[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility
It's quite interesting monitoring free memory on a Raspberry Pi while pre-loading an entire media class, say movies, with almost 1200 items, as there seems to be a quite significant memory leak.

I'm using this shell script on a 512MB Raspberry Pi with 128MB GPU memory split. Pre-loading with 10 threads.

See this pastebin of the memory stats and period in question. Tested on latest OpenELEC built from git this morning.

Straight after booting, and without loading SYSTEM into RAM on OpenELEC (add noram to cmdline.txt), the Pi has 150MB RAM free, and I've left XBMC idle at the menu (actually in the Videos -> Files list, so as not to waste CPU cycles sat on the main menu). The pre-load process is started and as you'd expect, the free memory drops... but it keeps on dropping, and by the time the process is complete, the Pi is down to 22MB free memory. Almost none of the memory used is ever returned by the time the script terminates - I'm guessing the only memory that is returned, about 16MB, is that used by the Python script.

Memory leak, or can someone give a reasonable explanation for this loss of 110MB RAM?

Update: I just tried running the same "C movies" test again, without rebooting or doing anything on the Pi, starting from 19MB free memory and expecting the Pi to crash mid-test OOM (I have no swap), but bizarrely the amount of free memory is now increasing as the test proceeeds (see pastebin for before/during/after). The "C movies" pre-load started with 19MB of free memory, then increased throughout the entire test, as though memory were being released from some hidden reserves... finally finishing with 166MB free (not including ~14MB for Python?)

Bizarre! Huh
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 4.76 Average

Messages In This Thread
RE: [RELEASE] Texture Cache maintenance utility - by Milhouse - 2013-03-29, 18:04
Crash on Gotham on OS X - by desepticon - 2014-05-29, 17:57
Cleaning - by AleisterHH - 2018-05-28, 22:03
RE: Cleaning - by Milhouse - 2018-05-28, 22:16
qax genre not updated - by Just-Me_A-User - 2018-06-12, 22:06
RE: qax genre not updated - by Milhouse - 2018-06-12, 23:40

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility4.7617