Import mp3 tag ratings problem
Dear All
I've been a happy user for quite a while but not posted before, so firstly a massive thanks for all the effort you guys have put in to such an awesome and addictive project.

Normally I've been able to solve any problems by searching the boards, but I can't find this issue discussed elsewhere. When I upgraded to Frodo (now on version 12.1) I had to re-scan my libraries. On re-scanning my music it seems that the ratings I've set for music tracks using mp3tag are not being imported correctly. For instance,(bringing out my feminine side) I may have tagged Adele's Set Fire to the Rain with a 5, but when imported it's downgraded to a 4. The album info imports fine from my nfo file it's just the individual track rating that is wrong. I've deleted the library and re-imported and the same thing happens. It happens both on my ATV2 and my Windows 7 laptop and regardless of what skin I'm using.

Frodo may well have it's own taste monitor built in (I'll test later with some Richard Clayderman cds), but if not has anyone else experienced this and is there a known solution? Just for info this is important for me in creating playlists but obviously not the most Earth-shattering problem in history. I'm more bugged about the slideshow screensaver changes, but there's plenty of debate about that elsewhere!!

Thanks
The reason for this is that there's no standard whatsoever for the POPM tag or how to interpret it. What we have now is a little better (i.e. it's compatible with more other players/taggers than it was before) but that doesn't mean it hasn't changed for some other taggers.

If you find out what exactly mp3tag is setting in the POPM tag for the various ratings, we can compare with what XBMC uses and perhaps find some middle ground.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for such a swift response Jonathan,

Blimey Charlie I was totally unaware of this POPM issue and how messed up it is between different packages. Hopefully one day they'll agree a standard. Anyway, I wasn't able to find out the particular settings for mp3tag and to be honest it looked like opening a bit of a hornets' nest, so I used a work around. I'll detail this below in case anyone else has the similar problem, but the short reply is thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards, Paul

Workaround is:
1. Sort by rating in mp3tag and set an unused regular tag (i.e. other than rating) to that value. Eg I used disc number and set that to the rating value.
2. I downloaded and installed Winamp, assuming this would more than likely be consistent with XBMC. Sure enough on importing the library to Winanmp and adding a disc column it showed differences on rating 1 and 5, i.e. my disc setting with 1 would have no rating and my disc setting of 5 would show four stars. The 2, 3 and 4 ratings were correct. So there's obviously some skewing at the extremes.
3. Highlight all the disc number 1's in Winamp and correct the rating and same for the 5's.
4. Re-scan library into XBMC and everything is correct and the anally retentive like me are happy again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Import mp3 tag ratings problem0