playing back large number of music tracks
Hi folks,

I have noticed a change in behaviour of my system over the last few months, changing from Eden to Frodo.

Originally, I used to be able to press play on a genre or artist and XBMC would easily play all the songs in that genre or artist, even if it was a genre that contained thousands of songs. Gradually I have noticed it take longer and longer before playback begins, and now it doesn't seem to be able to play some genres at all (the ones with the most songs). If I press play on a genre with only a few songs, such as acoustic folk, it works fine, but Rock just makes XBMC crash. I get similar problems with playlists. For the record, I can queue songs up and that works fine (but obviously isn't practical for thousands of songs).

Is this likely to be a system issue, such as lack of memory? I find it curious that Eden seemed fine with all of this. There wasn't even a delay starting to play a genre of 5000 songs. Perhaps the playback system has changed in Frodo that places more demands on memory, or could I adjust an audio playback setting to alieviate the problem?
What hardware are you using?

The same happens to me on the ATV2. What happens when you click on the Artists item. does It take multiple seconds to load the list?
I have an AMD-based PC with Windows 7 x64.

I can't remember how long artists takes to load. I don't think it's too bad, but songs takes an age to load.

Just to make it clear, my problem is not about loading the list to view it, but pressing play on the item to play back the entire list.
Yes I got it..I have slowness when loading lists and when pressing play on different Genre's
Ah okay, sorry. I have just thought of a couple of ideas actually. I'll let you know if they work.
Any finding ? Tongue
Same here, queuing songs in general is a lot slower in Frodo than Eden. Even when I attempt just one album it's not near as fast as it used to be. I'm using Ubuntu 12.10, music is on a local drive to my xbmc system.
i don't know how it was before frodo, since this is the first version i installed, but im also experiencing this issue...
i can't play a whole genre. i once waited half an hour and xbmc just hangs.

any news regarding this?
I have not managed to get that to work, unfortunately. I have got around it by selecting "name of genre", all artists, all albums. This brings up a list of all the songs in that genre. I can then play one of the songs, and then turn on shuffle. It's a bit of a pain, but you get used to it.

I'd still like to be able to press play on a genre though, so I could play one genre and queue up another to get a mixed playlist. At the moment, this is not possible.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
playing back large number of music tracks0