Netflix HTML5
So according to Engadget Netflix is running in an HTML5 player on the Chromebook. What possibilities does this suggest for a new, more streamlined implementation in XBMC, if any?
reading through the comments i came across this comment.

Quote:holmesmich 2 hours ago
It's not actually HTML5, it's a Native Client plugin that's only bundled with the official Chrome OS, like how Flash is bundled with desktop Chrome but not Chromium.

If that is the case, then i think it might not be very useful.
More poor quality "reporting" by Engadget.
yeah i like engadget a lot but i would think they would want to take some time and make certain all their facts
are correct before they publish them to the ole interweb.
I can't imagine more people would use Chrome OS than Linux for Netflix playback. I don't understand why they would put development effort there before Linux.
It's happening! For real this time.
(2013-04-16, 14:05)Headcase_Fargon Wrote: It's happening! For real this time.

I saw that as well! Very good news.

Should finally be able to used Netflix on my XBMCBuntu build.
Sorry, but still no. They're still using a proprietary plugin, just not Silverlight.

Unless Netflix decides to compile their CDM for RPi, Android, iOS, OSX, and Linux, don't count on this being in XBMC any time soon
(2013-04-16, 17:29)Bstrdsmkr Wrote: Sorry, but still no. They're still using a proprietary plugin, just not Silverlight.

Unless Netflix decides to compile their CDM for RPi, Android, iOS, OSX, and Linux, don't count on this being in XBMC any time soon

If our linux chrome/firefox/etc browser supports html5 and netflix. Why couldn't you view it in xbmcbuntu? Thats how xbmcflix works in windows with IE.
Well, yes, it could be launched in the browser, but you can do that now with WINE and Firefox. I wouldn't expect much of a performance gain with this =(
(2013-04-16, 17:29)Bstrdsmkr Wrote: Sorry, but still no. They're still using a proprietary plugin, just not Silverlight.

I bet you're a blast at parties. :-(
Heh, yeah that happens lol. I'd love to see them do something sensible that'll let them expand to XBMC, but I don't think they've reached that level of enlightenment yet
Netflix actually is on HTML5 for real this time, no plugins.

http://techblog.netflix.com/2013/06/html...ws-81.html

The catch is that they extended what HTML5 means to do it, with several new extensions. But at least this is possible on Linux, they aren't proprietary. These extensions are approved by the W3C.
yeah, i'll believe that when i can open my Linux Mint machine -> open Chrome -> go to netflix and watch a movie.

so.... no, still not really.
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
Hmmm I can (firefox).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Netflix HTML50