DRC not working?
Hey everyone,

I just noticed the DRC feature on my Sony AV receiver doesn't work when watching movies from XBMC.
When turned on, it's supposed to decrease the dynamics range (quiet and loud scenes difference).
But all it does is just decrease the volume globally, with no effect on the dynamic range.

This makes me curious.. does the Blu-Ray/DVDs have any DRC metadata in the audio track which is absent in my .mkv movies?
It's only intended to work with Dolby Digital, not with DTS, so that's why I first thought of the metadata thing.

Or is it a matter of configuration? I use an optical SPDIF with everything hooked up as it should be.

Anyway, if I don't get it working, is there any software-based alternative to this? I'm in an apartment block with lot of noise-sensitive neighbors, i need this feature.

Thank you all...
It might be because XBMC has some measure of DRC built in and the amp doesn't get a chance to do anything. But I'm not sure that it applies with bitstreaming, however. Assuming you are not bitstreaming here.

Check out the applydrc tag in advancedsettings.xml. I turned it off in my setup since I want the AVR to do all this kind of work.

Ciao.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
Just FYI - the <applydrc> tag is no longer valid. The limiter settings are valid (a bit below <applydrc> in the Wiki page linked above) but apply only if you force XBMC to decode the audio to pcm, and only really kick in if you use the Volume Amplification feature.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Thanks, DDDamian. Good to know. Smile
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DRC not working?0