Dead silent HTPC i3-3225
I'm too waiting for haswell cpu and a square case Big Grin

http://www.hd-plex.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841
(2013-04-02, 08:51)Roby77 Wrote: I'm too waiting for haswell cpu and a square case Big Grin

http://www.hd-plex.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841

Thanks for the info Roby. That's great news !!!
This thread is great Big Grin been extremely helpful.

I've ben able to get my hands on an old Dell Precision 390 machine from work that I'm currently using as a HTPC, but it's huge and butt-ugly, so I'm looking to recycle the bits for a new HTPC. I'll be looking to use the same motherboard as above, but would an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 2.13GHz work on this board?

I'm hoping to keep the cost to a minimum, so I'll be using the HDD and RAM from this machine and possibly the DVD ROM drive until I can get a BD-ROM to fit in it.

Any help would be great :-)
Living Room | Openelec | ASRock H77 Pro4-M MoBo | 8GB DDR RAM | Intel i5 Processor | Arctic
Man Room | Windows 7 x64 | ASRock H77 Pro4-M MoBo | 8GB DDR RAM | Intel i5 Processor | Arctic
Roaming | iPad 2 | Re-Touched Skin
Storage | WD MyCloud 3TB
(2013-04-03, 14:03)liquidtoon Wrote: would an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 2.13GHz work on this board?

Unfortunately the answer is no. Your CPU (I guess it's E6420) it is socket 775.
The Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI has a 1155 socket (see CPU support list)

Do you want a mini itx motherboard in a smaller case ?
yeah, exactly that. I want it to look like a proper media centre instead of a PC. I'll have a read of the CPU Support list.
Living Room | Openelec | ASRock H77 Pro4-M MoBo | 8GB DDR RAM | Intel i5 Processor | Arctic
Man Room | Windows 7 x64 | ASRock H77 Pro4-M MoBo | 8GB DDR RAM | Intel i5 Processor | Arctic
Storage | WD MyCloud 3TB
Would a Intel Pentium G645 Dual Core Processor be powerful enough to run XBMC smoothly with 1080p playback? I know I'm looking at the cheaper side of things but just looking at options...
Storage | WD MyCloud 3TB
(2013-04-03, 15:36)liquidtoon Wrote: Would a Intel Pentium G645 Dual Core Processor be powerful enough to run XBMC smoothly with 1080p playback? I know I'm looking at the cheaper side of things but just looking at options...

In this case, I would recommend Intel Pentium G2020 Ivy Bridge 2.9GHz LGA 1155 55W .
Thanks! Shall check it out
Storage | WD MyCloud 3TB
I received everything but the case, so still waiting to build... HDplex say they ship from Germany to Europe via DHL, but they don't mention that when you place an order the product is shipped first from the US to Germany (possibly by ship, because it's taking forever).

So well, anyone waiting to build this setup, don't order all the components at the same time -- wait until you get the case before ordering everything else, and expect to wait at least 2 weeks for the case if you are in Europe.
(2013-04-11, 08:11)cfsdev Wrote: I received everything but the case, so still waiting to build... HDplex say they ship from Germany to Europe via DHL, but they don't mention that when you place an order the product is shipped first from the US to Germany (possibly by ship, because it's taking forever).

So well, anyone waiting to build this setup, don't order all the components at the same time -- wait until you get the case before ordering everything else, and expect to wait at least 2 weeks for the case if you are in Europe.

I waited 3 - 4 weeks, but it was a pre-order. You are right, if it's in stock - more or less 2 weeks for Europe.
Anyways, a big german re-seller (for fanless chasis) does not even ship to some eastern european countries, so I was happy when I saw Hdplex is shipping to my country.
Really impressed with your setup, had a few questions.

I have the same motherboard in my setup, different case, can you elaborate on how the power on / power off works ? I'm a bit confused since this motherboard does not have a CIR header, and you are connecting to the USB header. I'd like like to try and get this working with my setup, I'm using a Silverstone ML30 case (http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.ph...83&area=en), most everything else is similar. I'm using Roomie Remote on an Ipad 2 with the GlobalCache IP2IR (http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/ip2irspecs/).

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

(2013-03-29, 12:59)ZetBv Wrote: Yes, it does - see in the first post "IR Receiver"
(2013-04-11, 22:31)jsbear Wrote: I have the same motherboard in my setup, different case, can you elaborate on how the power on / power off works ? I'm a bit confused since this motherboard does not have a CIR header, and you are connecting to the USB header.

Yes, the motherboard does not come with a CIR header, but together with the case and the psu I bought the Hdplex internal IR PCB:

The IR PCB is connected to: motherboard's internal usb 2.0, PSU and to the power switch.
See internal IR manual
(2013-04-11, 23:54)ZetBv Wrote: Yes, the motherboard does not come with a CIR header, but together with the case and the psu I bought the Hdplex internal IR PCB:

The IR PCB is connected to: motherboard's internal usb 2.0, PSU and to the power switch.
See internal IR manual

The manual pictures are different to what I received. In particular, the manual shows a picture of a standard USB connection to plug to the motherboard, but mine comes with a 5 pin connection (in one row, not two). How should it be connected?

Also - did you need to buy screws from the hardware store? The IR receiver in particular needs to be screwed to the case with a M3x6 that didn't come in the box.
(2013-04-16, 00:05)cfsdev Wrote: The manual pictures are different to what I received. In particular, the manual shows a picture of a standard USB connection to plug to the motherboard, but mine comes with a 5 pin connection (in one row, not two). How should it be connected?

Also - did you need to buy screws from the hardware store? The IR receiver in particular needs to be screwed to the case with a M3x6 that didn't come in the box.

One row it's ok. On the motherboard you have 2 rows (5 pin and 4 pin) - for 2 x USB 2.0. Just use the 5 pin row (as far as I remember the IR usb connector has only 4 wires, so it should be ok also in 4 pin row ) .

I did not need to buy any screw, actually I had many extra. When I got my case, the IR PCB was already installed.
Check all the small bags, maybe you'll find one that fits.
(2013-04-11, 08:11)cfsdev Wrote: I received everything but the case, so still waiting to build... HDplex say they ship from Germany to Europe via DHL, but they don't mention that when you place an order the product is shipped first from the US to Germany (possibly by ship, because it's taking forever).

Currently, all EU orders are shipped from US to Hamburg Via FedEx Express. The reason is I have to personally inspect every case before packaging them to make sure the quality is good.

Start from next batch of H5 series, the logistics side will improve a lot. The product if in stock will be shipped directly from Hamburg which means EU customers will get the DHL tracking within 48 hours unlike current one week delay.

The H1 series will support 100 x 100 mm VESA mount.

The latest IR PCB USB plug is single five PIN port replacing the original 10PIN port. This is to save one port for the ODD eject wire which also rely on USB. The manul is a little bit outdated. Please refer to online manual for high resolution picture for USB connection.

You could use M3x4 motherboard screw to attach the IR PCB to the faceplate. Usually IR is pre-installed. I apologize this is not the case.
Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dead silent HTPC i3-32251
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.