Win Airfoil to stream xbmc to airport express
Hi

Im running windows 8 and latest xbmc 12.1 and want to use airfoil to stream music to my kitchen speakers via an airport express. Now airfoil works perfectly how it should do with everything other than xbmc. When I select xbmc as the source the output in the kitchen is just some crackles that are in time with the music being played. I use wasapi in xbmc and although I don't fully understand the details of how this works I gather that it in some way give exclusive use of the audio stream to xbmc, could this be the problem? I don't want to change to direct sound in xbmc if it is the problem as wasapi sounds so much better on my system.

Any other suggestions to achieve this are welcome, I think xbmc may be close to implementing something like this in the nightlies but I couldn't get that working either

Thanks

Pete

Oh something very odd that I forgot to mention is that when I install airfoil it stops advanced launcher working in xbmc??
Turn off all of the "receiver capable" settings under Settings -> System -> Audio output
It's a shame that that's the fix as I was hoping to not need to change lots of settings every time I wanted to listen in the kitchen. Thanks for your help though
It's possible that this can be set up more easily. I'm not very familiar with Windows sound stuff. All I know is that "crackles = digital passthrough" on a device that can't use passthrough.
Ned would you happen to know if I'd be better off just holding tight on this for a while as there might be something coming soon that will do this in xbmc without the airfoil software?
I just found a way to stream to airport express using the nightlies with new upnp 'play using' feature. You need to install an app for dbpoweramp called 'air upnp' which picks up airport express’ on your network then broadcasts them as upnp devices which xbmc then shows under 'play using'. It doesn’t actually show in xbmc that its playing but you can control it and basically works. Not perfect but a great step forward! :) I really hope that in the future we are able to get a full multi room experience from this

Air upnp:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.p...P-devices)
Nice!
Pretty exciting :) :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Airfoil to stream xbmc to airport express0