Wrong aspect ratio icon being displayed on movie info screen after playing file.
No matter what I put in my NFO file as the aspect ratio, XBMC is using the aspect ratio of the encoded file [1920x1080], but my files are blu ray back ups and they have the black bars encoded into the file so XBMC reports the aspect ratio of 16:9 icon on the information screen for all of my movies after I play the file.

People suggested two ways how to fix this:

1. The long way: re-encode all your movies so that the black bars are actually stripped out of the file which I am not going to do.

2. Short way: Can't fix XBMC so mod the skin!
His solution to this was to include the aspect ratio in the folder name of the movie. Example: Batman Begins [2005] [2.40]
Then he went and modded the skin [Confluence] to grab the aspect ratio based on the information in the folder/file name.
and he says it works perfectly.

My question is how do you do this with Aeon nox skin? Also is their a way to tell XBMC to just use the aspect ratio in the info and not to change it after playing the file?

Please help this is only thing not working correctly and it is driving me nuts.
What do you put in your NFO file ? I suspect you are using it wrong.
The info file works the aspect ratio is displayed correct in xbmc but after i play the file in xbmc it changes the aspect ratio to 16.9 because it is using the information it gathers from the media file not the info file. I can remove the movie from the library and then add it back again then it displays the correct aspect ratio but after i play it xbmc it changes the aspect ratio back to 16:9. How do i stop it from doing this?

Suppose you complete a straight rip to mkv and do no re-encoding, assuming it's a blu-ray rip, the image is stored in the file @ 1920x1080 no matter what the actual movie aspect ratio is. Let's say it's a 2.35:1 movie. Obviously there would be black bars @ the top and bottom. These are actually encoded into the file.
So, you go into your NFO file and state that the film is actually 2.35:1. You scan it into XBMC and then head over to see if XBMC is reporting the correct AR. And it is. Then you watch part of the movie and quit. Upon re-checking, XBMC now reports an incorrect ratio, correct?
The reason is, when you first scan the movie into XBMC, it simply reads the NFO file for the AR and that is what it puts into the database. But once you playback the movie, XBMC re-scans and reports that the AR is not what you entered into your NFO file. It reports it as 1920x1080 or 16x9 [probably the latter] just as MediaInfo would. So XBMC attempts to write this 'correct' AR to the database. That's where it gets all weird, correct?

In short, it doesn't matter what you put in your NFO file as the AR, XBMC is going to try to use the AR of the encoded file [1920x1080].

Two ways to fix this behavior:
1. The long way: re-encode all your movies so that the black bars are actually stripped out of the file [I don't recommend this].
My solution to this was to include the AR in the folder name of the movie [however, my mod works with adding the AR to the filename as well]. Example: Batman Begins [2005] [2.40]
Then I went and modded the skin [Confluence] to grab the AR based on the information in the folder/file name.
And it works perfectly.

This drove me nuts as well...............

This is driving me nuts as well how do you do what he is suggesting with aeon noxHuh
(2013-03-07, 10:24)xbmcNewGirl Wrote: No matter what I put in my NFO file as the aspect ratio, XBMC is using the aspect ratio of the encoded file [1920x1080], but my files are blu ray back ups and they have the black bars encoded into the file so XBMC reports the aspect ratio of 16:9 icon on the information screen for all of my movies after I play the file.

People suggested two ways how to fix this:

1. The long way: re-encode all your movies so that the black bars are actually stripped out of the file which I am not going to do.

His solution to this was to include the aspect ratio in the folder name of the movie. Example: Batman Begins [2005] [2.40]
Then he went and modded the skin [Confluence] to grab the aspect ratio based on the information in the folder/file name.

My question is how do you do this with Aeon nox skin? Also is their a way to tell XBMC to just use the aspect ratio in the info and not to change it after playing the file?

Please help this is only thing not working correctly and it is driving me nuts.

I don't believe this is an Aeon Nox specific issue because it seems to behave in this manner with all skins from my experience. It also does it with DTSHD-MA 7.1 audio tracks by displaying 5.1 rather than what's in the NFO file when you bring up info during movie. It has been driving me nuts as well and haven't been able to figure out a fix, but it's definitely XBMC related.
Display: LG OLED77C9 | A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H | 2019 Nvidia Shield Tv Pro | Apple TV 4K | 2017 Roku Ultra | HTPC | Game PC | PS5 
Wow glad I wasted the better part of a day adding nfo files to all my backed up BluRay disks to display the correct aspect ratio. Angry

What is the point in having the field if it gets overwritten?
(2013-03-07, 10:24)xbmcNewGirl Wrote: No matter what I put in my NFO file as the aspect ratio, XBMC is using the aspect ratio of the encoded file [1920x1080], but my files are blu ray back ups and they have the black bars encoded into the file so XBMC reports the aspect ratio of 16:9 icon on the information screen for all of my movies after I play the file.

His solution to this was to include the aspect ratio in the folder name of the movie. Example: Batman Begins [2005][2.40]

Hey i know its a old thread but the same problem drives me nuts as well.
I´m using FHEM to read the output of Kodi during playback so it will automatically adjust my electronical multi format screen (Projector + Screen)
but sometimes,when i add a movie to my library, it recognizes some MKV files as in example as 16:9 2.40 instead of 1.85 and so the screen goes into the wrong mode. (a second screen rolls over the portion where the black bars are on top)
Thats how the readings (just a few lines not everything..just so you can see what i mean) during the playback look like in the FHEM Event Monitor :
2017-11-11 02:13:26 XBMC KODI sd_video0codec: h264
2017-11-11 02:13:26 XBMC KODI sd_video0height: 1040
2017-11-11 02:13:26 XBMC KODI sd_video0aspect: 2.35599994659424
2017-11-11 02:13:26 XBMC KODI sd_video0width: 1920

So how is this hack working that the Skin grabs the Aspect Ratio from the filename if renamed properly as you have stated for Example: Iron Man 3 [2013][1.85]
As you have stated changing the Aspect Ratio in the NFO file helps only for the first time playback. After that kodi takes the info from the mkv file.
In a few words : I need to change the readings for some of my files

Thanks in advance Smile
Okay, i figured out a workaround for me. So if someone finds this thread via Google or the Forums Search :
I´m using a Spaluto 4 Format Automatic Screen , Epson 7300 Projector, Logitech Harmony Elite + Hub , Raspberry Pi with FHEM, Nvidia Shield running Kodi 17.6 on Android.
Well i have setuped 4 different activities in the Harmony remote. Each has a different aspect ratio for the screen set. This is necessary because i cannot run the screens formats from the harmony on a single button. I have to integrate the action of the screens remote (Buttons 1-4 for each saved aspect ratio setting) into the activity. Kinda hard to explain in english but i hope you get the idea...sorry iam not a native english speaking person.
Its a DOIF command for FHEM.
define AR_FIX_2.35 DOIF ([harmony_38668867:power] eq "on" and [KODI:playStatus] eq "playing" and [KODI:currentMedia:]=~ /2\.35/ and [KODIConfusedd_video0duration] > "250") (set WZ_Hub activity 2.35)
The FHEM readings explained :

[harmony_38668867:power] eq "on"  -> Thats my Projector (38668867) in the Harmony Hub , which means trigger only if this device status is "on"
[KODI:playStatus] eq "playing" -> trigger  only if KODI is playing something
[KODI:currentMedia:]=~ /2\.35/ ->  so this line reads from the currentMedia (in example filename is Iron.Man.3.Bluray.1080p.DTSHD.2.35.mkv) and triggers only if 2.35 is in that filename
[KODIConfusedd_video0duration] > "250" -> runtime has to be greater then 250 seconds...this will prevent the screen to adjust the screenformat during short clips (i.e. trailers)
(set WZ_Hub activity 2.35) -> this is the command that will be run on my Harmony Hub ONLY if those attributes matches   

So lets say Kodi puts into the Output (reading) a Aspect Ratio of 1.777778 for a 16:9 Widescreen movie but its wrong and doesnt match what you have on your screen, you can fix that by renaming the filename and add the Aspect Ratio into the filename.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wrong aspect ratio icon being displayed on movie info screen after playing file.0