Win [RELEASE] Python based Now-Playing script for XBMC 12 "Frodo" [Please move to tools]
(To Moderators: This looks more like a Supplementary Tool, please move it for me!)

Since the only Now playing script I found was not working anymore, I decided to make my own.
The result was a fully customizable NowPlaying Program for Windows XP and Higher, built with Python 2.7. Which supports UTF-8 for Japanese and other non ASCII Languages, different formats for Movie/TV Show/Song and runs as pseudo-service on Windows.

Supported Programs: mIRC and generally every other program that can read a simple text file.

Current Version: 1.2 (29.03.2013)
(Change notes:- Couple bug fixes)

Thanks to ezechiel1917 for bug reporting.

Download: XBMC_NowPlaying1_2.rar

Tutorial on how to: http://moreit.eu/category/xbmc-2/

Also check out my HTML Generator: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=160863

If you find any bug, please post them here and I will fix them asap. (Don't forget posting the error output of python,to debug the script
use the command argument: "debug" for example: ">xbmc_now_playing.py debug")
Author of the old script here. Thanks for doing this, works nicely!
Thank you! I'll try it out later.
Hi DeadSix27,
it seems when xbmc is playing non library media (like pvr channel or media file not added to library) python process quits. when i execute "xbmc_now_playing_arc.py start" in such a case only .pid is created and nowplaying.txt is not even created.

Code:
File "C:\Python27\Scripts\xbmc_now_playing.py", line 318, in <module>
    np = XBMCnowPlaying()
  File "C:\Python27\Scripts\xbmc_now_playing.py", line 87, in __init__
    self.writeStringToFile()
  File "C:\Python27\Scripts\xbmc_now_playing.py", line 164, in writeStringToFile

nowPlayingString = self.getNowPlayingString()
  File "C:\Python27\Scripts\xbmc_now_playing.py", line 277, in getNowPlayingStri
ng
    audioChannels = jsonData['result']['item']['streamdetails']['audio'][0]['cha
nnels']
IndexError: list index out of range
I will fix that asap, sorry was a bit busy the last days.

As I have no PVR at home, I cant test that myself.
But I will try to create a working mode for PVR and non Libary files later.
Version: 1.2 Uploaded. See first post for information.
(2013-03-29, 02:50)DeadSix27 Wrote: Version: 1.2 Uploaded. See first post for information.

Thank you, non library files works ok now, when I play Live TV channel txt file is being updated with some strings, but when I stop playing that channel python process quits.
(2013-03-29, 23:04)ezechiel1917 Wrote: Thank you, non library files works ok now, when I play Live TV channel txt file is being updated with some strings, but when I stop playing that channel python process quits.

Well I don't know how PVR works, I dont even know what that is, it's probably a TV Tuner feature right? I don't have such in my computer.

Can you post the stuff which gets written to channel.txt, as I do not know that file, is that your now playing txt file and you just changed the name in config? or what is that?
Yes, it's a tv tuner feature, xbmc acts as frontend client for receiving streams from backend pvr server(s).
I think pvr channel provides limited information through JSON (would be nice to find out list of infolabels available) compared to standard library or non-library media and maybe that is a cause of python crash when you stop watching live tv channel.

This is nowPlaying.txt sample when I stopped playing Live channel:

Code:
npShow: N/A - Nová noční můra (Season: N/A,Episode: N/A) [N/A-N/A (N/A)|N/A-N/A-N/A Channels]
could you post 2 json outputs for me?
Start PVR thingy and open a random channel and request this page:
Code:
http://yourhost:yourport/jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.GetActivePlayers​","id":1}
Hi,

here are some outputs from few json requests, I've marked bold useful information

active player query
Code:
jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.GetActivePlayers​","id":1}
{"id":1,"jsonrpc":"2.0","result":[{"playerid":1,"type":"video"}]}

episode query
Code:
jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.GetItem","params":{"playerid":1,"properties":["title","season","episode","firstaired"]},"id":"1"}
{"id":"1","jsonrpc":"2.0","result":{"item":{"filetype":"file","firstaired":"1970-01-01","id":1,"label":"CT1 HD","title":"Události","type":"channel"}}}
-> channel number | channel name | event title | type

movie query
Code:
jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.GetItem","params":{"playerid":1,"properties":["title","year","director","genre","rating","votes"]},"id":"1"}
{"id":"1","jsonrpc":"2.0","result":{"item":{"filetype":"file","genre":["Other/Unknown"],"id":1,"label":"CT1 HD","rating":0,"title":"Události","type":"channel"}}}
-> genre | channel number | channel name | event title | type

current time/total time query
Code:
jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.GetProperties","params":{"playerid":1,"properties":["time","totaltime"]},"id":"1"}
{"id":"1","jsonrpc":"2.0","result":{"time":{"hours":0,"milliseconds":0,"minutes":21,"seconds":17},"totaltime":{"hours":0,"milliseconds":0,"minutes":45,"seconds":0}}}
-> current time | total time
(2013-03-31, 19:32)ezechiel1917 Wrote: Hi,

here are some outputs from few json requests, I've marked bold useful information

active player query
Code:
jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.GetActivePlayers​","id":1}
{"id":1,"jsonrpc":"2.0","result":[{"playerid":1,"type":"video"}]}

episode query
Code:
jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.GetItem","params":{"playerid":1,"properties":["title","season","episode","firstaired"]},"id":"1"}
{"id":"1","jsonrpc":"2.0","result":{"item":{"filetype":"file","firstaired":"1970-01-01","id":1,"label":"CT1 HD","title":"Události","type":"channel"}}}
-> channel number | channel name | event title | type

movie query
Code:
jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.GetItem","params":{"playerid":1,"properties":["title","year","director","genre","rating","votes"]},"id":"1"}
{"id":"1","jsonrpc":"2.0","result":{"item":{"filetype":"file","genre":["Other/Unknown"],"id":1,"label":"CT1 HD","rating":0,"title":"Události","type":"channel"}}}
-> genre | channel number | channel name | event title | type

current time/total time query
Code:
jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.GetProperties","params":{"playerid":1,"properties":["time","totaltime"]},"id":"1"}
{"id":"1","jsonrpc":"2.0","result":{"time":{"hours":0,"milliseconds":0,"minutes":21,"seconds":17},"totaltime":{"hours":0,"milliseconds":0,"minutes":45,"seconds":0}}}
-> current time | total time
I will look into it later and sorry for the late reply, i really have to enable subscriptions to my threads :| I pay the most attention to my other big thread
Is this script working for Kodi? Link is dead, does anyone have the rar file? thanks
Link is dead, yes, sorry, if there is a New script out now, use that, otherwise I MAYBE come back to this and re-create the entire thing more modern, but since I also stopped working on my other project the chance is low, since I actually do not use Kodi anymore at all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Python based Now-Playing script for XBMC 12 "Frodo" [Please move to tools]1