Video Slowing down then "catching up"
Hi everyone. I hope someone can lend me a hand on this problem that I have on Raspberry Pi OpenElec

I'm new to this and on the videos I have watched so far (6), 3 of them had a slow down/stutter every minute or so, then goes "fast" mode like it's trying to "catch up"/sync to where it's supposed to be because of the slow down. Then it would play smoothly then act up again after a couple of minutes.

Here are the video details of the 3 that has problems

TV Show - MKV, H264, 1080p, AAC
TV Show - MKV, H264, Dolby Digital
Movie - MKV, H264, 720p, AAC

And the three that played smoothly are

Movie - MP4, AVC,1080p, AAC
Movie - MP4, AVC, 1080p AAC
Movie - MKV, H264, 1080p, AAC

I hope I explained the problem clearly.

Is this because the Pi doesn't have enough power to play these files? This would be weird because I have one TV show and 1 Movie with the exact same details but one played smoothly and the other doesn't.

I would appreciate all help that I could get and would be giving out more details of needed

Thanks
Additional info if it helps

I tailed the debug log and noticed that when this line appears, the issue would happen a couple of seconds later

Code:
CRenderManager::FlipPage - timeout waiting for previous frame
Do the problematic files have subs?

Best way to help fix it is to produce a sample (e.g. 200MB file) that shows the problem and host it somewhere (e.g. dropbox).
Yes sir they have subs. The mkv ones have embedded subs while the 2 mp4s have srt files on the same directory

Before I make this sample file, does it matter what part of the video I crop because the stuttering, if I'm not mistaken, are unpredictable.
(2013-03-25, 21:22)Squall13 Wrote: Yes sir they have subs. The mkv ones have embedded subs while the 2 mp4s have srt files on the same directory

Before I make this sample file, does it matter what part of the video I crop because the stuttering, if I'm not mistaken, are unpredictable.

Pick a section where you've seen it stutter before. Test that it still stutters. If it doesn't pick a different section, or a longer section.
I'll do that once I get home from work.

So I guess this isn't a case of the Pi not having enough processing power?

I would also like to note that I'm not using the latest build because I had problems with it not even displaying mkv subtitles
(2013-03-25, 21:46)Squall13 Wrote: I'll do that once I get home from work.

So I guess this isn't a case of the Pi not having enough processing power?

I would also like to note that I'm not using the latest build because I had problems with it not even displaying mkv subtitles

No. In general the GPU is not that busy playing 1080p streams. The main performance bottleneck tends to be the ARM reading the file and decoding the audio.

Your case sounds like a timestamp problem. The video decode task also displays the subtitles, and when things go wrong, it blocks waiting for a subtitle to be displayed,
at the expense of submitting video frames (which runs behind).

There is a PR (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2249) which does help problems like this, but it's not been accepted.
I'd be interested in testing your file with that patch applied.
Ok thanks a lot for the info

Last question, is it fine just using VLC record to take these sample files or do you suggest a better way / better program to do this?
(2013-03-25, 21:58)Squall13 Wrote: Ok thanks a lot for the info

Last question, is it fine just using VLC record to take these sample files or do you suggest a better way / better program to do this?

I'd use mmg from mkvtoolnix (http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/). That can split files into chunks without reencoding.
Hi. Here are the samples that you've asked for

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4a5oulpfdi5zg7l/XWDl174GSt

Movie Sample.mkv has the issues prevalent @ 3.53, 4:04 & 4:24

TV Show Sample 1.mkv has too many to count

TV Show Sampls 2.mkv has issues prevalent @ 2:36, 3:01 & 3:33

Thanks and I hope this helps

P.S Just an additional note, I've played the source videos on a Windows Based XBMC and it didn't have any problems whatsoever
Bump for possible solution
Last bump hoping for any solutions
Just tried your files, and they all played fine for me.
Can you try with rbej's OpenELEC build?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1350100
Weird. Ok I'll try that sir thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Slowing down then "catching up"0