Live TV streamed from TV-server to HTPC?
Hi.

It's really nice to see the added Live TV support, although I haven't been able to try it out just yet.

My setup:

HTPC in the living room. (E-350 w. SSD)
NAS (dedicated PC running Windows) store elsewhere in house. (all media is located here)
My computers are running in a gigabit network.

I'm having a Hauppauge WinTV-Nova-TD-500 laying around. A dual tuner DVB-T card. I was wondering if I can use Live TV this way:

1) Put the DVB-T card in my NAS.
2) Record TV and store recorded TV on my NAS.
3) Schedule recordings via webbrowser from my laptop.
4) Watch live TV and TV-recordings in XBMC 12 on my HTPC
5) Is dual-tuner supported in XBMC? So I can record one show while watching another

edit: actually it would be nice to have the following too:
6) Access to "TV Guide"
7) Schedule recordings directly from XBMC (TV Guide)

Can these steps be done? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Yes to all questions! Install dvbviewer or nextpvr as backend
Fantastic! Smile

I guess it's possible to shift channel too Smile

What would you recommend as backend? what is easiest "out-of-the-box"? Smile
If you are in the UK, the easiest to set-up is a slightly hacked version of Media Portal however it doesn't (as far as I know) allow recording to be set-up via a web browser. Its a 30-40min set-up including EPG set-up.

Heres a quick copy and paste from another thread I wrote on.

-----
Do the full set-up. The reason why I choose Media-Portal is that some-one has created a slightly hacked version which can add all the Sky Channels including Genres (i.e entertainment, sport, news etc...) at practically a touch of the button. It makes this the quickest install that I know of. It also does FreeSat channels.

If you use this... first install the real MediaPortal and then the modified version after.
Normal link;
http://www.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-download

Here is a link to the modified version including instructions.
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/thread...ber.96767/

I use 1.3.0. I haven't noticed any issues with it.

------

The back-end does the hard job. You set-up the channels, EPG etc... there and XMBC simply will reflect how you set it up. You watch TV through XBMC with the stream created from the back-end. If you set it up correctly XBMC will have an EPG, and also allow you to set-up recordings and watch them back.

All the back-end's do basically the same job and it comes down to personal preference.

I like MediaPortal as its easy to set-up.
I used to use Next-PVR years ago and it was always robust. It used to use less resources than Mediaportal. I'm expecting will be similar now. Not as easy to set-up as Mediaportal though.
Argus TV, has an EPG that you can use via a web browser. I find it a bugger to set-up to others here like it.

Most people though seem to agree that that Linux TV-backends are more robust. If you are setting your server up from scratch it is maybe something you should look into.
-----------------------------------
Front End: Asrock ION 3D running OpenElec - Backend: Dedicated server Running Ubuntu with TBS 6981 DVB-S2 USB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV streamed from TV-server to HTPC?0