• 88(current)
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility
im using aeon nox, on the movies tab i have "movies fanart" as background,
it take couple of minutes until 1st fanart is showing,
im guessing running arguments 'c' then 'p' (the manual doesnt say whats the diff between p and P) then 'r' locally will make it better,
do you think im right?

btw, the exec command is great, i made a schedule task to run artwork downloader each night...
"Xd" and "R" will remove any bogus entries from your texture cache (database rows referencing missing thumbnail files, and thumbnail files that exist but are not referenced by database rows, respectively). This could improve GUI performance, as it will prevent Kodi from trying to load non-existent artwork.

"p" is only required if you're looking to remove ("prune") artwork that is no longer used and just wasting space (it's unlikely to improve GUI performance). "p" is a dry run, "P" actually removes the unused artwork (same with "r" and "R" - former is a dry-run, latter does the removal).

To pre-load the cache with artwork, yes, "c" will work (and will usually have a significant impact on GUI performance).

If you're still experiencing two minute delays, it's unlikely to be a caching problem unless your network is chronically slow or your SQLite/local Thumbnails file system is shot to pieces, in which case there should be errors in kodi.log.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-02-15, 00:49)Milhouse Wrote: "Xd" and "R" will remove any bogus entries from your texture cache (database rows referencing missing thumbnail files, and thumbnail files that exist but are not referenced by database rows, respectively). This could improve GUI performance, as it will prevent Kodi from trying to load non-existent artwork.

"p" is only required if you're looking to remove ("prune") artwork that is no longer used and just wasting space (it's unlikely to improve GUI performance). "p" is a dry run, "P" actually removes the unused artwork (same with "r" and "R" - former is a dry-run, latter does the removal).

To pre-load the cache with artwork, yes, "c" will work (and will usually have a significant impact on GUI performance).

If you're still experiencing two minute delays, it's unlikely to be a caching problem unless your network is chronically slow or your SQLite/local Thumbnails file system is shot to pieces, in which case there should be errors in kodi.log.

thanks for the explanation...will try today Smile
hey milhouse,
i think there is a problem with unicode, im getting alot of errors:

10:52:48 T:5504 ERROR: Texture manager unable to load image from memory
10:52:48 T:5504 ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
10:52:48 T:5504 ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open image://C%3a%5cUsers%5cYaniv%5cAppData%5cRoaming%5cKodi%5cuserdata%5caddon_data%5cplugin.video.israelive%5clogos%2fd2f8130ddffb00bb21875f0a198060b8.png/
10:52:49 T:5716 ERROR: Texture manager unable to load image from memory
10:52:49 T:5716 ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
10:52:49 T:5716 ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open image://C%3a%5cUsers%5cYaniv%5cAppData%5cRoaming%5cKodi%5cuserdata%5caddon_data%5cplugin.video.israelive%5clogos%2fd2f8130ddffb00bb21875f0a198060b8.png/
10:52:51 T:5544 ERROR: Texture manager unable to load image from memory
10:52:51 T:5544 ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
10:52:51 T:5544 ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open image://C%3a%5cUsers%5cYaniv%5cAppData%5cRoaming%5cKodi%5cuserdata%5caddon_data%5cplugin.video.israelive%5clogos%2f647c0c46a7e4a5d190540c3497a627b8.png/
10:52:52 T:5716 ERROR: Texture manager unable to load image from memory
10:52:52 T:5716 ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
10:52:52 T:5716 ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open image://C%3a%5cUsers%5cYaniv%5cAppData%5cRoaming%5cKodi%5cuserdata%5caddon_data%5cplugin.video.israelive%5clogos%2f647c0c46a7e4a5d190540c3497a627b8.png/
Can't say without a log from the script - enable with @logfile=c:\tc.log (but don't paste it in the forum, use pastebin).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-02-15, 11:04)Milhouse Wrote: Can't say without a log from the script - enable with @logfile=c:\tc.log (but don't paste it in the forum, use pastebin).

will do, sorry.
(2015-02-15, 00:49)Milhouse Wrote: "Xd" and "R" will remove any bogus entries from your texture cache (database rows referencing missing thumbnail files, and thumbnail files that exist but are not referenced by database rows, respectively). This could improve GUI performance, as it will prevent Kodi from trying to load non-existent artwork.

wow, works great now, thanks
I'm trying to get texturecache.py to run on my Fire TV in order to be able to use the R option. (P is working fine remotely with my SPMC/Gotham install). But I am realizing now that this is only possible on a rooted FTV (mine is not rootable), because otherwise one cannot make the script executable? Or am I missing something?

In other words: how do I run texturecache.py on a non-rooted Fire TV?
No idea about Android, sorry. Maybe someone else can help. If it's just a matter of adding the executable flag on the file texturecache.py, this isn't strictly necessary as you can instead run it using "python texturecache.py" (assuming you've python installed on your FireTV).
Ok, so when is this module going to become a standard feature of Kodi?

It is a really nice tool, works great, but I will be damned if I am going to load Python on 17 Kodi installations throughout my house. Yes, I have at least one HTPC in each main living area/bedroom/etc. and maintenance is a huge PITA for an installation like this. I have 5 kids and multiple adults here that all use the media systems all the time.

Why not right the thing in whatever language Kodi is written in as a standard module and have it included like the library cleanup toolHuh

I hate having to jump through hoops because someone "missed the boat" and didn't develop this tool properly in the first place. I run exclusive windows setups (personal choice, as I really don't want to manage a ton of *nix installs) and have just moved to FireTV sticks for a couple locations.

What REALLY needs to happen is for them to evolve the thumbnail system across the board and move it into a real database instead of a ton of files. People like me have a decent sized server (32TB without online backups, which total another 23TB) that can serve a solid database implementation. Hell, at least develop the thumbnail side so that it isn't a clusterf*** like it is now so that you can setup a single SMB share or something and have all the installations share it.

It just seems stupid to have local thumbnail caches everywhere. Oh, and after installing the FireTV stick and updating the library there are a ton of thumbnails that don't show up properly. So I am now going to have to install Python and mess around with this. THAT is why I hate *nix is the fact that it is a hackers wet dream in that you can load everything with a simple command line, but in the end it is just more and more time wasted messing around. Write a GUI app that gives a couple options and an execute and let it be done.

Like I said, THIS needs to be part of Kodi. It seems as if Kodi is making great strides to be a "best in class" media center, but to do that these issues need to be attended to.

Milhouse, great effort and work on this. Maybe you should see if you can move into the development side of Kodi or at least partner with one of the developers to "fix" this glaring hole in their design.

I have been using Kodi/XBMC since it was originally released on the original Xbox. The thumbnail cache seemed dumb back then and it is amazing it hasn't evolved since.
Or, how about having it as a Add-On that auto-installs at the very leastHuh
You can always run the script on one machine (one installation of Python, assuming it's not a Linux system where Python comes pre-installed) then control all 17 clients using the "xbmc.host" parameter. Schedule it to run without interrupting anyone. Run it often, so that your system(s) are in peak condition.

Being able to automate stuff is the primary benefit of scripting, which becomes harder when you turn everything into a GUI addon that often requires user intervention, and can only show limited output which can't be piped into other scripts for further processing. There are a whole host of limitations when writing an addon, and I didn't want those, nor did I need any of the supposed benefits from writing an addon.

Now, if you think a local thumbnail cache is crazy (it's not, really) then I'm surprised why you haven't considered running the script on a single machine rather than try to install it 17 times.

And if someone wants to create an addon with the functionality of this script, or similar, then that's absolutely fine with me but I have no interest in doing it so please, don't moan at me. Better yet, write it yourself ("properly", of course). Wink
Ide like some progress bars and some coloring Smile
Ooooh colours... don't tempt me! Smile
Ahh gooo on, you know you wanna. At least make some dancing ducks or something interesting to look at on terminal...
  • 88(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility17