(SOLVED) HD Audio works on OpenELEC, not on XBMCbuntu - How do I fix this?
Hi all,

So tested both the live boot of XBMCbuntu and then OpenELEC on my new Intel NUC.

HD-Audio worked on OpenELEC 3.0, but not on XBMC.

What do I need to do to get HD-Audio working on XBMCBuntu? I believe a new kernel? Any links with a walk through?
see http://askubuntu.com/questions/119080/ho...ro-upgrade and if needed read Intel_Linux_Modifications_for_HD_Audio (wiki)

Ill look into ading the kernel upgarde isntructions to the xbmc wiki at some time.

Done its all in wiki now.

uNi
Great. So basically install the DEBS from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mai....5-raring/

Is that the most recent stable kernel?

Any downside/things to watch for when doing this?

What kernel does 12.0 ship with by default? Since Frodo supports HD audio, doesn't it make sense to upgrade this?
XBMCbuntu ships with Ubuntu 12.10 kernel version 3.5 or similar, the reasons why it is as it is are because it is, what makes sense is not always possible/practical, ideally No one would have to do anything else but installsomething and it just works, but the out of the box business is not reasonable in Linux what works for you may not work for anyone else (with different hardware)

Downsides are it can break something like booting so alswys keep the default kernle installed so you can boot that at any time.

uNi
So I updated to the newest kernel. This did not seem to enable HD-Audio on my NUC. I tried a DTS-HD file and it was a no go Sad What am I missing?
see second link on my signature and explore the audio setup and Intel mods for Linux part.

uNi
Hmmmm well I tried that and no luck.

I'm re-installing XBMCbuntu from scratch and trying again.

One question - Does it make a difference which option I choose from the install menu that pop ups? I believe there is "install xbmcbuntu", "install xbmcbuntu fixed width font" (or something like that?) and "install xbmcbuntu sandy bridge".

Since the nuc has ivy bridge, I'm assuming the first option is fine? Is there a major difference?
Too many intel related questions for a Nvidia guy. Im sure forums have a few of your hardware threads or related idk. The kernle fixes + xbmc setup and alsa ctlinex tweks I already posted the links.

Obviously ensure your actually connected to a Receiver able to do HD audio. This I also posted the link to or is part of one of the links I posted. Aslo dont forget to unmutre stuff on alsamixer just double check.

uNi
Update - Got it to work!

I believe the issues I was running into were caused due to the fact that when I originally installed XBMCbuntu, I had the NUC connected via HDMI directly to me TV, not to the AV Receiver.

When I looked in the settings part of XBMC, under Audio, the HDMI was simply listed as "HDMI1" or something like.

When I re-installed XBMCbuntu, this time with the NUC now connected to the AV Receiver via HDMI (and then to the TV from the receiver), it worked (after installing kernel 3.8.5.

So it seems that if the receiver isn't connected during the install, something goes wrong with the hardware detection maybe?
Yes if its not connected its not detected. Its Edid hanshakes and so on...

Glad your sorted.

uNi
(2013-04-02, 17:25)uNiversal Wrote: Yes if its not connected its not detected. Its Edid hanshakes and so on...

Glad your sorted.

uNi

You would think it would check again during a reboot. What if people's hardware changes?
My bet is you can trigger reconfiguration, how idk. SOme AVRs also hanshake better than others, same with TV's, iirc intel had issues with Edidi hanshake My guess is they never really resolved it thats doesnt preclude your AVR doing bad handshakes.

MArk this thread as solved and add intel to thread tittle.Full edit main post and youll see options there.

++

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(SOLVED) HD Audio works on OpenELEC, not on XBMCbuntu - How do I fix this?0