Downgrading ATV2 (if having BLOBS) guide.
Hi,
if this is a double post, please dont mind it. I spent copple days messing with and I succesfully downgrade my AppleTV 2 from latest 5.2 to 4.3.1 firmware.

You will need SHSH Blobs for this. Dont worry, I didnt have them at all, but when I run iFaith-v1.5.5 it found all of them on their server, so you might get lucky.

0. Get this software: iFaith-v1.5.5, iREB-r7, Seas0nPass and tinyumbrella

1. Run iFaith-v1.5.5 and get all your blobs. Save them for future times.
2. Click Build *signed* IPSW w/ Blobs button. Browse the blob with version to what you want to downgrade (usually name like this: 000001DE311ABD8D_4.3~b1-8F5148c_cydia) . Then, just click Download it for me button. I tried downloading before myself, and I just was struggling with wrong fws. Leave the smart app to do it for you. Then create the custom IPSW. (It is savet on your desktop with names like: 000001DE311ABD8D_iFaith_Apple_TV_2-4.3_(8F202)_signed). Do the steps till the end, not that maters.
3. Open iREB-r7 and click "AppleTV 2" button and get into DFU mode. Exit the program.
4. Start tinyumbrella and start the TSS server. Remember to uncheck the Cydia option and close Skype from background. Leave it open till the last step!
5. Start iTunes and SHIFT+RESTORE, then browse the iFaith firmware from your desktop.
6. Cross your fingers and hope no errors to occurs. Sometimes usb ports might screw thing up. Don't use the one on the front of your PC case. Use the back or some good hub at least (I used my DELL monitor hub).
7. When that is done, start Seas0nPass, and right click on your Create IPSW and choose the fw you downgraded to. Leave the app to download what it needs, restore it in the iTunes and thats it.
8. You should have clean AppletTV 2 running 4.3.1

* If you cant get into DFU mode and get all the injectors successfully with Seas0nPass, just use the iREB-r7, I found that the best.
** Think of the procedure this way: Convert standard firmware to signed firmware with iFaith, lie the iTunes that you are connected to apple signing server with tinyumbrella TSS server, and that's it.

Hope you find this help full since I busted days trying to find the right way.

Best regards,
S@
Nice guide, thanks!
Nice guide, excellent!

Usually I can figure out the easily mixed up versions between apple tv software and IOS version.
But this time it was very difficult.
I used iFaith and fetched blobs for 5.0, 5.0r1, 5.0.2, 5.1 and 5.2.
I am guessing that this is apple tv software versions and if so I will not be able to downgrade to 4.4.4 which is what I want.

Or is this IOS versions?
(2013-03-23, 10:55)miappa Wrote: Nice guide, excellent!

Usually I can figure out the easily mixed up versions between apple tv software and IOS version.
But this time it was very difficult.
I used iFaith and fetched blobs for 5.0, 5.0r1, 5.0.2, 5.1 and 5.2.
I am guessing that this is apple tv software versions and if so I will not be able to downgrade to 4.4.4 which is what I want.

Or is this IOS versions?

I don't understand you. Why not be able to go to 4.4.4?

EDIT: I was unable to JB it at the 4.3 (4.2.1) version (after I downgraded to 4.3) but instead, I JB-ed at 4.4.4 version, exactly what you want. I guess you need to JB one above I guess. -> If you want to have 4.3, you need to do step 1-6 for 4.2.

EDIT 2: Also, using the Seas0nPass injector wont work. Use the iREB's one. I did this way:
* all programs closed *
a. Do the JB-ed wirmware with seasonpas. (finishing will result with an error in iTunes, don't worry). Close itunes, seasonpass...
b. Inject the things using iREB. Close iREB.
c. Start TSS server with tinyumbella;
d. Start iTunes and shift+restore -> C:\Users\User\Documents\Seas0nPass and in your/mine case choose AppleTV2,1_4.4.4_9A406a_SP_Restore.
e. Hope everything goes right Big Grin
Oh, you misunderstood.
I already have a jailbroken atv2 (had it for years) but I never saved the blobs.
I updated to 5.2 but it screwed up my wifi so I downgraded again and are now on 5.0.2 which is on IOS 5.1.1.
It works ok but I would like to try if 4.4.4 works better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version...#iOS_5.x_2

So just want to know if the blobs I managed to fetch via iFaith is IOS version or atv software.
I looked again and it must be atv software (I think?) so I am stuck on 5.0.2, but it works ok.
After a week with 4.4.4 on one of my AppleTV's I can confirm that I experienced drastically improvements of the playback quality. The stability of the XBMC is not as good as on the 5.2 firmware (blocking on start-up, and ATV need an reset, or brightest don't un-dim after the display s dimmed for screen saving and need shut down) but I say that playback is smoother, no cropping, I dont even remember if I experienced buffering on any content. Keep in mind I don't play 1080p, only 720p.

I hope this helps to someone,
skullmonkey

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Downgrading ATV2 (if having BLOBS) guide.0