Solved Movie set management
(2013-03-26, 23:48)Montellese Wrote: There might be a problem concerning updating the information of a movie with a scraper. Let's say I scrape "Iron Man" from TMDB and it gets put into the "The Avengers Collection" but I don't like that and use the new functionality to remove the movie from that set. Later for some reason I refresh that movies information and gets added back to the "The Avengers Collection". This might even be worse if I added the movie to a custom "Iron Man Collection" set and then refresh the movie's information from TMDB and my local changes are overwritten.

This problem already exists today: set information in TMDB is not constant, people change it all the time when they don't like the way someone else defined a collection.
(2013-03-27, 00:31)jmarshall Wrote: As for the basic idea of editing within XBMC, I would suggest that mass-editing is best done outside XBMC (webapp or similar). Minor editing could perhaps be done inside XBMC, though even that is not particularly quick with a remote. I could see much more argument for it happening on a tablet, however. Either way I'd suggest that we ensure the functionality to do so is exposed to JSON-RPC (My guess is that most of it is already), as this stuff is much better suited to add-ons, particularly when we have a number of add-on devs that seem to be keen on working on this sort of thing (e.g. MilhouseVH).

agree with what you say re. mass-editing and making the functionality available via JSON-RPC. Having a capability to make minor changes from within XBMC is a must-have: e.g. editing the title, changing cover artwork, moving to a different set. That's what most users would need to be happy.
Regarding exposing thru JSON-RPC, I need a bit of guidance on how to get started with it.

Quote:I think we do need to make it general. At this point that generality might be just making any entry points generic (e.g. "Edit movie" rather than "Add to set" or whatever). That could then open a separate dialog (we could just use context for now) for the specifics. Later on we can then switch to a more complicated dialog later on as other things are added, or indeed, allow an add-on to fill a dialog.

Agree with the principle, but I would rather not do this now or make the Movie Set Management functionality dependent on it. I prefer the small incremental approach as it is now, then later (but as everyone agrees, before Gotham!) a dev takes care of moving the context items into such a generic entry point.
JSON-RPC already allows to change the set of a movie as well as title, genre, director and almost anything else except for the cast and streamdetails (maybe something else I don't remember). That functionality is already being used by the XWMM webinterface and probably other third party software.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
thanks everyone. I think I've completed the feature as best as possible now. There are 3 commits: one for option a), one for option b) and one that presents a warning whenever there would be a residual empty set.

Is there sufficient appetite to pull this in for the April merge window?
... and another addition: when changing the movie set starting from a movie, there is first a choice to be made between "keep set", "clear set" and "change/set set". The problem before was that the "clear" option was hidden all the way up in the list of sets, not very convenient or obvious. This way, we avoid too much scrolling and it's also much more self-explanatory.

Screenshots here:
Continuation of screenshots:

I don't see a way to create a new movie-set - how is this supposed to work?
@da-anda - this is the only limitation left. I can try to get this added to complete the feature.
I'd suggest the "<None>", "New set..." is placed as the first two options in the select dialog. New set just pops up the keyboard.

I really don't get the point of the "Manage set" thing to be honest. It's not as if you're doing it all the time that just editing the set on each one takes all that much time.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2013-03-31, 00:15)jmarshall Wrote: I really don't get the point of the "Manage set" thing to be honest. It's not as if you're doing it all the time that just editing the set on each one takes all that much time.

I must agree with you, but it has been requested by Montellese and Martijn. As I'm trying to be neutral and accomodate different use cases and preferences I can see the benefit of having the "manage set" function to add/remove member movies.
@da-anda: New set function added now (apologies for the out-of-sync middle screenshot, had to re take it b/c xbmc doesn't take it when keyboard is up).

nice. One thing I don't like though is the label of the first option "Keep movie in current set (Not in movie set)". A "keep" option is IMO not required, I'd rather add a "cancel" option to the dialog. So the available options should be "remove from current set" (only show if it is in one), "add to new set" and "add to existing set". But that's just my opinion.
da-anda, I can remove that option indeed. In order to replace it with a cancel button, that seems to be more difficult. I'm using the standard selection dialog here, which doesn't have one. You can still back out of it by using the back (or escape) button, which has the exact same effect. Would that be good enough?
(2013-03-31, 15:01)da-anda Wrote: nice. One thing I don't like though is the label of the first option "Keep movie in current set (Not in movie set)". A "keep" option is IMO not required, I'd rather add a "cancel" option to the dialog. So the available options should be "remove from current set" (only show if it is in one), "add to new set" and "add to existing set". But that's just my opinion.

Agree that cancel is better. Isn't it possible to jus show the text "cancel" and as action close the dialog? No need for extra button.
"remove from current set" also sound better than "remove movie from set (foo)"
"add movie to another set" -> "add movie to existing set"

When doing manage set on single movie it doesn't show the yes/no dialog if i do "add to other set" and current set isn't empty. Think you should at least ask something in the some context like "adding (foo) to set (bar) will remove it from current set. Continue?"

Same should happen when doing manage set on an actual set. If the movie is already in another set ask to confirm to move it to the newly selected set.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-03-31, 17:13)Martijn Wrote: Agree that cancel is better. Isn't it possible to jus show the text "cancel" and as action close the dialog? No need for extra button.
"remove from current set" also sound better than "remove movie from set (foo)"
"add movie to another set" -> "add movie to existing set"

When doing manage set on single movie it doesn't show the yes/no dialog if i do "add to other set" and current set isn't empty. Think you should at least ask something in the some context like "adding (foo) to set (bar) will remove it from current set. Continue?"

Same should happen when doing manage set on an actual set. If the movie is already in another set ask to confirm to move it to the newly selected set.

Reason for "remove movie from set (foo)" is that at least you know which set you're removing it from, which isn't obvious if you're starting from the movie point of view. So I prefer to leave that in.

"add movie to existing set" : OK - sounds better, will change.

Regarding the suggested warnings for removing from a set, I could build those in but it could be a bit annoying. I'll try putting it in and come back.
The way it's currently built, is that you only get a warning if removing the last movie from a set, which makes the set invisible.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie set management0