

Edit: Is there a debug switch I can use to try and figure it out? it took most of a day and half before it error'd
It will cache whatever thumbnail/fanart has been assigned to each song.

For album songs, this is likely to be the artist fanart and album thumbnail, so probably not necessary to cache all your songs - instead just cache artists and albums. Singles could benefit from caching.

Chances are you're running out of memory - check dmesg for out of memory errors when the script is killed. What hardware are you running this on? Try running it on mute powerful hardware, just point the script at your Kodi client with @xbmc.host=<ipaddress>.

Embedded artwork can't be pre-loaded into the cache, so you're probably wasting your time on that anyway.
(2014-09-24, 08:13)Milhouse Wrote: For album songs, this is likely to be the artist fanart and album thumbnail, so probably not necessary to cache all your songs - instead just cache artists and albums. Singles could benefit from caching.

I started with artists, then albums then everything.

Quote:Chances are you're running out of memory - check dmesg for out of memory errors when the script is killed. What hardware are you running this on? Try running it on mute powerful hardware, just point the script at your Kodi client with @xbmc.host=<ipaddress>.

I ran it on raspberrypi

I will try again from my server like you suggest.
Quote:Embedded artwork can't be pre-loaded into the cache, so you're probably wasting your time on that anyway.

I use beets to organize my music and it embeds and puts folder.jpg for albumart. I just wondered if embeded is why it scans songs for artwork.
@Milhouse

You remember that bug about the the when theres a new season the last season covers arent downloaded. That this patch resolves https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3546

Well, since it doesn't look like anyone is going to pull that in for Helix and a workaround is to refresh that last season and when xbmc/kodi asks Do you wish to refersh info for all episodes you say no, and goto through that process and select the series name from list (almost always top entry), I was wondering if that is possible to automate via your script somehow?
Sure, use mklocal.py - it's what I now use and works a treat. It will assign any local artwork that isn't already in the media library, so will find the new season posters once you've scraped in the first episode of the new season.
Wont that put the artwork where series is though?
Hmm, maybe I spoke too soon.

Whether mklocal.py will work for you depends on whether you have the season artwork downloaded already or not.

My use case has Sickbeard downloading the new season artwork as and when it becomes available on thetvdb.com, and that's never been a problem. The problem for me has always been associating the media library with any new local season artwork once the first episode of a new season is scraped, and for that I'm now using mklocal.py as a workaround.

However I do not know of a fix if you are relying on the Kodi scraper to find and download the artwork for you. PR3546 does/did resolve that, but for reasons I'm still not sure I fully understand is going nowhere, despite seeming to work just fine.
mklocal wont work for me then.

The workaround does it, or that patch.

Hence I I asked if its possible to automate the workaround for time being, but if not Ill just manually use workaround as it also works for rating/amount of votes in addition of actaully downloadibg the last season poster which gets ignored on the new episodes dlwd.

Yes, I dont understand why the actual portion that fixes bug isnt cherry picked and committed, but then again I dont understand any of the code.
tools/mklocal.py updated to version 0.2.3 with fix for Unicode filename problem reported by raspberry_pd - please update manually if you are using mklocal.py, it does not auto-update.
Just a quick THANK YOU Milhouse for providing this excellent tool and detailed instructions.

Options 'c' and 'P' made an already decent windows system more responsive and reduced thumb folder from 25GB to 18GB on an SSD.
I had doubts at 1st thinking this might screw up a heavily modified Aeon Nox 4.1.9 so backed up the entire DB.
Happily and very surprised that EVERYTHING is in tact and functioning perfectly after using your tool.

Thank you for your ambition, dedicated hard work and free contribution(s) for myself and others.

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
  • 74(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility17