[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility
(2014-01-07, 04:35)rubpa Wrote: I'm running the first command (./texturecache.py P) right now and I see lines like below. I assume it means this path does not exist in my library but I've checked that this file exists.

012102|6/6c2226db.jpg|0240|0360|0004|2013-12-22 17:23:44|2013-12-22 22:51:53|image://%2fmnt<some path>%2fDSC_0091.JPG/transform?size=thumb

Yes, that url (image://) doesn't exist in your media library so the texture cache database row and the corresponding thumbnail file are being deleted.

(2014-01-07, 04:35)rubpa Wrote: I see thousands of such lines (it's running for more than an hour now, I've more than 15000 pictures). Is the utility doing the right thing?

Should be working correctly, assuming you really wanted those cached items to be removed.

What it's doing is removing any cached artwork that is not part of your media library. Pictures/photos are not represented in the media library (they're not scanned or scraped into the library as songs, tvshows and movies are) so any associated cached artwork (such as the above "thumb" - or preview - version of your camera photo) will be removed from the cache by "pruning" (P).

I hasten to add the script will never modify or remove your original images, it will only be removing the cached versions and these are typically created in order to preview a photo when browsing through the file system.

I'm not sure if their removal is what you intended, but I got the impression you wanted to get rid of photos (from the cache).

I've never really looked into how pictures are handled by xbmc, but as far as I can see only the smaller thumbnail previews are being cached and the original artwork is always displayed directly, not via the cache. If caching of the original picture artwork is possible (and beneficial) then this could be supported in a similar way to extrafanart/extrathumbs. At least then the previews wouldn't be cleared out when pruning as they would be matched against the original artwork.

Edit: The contents of directories not within a media source cannot be viewed using JSON so scanning an arbitrary directory of photos so that they might be pre-cached is sadly not possible. If you want to keep your photo previews, I would suggest adding the following entry to texturecache.cfg:
Code:
prune.retain.types = <some path>/.*

where <some path> is your photo path (doesn't have to be the whole path, just enough to be unlike any other non-picture path, eg. "/mnt/mypictures/.*").

Edit2: OK arbitrary photo directories are out, but if the folder is within your Pictures source then it can be scanned... and cached.

Note: I recently uploaded v1.2.8 of the script as these photo urls should be being decoded - now they are (you should automatically be updated to the latest version).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility - by Milhouse - 2014-01-07, 05:38
Crash on Gotham on OS X - by desepticon - 2014-05-29, 17:57
Cleaning - by AleisterHH - 2018-05-28, 22:03
RE: Cleaning - by Milhouse - 2018-05-28, 22:16
qax genre not updated - by Just-Me_A-User - 2018-06-12, 22:06
RE: qax genre not updated - by Milhouse - 2018-06-12, 23:40
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility17