Optical sound problems in xbmc 12
Hello,

I have ubuntu 12.04 with xbmc 12: Frodo installed, before I had version 11 but updated in days, and with the update came the problem

So I had to take and install an empty install xbmc 12 and first got started regular stereo sound but no surround sound, but after a little work, so even came surroundet started. The following settings in XBMC:

Audio output: Optical / Coaxial
Speaker Configuration 2.0
Increase the volume on downmix YES
Stereo to all speakers NO
Dolby Digital (AC3)-capable amplifier YES
DTS capable amplifier YES
AAC-capable amplifier NO

Audio Output Device: HDA Nvidia AD198X Digital S / PDIF
Audio unit throughput: HDA Nvidia AD198X Digital S / PDIF

Am using optical audio

But my problem was not bortna, when I checked on the example a movie in xbmc and choose to check one directly after the sound disappears, something is in the background, and interferes with the resume. Anyone can have an idea?

I can mention that both surround and stereo sound works great in VLC, but not in XBMC

Hope you understand my problem and maybe even help me

Thanks in advance
I'm not exactly sure what your problem is but try all of these:

1. If you want surround sound you have to set Speaker Configuration to 5.1.

2. Make sure no other programs that could be using audio (e.g. VLC) are running in the background when you start XBMC.

3. Enable debug logging, restart XBMC, play a movie where sound misbehaves then post your xbmc.log to xbmclogs.com and post the link here.
(2013-03-10, 15:32)negge Wrote: I'm not exactly sure what your problem is but try all of these:

1. If you want surround sound you have to set Speaker Configuration to 5.1.

2. Make sure no other programs that could be using audio (e.g. VLC) are running in the background when you start XBMC.

3. Enable debug logging, restart XBMC, play a movie where sound misbehaves then post your xbmc.log to xbmclogs.com and post the link here.

1. speaker configuration is set to 5.1, the reason why it was 2.0 was to then work out nothing at first, but when I put 2.0 it worked surround sound once but not stereo sound, but when I changed did not surround sound, only stereo sound.

2. I rebooted the computer to be sure of this, but it did not help much.

3. I put on debugging log and restarted xbmc and here is the link to the file http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=3448
What hardware are you using?
(2013-03-10, 20:47)negge Wrote: What hardware are you using?

I use amd athlon 64x2 and the motherboard called ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe and ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO GPU
Could you please clarify the actual problem once more? At first you said you got no surround sound, then you said you got it working, then you said surround worked for a moment even though your audio settings were set to 2.0 (which is not possible), then you said you changed them again and nothing worked. So what exactly works and what doesn't, and with what settings is that?
(2013-03-10, 23:31)negge Wrote: Could you please clarify the actual problem once more? At first you said you got no surround sound, then you said you got it working, then you said surround worked for a moment even though your audio settings were set to 2.0 (which is not possible), then you said you changed them again and nothing worked. So what exactly works and what doesn't, and with what settings is that?

According to the settings I sent in my first post, the surround sound working fine, sound from all speakers and the talking out of the center, is that right? Although, the stereo sound was working as well, but sometimes (most often) when I start XBMC the sound is missing, both surround and stereo. Sometimes the surround sound is working but the stereo is not and sometimes it is the opposite. It feels like a lottery.

Then I did a reboot of the entire system (XBMC and ubuntu). Started XBMC but no sound still. Fixed to 5.1 according to your post and then it´s worked with a movie that I tried, but not the stereo sound, restarted the system again and started XBMC and hit at Debug Log and then send it to you, but after that did not sound worked when I tried either movie or series.

So something is funny because it only works once when I change any setting, not the setting you want, but it may be that the sound of a previous test remains and interferes with the other?

Hope you understand my problem a bit more now, briefly described as working no sound at all as soon as it comes into the XBMC, but all sound works outside.

I hope you undertand my english because it is not to good...
I got the sound to work quite well, but it occasionally happens that the sound stops working on both stereo and surround sound, the light on the receiver that indicates the encoding of sound wich is used still remains after playback, so it feels like the audio channel to be idle without the remains afterwards and therefore does not sound when a new playback is started.

Could the fault lie in ALSA even though it works outside of XBMC?

My settings now looks like this, and there were those who did:

audio output: optical / coax
speaker config: 5.1
boost volume on downmix: true
Dolby Digital (AC3): true
DTS CapAble: true
AAC: false

audio output device: Default (HDA NVidia, AD198x Analog)
Passthrough output device: HDA NVidia, AD198x Digital S / PDIF

Then I had problems with video playback buffers well into sections, but I have dark that it only makes the hdd located via usb. so it is no longer a problem.

Hope someone can find a solution to my problem, that would be wonderful, I miss my 100% functional media center
My english is not to good, but I hope you will understand anyway.
I have the same problem, I think. From what I can tell, AAC to AC3 transcoding is broken apparently.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=153039
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=149369

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Optical sound problems in xbmc 120