MySQL performance improvement?
Will I get a performance improvement when I store my library in a MySQL database?

Using Linux, latest unstable XBMC, powerful HTPC (i5 2500t, 8gb ram). 20.000 music files, about 250 movies.

The main problem I'm facing is that during library updates (during startup), the menu (especially selecting channel in live tv) freezes frequently. As a result I have to wait for a couple of minutes after startup before I can select a channel.

(workaround: disable library update during startup, use watchdog addon for library updates)
Mysql is slower
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I would say it is the scraping-process that is at fault (which is slow and demanding).

I am using mysql to store my database at home for 3 xbmc-boxes, with no obvious lag.
And with growing databases, i can assume at one point, mysql will outperform sqlite.

And by putting some effort in tuning mysql, it could be as fast as sqlite even from beginning.
eeeh, it's still accessing it over the network vs accessing the DB locally. It's possible to have really slow local storage and thus MySQL will be faster. This is actually the came for Raspberry Pi using only an SD card, because even a class 10 SD card is slower than accessing the DB over the network. Most other devices shouldn't have an issue though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MySQL performance improvement?0