• 2(current)
Ability to share and synchronize XBMC userdata profiles between multiple machines
sorry, it was my understanding that each instance of xbmc stores its databases inside the xbmc/user data folder.
how do i tell xbmc to look for the user data folder on a samba share? i can't see any reference to it in xboxmediacenter.xml
could edit source... mainly settings.cpp but in the whole of the code there are 115 references scattered for the userdata.

of course if you edited the source code and did a compile and then installed that xbe on 2 xboxes they would both access the same userdata folder.. in fact they would mirror settings and the like for the lot.

seems much easier just to create a script to sync them periodically...
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
hi all

i was wondering is there a way to have a centralized database of thumbnails or a way to updated the thumbnails database etc.

i have 4 xboxes at home all looking at the same server. is it possible to have all the xboxes gather or synchronise the data between themselves. or to have an option to upload databases to other xboxes transparently.

even if one xbox has to be set as master.

but preferably having a network share that all the xboxes point to. but to also have them cached to the local hdd in the event the server is down.

i hope this makes sense.

thanks
i am guessing you use xbmc itself to acquire your thumbs? with so many boxes, it is a better idea to put the thumbs in with the media.
http://www.xbmc.xbox-scene.com/wiki/inde...thumbnails
this is how i do it and it's very nice & easy once you get through the initial annoyance of having to go get icons and rename them as needed.
Catchy Signature Here
hi.

thanks for that. it looks like it will work, however it isn't very transparent and can be a little difficult to impliment.

but thats the basic idea i would like to do.

thanks
hi

i have the very same issue and have made a simple suggestion earlier this week :

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....t=21653

a.
Information 
I currently have 2 xboxes that run nothing but XBMC, but I would like to make it 4. The reason I don't is that it's a pain to keep even the two machines synched as far as the movie and music databases and thumbs. I would be sweet if there were a way to only have to add say a movie with a custom thumb to one machine and have the rest auto update when powered up or something. I don't know anything about coding or the limitations of XBMC and the Xbox platform, but I was thinking something along one of these lines:

1. Remote storage and reading/caching of necessary files (db and thumbs).
2. Some code that copies the files from/to a server at startup/shutdown.
3. Remote access of the GUI to manually save on each machine like normally would be done on any single machine.

There's probably a reason why each one isn't already implimented, but I figured I'd ask since it would seem to be mega-useful to anyone with multiple Xboxes connected to a media server and I've never see it requested.
Hi,

I have multiple Xbox's in my house. And i share all my movie & music out on one server.

Unfortunately I have to add all the Media Info for each xbox.

It would be great if there was a way to "proliferate" this information to all the xbox's.

Even cooler if you could have a "Master XBOX" and see all the profiles and select what movies go to which profiles. All profiles being seen on all xbox's so anyone can log into any xbox and see thier items.
...or have a common database on the server/NAS
There would need to be some kind of subversion client to handle revision changes. Otherwise when two xboxes get the same db you'll only see modifications made by one.
Rainbow 
I've been thinking about this kind of setup for a while now. I'll likely be trying to set one up in a week or so. (by the way has anyone any advice for a cheap adapter that will allow xboxes to join a wireless network?)

Webserver/or FTP you could even send and recieve it over samba (I think. XBMC has the client but not the server. However I assume your media server is running it so it sounds possible).

Maybe it would be a good idea to do a checksumon the local Userdata (and save it to some file along with the date and time the checksum was done which will be sent over to the server with it) and compare it to the one on the latest remote database (done when it was sent over) to prevent syncing the database when the xbox is uptodate.

Actually I think this is a function we would do well to look at integrating with Official XBMC release rather than simply being a python script.

Similarly with TV links and XOT. Wink
The problem with synching is the Watched / Unwatched tag. But this is also a problem with profiles. i think the watched unwatched should be in the profile. Then the movie data & profile db's be synced with no problem. And all users can watch the movies on any tv.
what we would need to do instead of synching multiple xboxs is have a global database on the PC that all xboxs use, like a mysql server (or any other format) on the pc.

but maybe that's not possible to do for the devs, i have no idea! Smile
Hardware: Revo 3610 + SSD - Harmony 700 Remote
Software: XBMCBuntu Gotham - Sickbeard - SabNZBd+

Please look here
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ability to share and synchronize XBMC userdata profiles between multiple machines2