Creating mutually exclusive smart playlists from a master smart playlist
Question 
Hello, I am trying to create disjointed smart playlists from a master smart playlist. I have been unsuccessful so far. Below is what I am doing.
master: 1) Path is /..../.../Movies/
p0: Rules 1) Playlist is master 2) Limit to 25
p1: Rules 1) Playlist is master 2) Playlist is not p0 3) Limit to 25
p2: Rules 1) Playlist is master 2) Playlist is not p0 3) playlist is not p1 4) Limit to 25
and so on.
Unfortunately, p1 and p2 are always empty. Ideally p0,p1,p2 should be disjointed subsets of master. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks
I'm not sure I understand. What differentiates p0 from p1 from p2? In other words, are the differences based on genre, artist, date, etc.?
Thanks artafael. You mean the Order by field? Let's assume I set it to Title (I have actually tried this in XBMC). So the master playlist is a sorted alphabetical list of N+1 movies. Label the sorted elements as 0,1,2,3,...N. I want p0 to contain elements [0,24], p1 contains elements [25,49], p2 contains elements [50,74]. The point here is p0,p1,p2,.... contain no common elements. So far I can create p0 but I can't create p1,p2, etc.. They always show up empty when I use the prescription described in my previous post. I hope that makes it clearer.
Consider that if you leave out the "not" rules in p1 and p2, then all three playlists will display the exact same 25 items. However, when you add the rule in p1 that its result must not include what's in p0 then you're left with nothing. Likewise with p2.

p0 = [0,24]
p1 = [0,24] - p0 = null
p2 = [0,24] - p0 - p1 = null

You need something like movies whose titles begin with p0=A-I, p1=J-R, p2=Q-Z. Movies whose genre is p0=Action, p1=Comedy, p2=Drama. Movies whose release year is p0=1901-1940, p1=1941-1980, p2=1981-2013. Movies whose file path begins with p0=C:\My Movies\Disc 1, p2=C:\My Movies\Disc 2, p3=E:\Her Movies\Disc A.
Limits only apply to the final playlist, so that's what is screwing up (p1 says anything in master not in p0, but p0 is not limited here, so is everything in master).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2013-03-22, 05:38)jmarshall Wrote: Limits only apply to the final playlist, so that's what is screwing up (p1 says anything in master not in p0, but p0 is not limited here, so is everything in master).

Ah, OK, so more like:
p0 = [0,24]
p1 ≠ [0,N]
p2 ≠ [0,N] and ≠ [0,N]
Ah thanks jmarshall and artafel (apologies for the delayed response). Now I understand why p1,p2 are NULL. So what's the workaround as we are back to square one? Right now, I can only think of applying the option Order by: Random to each p0,p1,p2 and hope they contain no common elements.
I guess the question is why you need to split up your music collection into three playlists.
Ah, you mean my video collection. The main reason is pseudotv. I want to design channels derived from the master playlist while ensuring that the channels don't contain any items in common. Currently I use the Random limiting option but sometimes there are same movies playing on the two different channels.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Creating mutually exclusive smart playlists from a master smart playlist0