Sending XBMC audio to a DLNA renderer ??? (In Linux)
(2013-03-23, 01:17)nickr Wrote: DLNA would obviously involve less wiring, but I wonder if the network latency would make the audio out of sync with the video, even assuming we can get the audio streaming to dlna working?
Correct me if I am wrong, but the XBMC player has an audio latency adjustment on it for just such eventualities. I know that some other Linux players do.

Quote:I have never seen the point in wiring like that given my reliance on media PCs in each room, but I know it is common.
Prior to recent advancements in sending digital media over a network, how else are you going to send the same source material to multiple zones ? Lets say you want to play "Jingle Bells" at your Christmas party on the kitchen speakers (zone 1), dining room speakers (zone 2) and great room speakers (zone 3), at the same time. Its easy when they are all wired to the same location.

And it makes way more sense to send line level signal rather than pre amp level signals for reasons already mentioned.

I'd say that more than 50% of new houses are wired for sound in multiple zones and almost all of them are wired to a common location, ie to use whole house amplifiers.

Quote:Perhpas this helps? https://live.gnome.org/Rygel - there are rygel plugins for pulseaudio.

I'm in discussions on the mailing list with rygel people on this very topic.
(2013-03-22, 04:52)Ned Scott Wrote: Try a nightly build (wiki) of XBMC. In Settings -> Services -> UPnP -> enable "look for remote UPnP players"

Select the file you want to play, right click or bring up the contextual menu (C on a keyboard) and select "play using" and see if it finds your DLNA renderer. With luck, it should. It's a feature currently in development.

Hi, is this available for android too? I've downloaded 3 diferents night builds, i enable the "look for remote UPnP player", then i go to the video library, long press a video, but no "play using" option. My idea is mount smb resources in XBMC in my android, from a really simple nas, and play it to my Samsung TV non-smart but with dlna wired option.
Another question, may i use "look for remote UPnP players" option to play videos from an internet video plugin to my TV?
XBMC is the same on each platform.

But your best effort is to have your XBMC machine plugged into your TV via HDMI.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-07-25, 12:47)nickr Wrote: XBMC is the same on each platform.

But your best effort is to have your XBMC machine plugged into your TV via HDMI.

There is no way to plugg a XBMC machine to TV (on my home system), but i have a powerfull android mobile and the best option is what I asked. Why my TV is not displayed on contextual play menu? not compatible? maybe the phone can't see the tv?
Does your tv do upnp? Is it's upnp turned on. Does it work using other upnp software?
XBMC's "Play with" might not be working well with non-XBMC-UPnP targets. This should improve with time.
(2013-03-23, 01:56)linuxguy Wrote:
(2013-03-23, 01:17)nickr Wrote: DLNA would obviously involve less wiring, but I wonder if the network latency would make the audio out of sync with the video, even assuming we can get the audio streaming to dlna working?
Correct me if I am wrong, but the XBMC player has an audio latency adjustment on it for just such eventualities. I know that some other Linux players do.

Quote:I have never seen the point in wiring like that given my reliance on media PCs in each room, but I know it is common.
Prior to recent advancements in sending digital media over a network, how else are you going to send the same source material to multiple zones ? Lets say you want to play "Jingle Bells" at your Christmas party on the kitchen speakers (zone 1), dining room speakers (zone 2) and great room speakers (zone 3), at the same time. Its easy when they are all wired to the same location.

And it makes way more sense to send line level signal rather than pre amp level signals for reasons already mentioned.

I'd say that more than 50% of new houses are wired for sound in multiple zones and almost all of them are wired to a common location, ie to use whole house amplifiers.

Quote:Perhpas this helps? https://live.gnome.org/Rygel - there are rygel plugins for pulseaudio.

I'm in discussions on the mailing list with rygel people on this very topic.

Hey linuxguy - have you managed to set this up? I'm asking since I'm now in same boat and would like to watch video on TV while listening to audio over my iPad (not to disturb anyone else in the house). I manage to do it on Windows, but am looking for a way to would be better + compatable with OpenELEC -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=190618
Howdie,

I would like to bump this thread.

Lately I bought a speaker that works as a DLNA renderer. That speaker can be grouped with other speakers to form one stereo speaker etc. Now it would be great if I could use those speakers to play the audio output of a video played on XBMC since these speakers are way better than the ones on the tv and I could save some money for not buying a audio system. But unfortunately this is currently not possible.

So I started experimenting with pulseaudio/rygel. I was able to set up that such that all audio of the machine where xbmc runs is published as DLNA source. But unfortunately that stream is only published in the LPCM format which cannot be played on the speakers since those only accept mp3 and wma. Further, by rendering the audio for example on my android phone I have to deal with 1 second audio offset which is probably caused by rygels subsystem which buffers audio for one second before sending it over. And this is exactly where kodi (xbmc) could glance.

Currently kodi (xbmc) can send video to a dlna renderer, but what about sending only the audio of a video to a dlna renderer? Are there currently any plans for adding that feature to kodi?

Cheers
pulseaudio-dlna https://github.com/masmu/pulseaudio-dlna has options to change the encoding and works pretty well.

For me, playing the video on Kodi and the audio on Yatse remote would be perfect.
Any decode/re-encode dance brings in more latency. This is due to cpu load and buffering and it cannot be worked around. Audio within pulseaudio is always PCA which cannot be played by the DLNA renderer and it must be encoded to a portable format like WAV, FLAC, mp3, ogg, ..

The only way to get this working properly is natively support DLNA renderers as loudspeakers. It would be enough to both stream the video to the dlna renderer and the video renderer (in synch with each other). That's because most DLNA renderers are already capable of rendering videos, even if they are only loudspeakers. Cool
Thumbs Up 
Hi all, I'm setting up a home audio, video distribution network and found it useful to read about how others are doing it here using DLNA.

I started off with some video/audio sources (Chromecast, PC) attached to an AV amp under the stairs which pumps the audio out to speakers in different rooms, but I'm stuck distributing the video, however, as the HDMI over CAT5e adapters I tested didn't work and solutions like HDBASET are really expensive and overkill for me.

Kodi, MythTV, and others are built to natively send/receive media over the network, however this is still a problem if you want to split the video and audio portions. I reckon it is a helluva lot easier to send the audio over the network rather than the HDMi video, and that's what I'm planning to play with going forwards. Needs good WAF though!!

I'm interested in finding out where @linuxguy and other folks got to, as it's been a couple of years since the previous comments.
I managed to get this working with pulseaudio / rygel. This would then publish a dlna stream like a radio on the host and I then let the dlna speakers play that "radio" stream. While this worked fine it had a lag of about two seconds. This lag can be compensated with A/V synch in kodi but is a manual process. That's how far I got it working. From my findings I further noticed that streaming video+audio to dlna speakers might be a valid option but for me this did not work for most videos. While dlna speakers can decode video they do not support all codecs or specific codecs when the encoding used some unsupported setting. So this still lungs for a better integration by splitting audio from video, eventually reencoding audio based on the dlna speaker capabilities and properly synchring audio and video. Ideally kodi even provides an option to choose the dlna speakers to stream to. For me this would be the full featureset.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sending XBMC audio to a DLNA renderer ??? (In Linux)1