• 1(current)
[PseudoTV] Guide for adding strm channels
Some Information below is outdated... For updated info please go to : PseudoTV Live

The steps below will work for any strms that play in XBMC:

Please make sure you have "Include icelibrary" enabled in your PseudoTV Plugin settings. Not all strms need nfo's sometimes you can get away with scraping them with xbmc... but this doesn't guarantee compatibility with PTV, my steps below do!

Also only use trusted strms that you know work... Strms that fail to play can break PTV!! and remember to start clean!! If you already have a source folder with strms; that has been scraped by XBMC you need to remove it and clean the database before following the steps below... this is important don't skip!!

If you are using a plugin that generates strms (ie. Hulu, Amazon, MyLibrary).

1. Disable any options to self generate nfo's within the plugins settings. Some plugins don't generate the proper nfo's needed for XBMC/PTV compatibility, more specifically they don't include <runtime>##</runtime> information.

If your strms contain a single Movie or TV Shows / individual TV episodes chances are XBMC's scraper will find all data needed... You could skip to step 3... If you find shows still missing follow the steps below! You will need to create nfo's in order to add them to XBMC for PTV use...

2. Make sure your Movies and TV episodes strm file are named in a standard format xbmc will reconize (ie. S00E00)

3. automatically create nfo's for all your strms using ember remember to add .strm extension to the list of file types in ember.

You can use Notepad++ to add and edit strm, and nfo data. (TIP: Use the replace function in notepad ++ to batch edit strms and nfos).

3. When runtime is in the nfo, add the source to XBMC as you would any other folder. Scrape it according to the media type (ie. Movie, TV, Music Video).

3 or 4. Create a smartplaylist for the strms in XBMC then setup a custom playlist channel in PTV.

4. Skip smartplaylist and use PTV's channel manager for channel setup. Strms should be added as if its local media.

If you are using a strm that contains custom video or a live internet feed (ie. Not a single Movie, Not a single TV episode, Not a music video) follow the steps below...

Example Stream: (also found in strm form in the link below).

rtmp://c.cdn.msnbclive.eu/edge/cnn_live swfurl=http://msnbclive.eu/player.swf pageUrl=http://blog.livenewschat.tv/rockinroosters/ live=1

Example Strm ,nfo, and Screenshots
Follow these steps: (screenshots with steps in the link above)

1. Create a nfo (use the movie example)for the strm, use the example in my link (btw you can also add a thumbnail, and detailed nfo info if you want).

2. Add the strms source location to XBMC. Then Scrape it using this scraper

3 Create a playlist that "contains" the "Path" the strm is located in...add any filters need to isolate a single strm file (ONE STRM, PER PLAYLIST, PER CHANNEL).

4. Setup a PTV custom playlist channel, chose your playlist... Setup two rules (force real time, and channel name)

(when you are using a stream that is one long stream, ie not broken up into episodes like hulu... you can only use one strm per channel per playlist, but you can scrape them all together in one folder and add rules in the playlist to filter out the one strm you want. In my test builds of PTV that I will release shortly; I added a channel type that handles this kind of channel automatically I call it a 24/7 channel type but a normal PTV build will also work but you have to follow all these steps above and there is a chance PTV might try and seek ahead which could cause certain streams to lock up or stall till the new frame is buffered).

5. Sit back and wait as background channel is running.

6. WAIT SOME MORE...

7. Your channel should be Available Smile

Original Post

I encourage questions, and will help with strm, nfo and PTV related questions....but I'm offering help, Please don't ask me or others to do the work for you... It is best you learn how to create strms and nfos yourself!! But if you truly tried and can't i'm sure someone would be willing to help...

Forgive grammatical mistakes and typo's this was written quickly and I will edit as I go...
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
I am trying to create channels from mylibrary scrapes that I have to do a generic filter(not recognized by tvdb). I have tried many library managers to rename/organize/create nfo files, and nothing works(only contains episode name). I am able to play the folder from the file manager, if I created nfo files with a generic 20 minute runtime would this work without adding them to the library? I don't want to use the 'justusefilename' scraper if I don't have to, I don't want a lot of tv episodes in my movie library. This 'filename' scraper would be so much better if it could also be tv shows and then use the folder name for the series title.
(2013-03-31, 20:19)spyder Wrote: I am trying to create channels from mylibrary scrapes that I have to do a generic filter(not recognized by tvdb). I have tried many library managers to rename/organize/create nfo files, and nothing works(only contains episode name). I am able to play the folder from the file manager, if I created nfo files with a generic 20 minute runtime would this work without adding them to the library? I don't want to use the 'justusefilename' scraper if I don't have to, I don't want a lot of tv episodes in my movie library. This 'filename' scraper would be so much better if it could also be tv shows and then use the folder name for the series title.

Sorry, if you want to use the generic strms in PTV you will have to:

A) Scrape it to the library... no getting around this since strms don't contain metadata so PTV has no way of knowing runtime.

B) you have to use the scraper provided in the link... if the media isn't a single episode, single movie, or single music video... there is no scraper for miscellaneous media other then justusefilename (at least not that I know of...)

I've been using strms with PTV for a very long time using the above method... Mostly Generic sources... I'm also picky about whats in my library (I like things neat). So some tips to help you organize generic strms would be:

If you are using mylibrary use force tv show name and prefix or suffix the type of media it is... for example "Billiards"
In the NFO make sure you set a "sort title" and a "movie set" in addition to the "title" and "runtime". This will keep the generic media types organized...also you might want to add a thumb and fanart to the nfo so that it looks nice Smile

In my setup I have a Movie set called "TV Strms" then I use the sort title to organize types of TV Streams (ie. OTA, Cable, 24/7 TVShows)... all kept neat... Only pain is nfo creation... I use a modified music video nfo creator to batch some starter nfos based on filenames... but then have to go back and add thumbs, etc... One day I'll get around to making a better utility. hopefully someone reading this will take up the cause and create one Smile

BTW I forgot to mention the obvious... you could always scrape any strm using any scraper you want... TV, MOVIE, ETC... since you are manually creating the nfo you could use anytype... But it's harder to keep things organize since XBMC assumes you are using conforming media types and file structures...
I don't recommend using this method...
(2013-03-31, 20:39)Lunatixz Wrote: Sorry, if you want to use the generic strms in PTV you will have to:

A) Scrape it to the library... no getting around this since strms don't contain metadata so PTV has no way of knowing runtime.

B) you have to use the scraper provided in the link... if the media isn't a single episode, single movie, or single music video... there is no scraper for miscellaneous media other then justusefilename (at least not that I know of...)

I've been using strms with PTV for a very long time using the above method... Mostly Generic sources... I'm also picky about whats in my library (I like things neat). So some tips to help you organize generic strms would be:

If you are using mylibrary force tv show name to the type of media it is... for example "Billiards"
In the NFO make sure you set a "sort title" and a "movie set" in addition to the "title" and "runtime". This will keep the generic media types organized...
and also you might want to add a thumb and fanart to the nfo so that it look nice Smile
That's what I was afraid of, unless there is a way to 'hide this movie set'(not going to mark as watched, and filter watched), I'm not adding these as movies.
Also, I tried tweaking the 'justusethefilename' scraper. I got it to show up in the TV Shows section, and create a series folder matching the containing folder, but it stopped there with no 'episodes' added.
(2013-03-31, 21:13)spyder Wrote:
(2013-03-31, 20:39)Lunatixz Wrote: Sorry, if you want to use the generic strms in PTV you will have to:

If you are using mylibrary force tv show name to the type of media it is... for example "Billiards"
In the NFO make sure you set a "sort title" and a "movie set" in addition to the "title" and "runtime". This will keep the generic media types organized...
and also you might want to add a thumb and fanart to the nfo so that it look nice Smile
That's what I was afraid of, unless there is a way to 'hide this movie set'(not going to mark as watched, and filter watched), I'm not adding these as movies.
Also, I tried tweaking the 'justusethefilename' scraper. I got it to show up in the TV Shows section, and create a series folder matching the containing folder, but it stopped there with no 'episodes' added.

I wouldn't recommend using TV... because XBMC is expecting the file to be named like a tv episode... SXXEXX, etc... If you find a way around this problem let me know... It's not the end of the world to use movie sets...
(2013-03-31, 21:25)Lunatixz Wrote: I wouldn't recommend using TV... because XBMC is expecting the file to be named like a tv episode... SXXEXX, etc... If you find a way around this problem let me know... It's not the end of the world to use movie sets...
I am talking about hundreds of episodes that I can't auto-add to the library, I don't want that in my movie library. If there were more tv scrapers it would help(found a tvrage scraper), or maybe I'm missing something with the media managers I am trying. A "don't show this movie set", would make this much easier. Does anyone know if there is a way to hide movie sets?
(2013-03-31, 21:40)spyder Wrote:
(2013-03-31, 21:25)Lunatixz Wrote: I wouldn't recommend using TV... because XBMC is expecting the file to be named like a tv episode... SXXEXX, etc... If you find a way around this problem let me know... It's not the end of the world to use movie sets...
I am talking about hundreds of episodes that I can't auto-add to the library, I don't want that in my movie library. If there were more tv scrapers it would help(found a tvrage scraper), or maybe I'm missing something with the media managers I am trying. A "don't show this movie set", would make this much easier. Does anyone know if there is a way to hide movie sets?

Wait your talking about episodes? single strms contain single episodes? if that's the case use a normal tv scraper just make sure files are named correctly and nfos are setup... Even if the scraper can't find the TV show (not found in tvdb or tvrage) as long as the nfos are built correctly and the file structure is correct they will be added to your TVshows list...

Another idea... If you have a bunch of single episode strms that can't be found in tvdb and you want under TV Shows in XBMC... you can always
1. Put all your strms in a folder, structure it like you would a tv show "spyders tv"/"season 01" "season 02"
2. Rename all the strms to a TV friendly name... Spyders TV - S01E01 - Title of Strm.... create matching nfos for all data and supply relevant info.. then scrape with a regular tv scraper... you could also break seasons into different subjects.. so season 1 could be your anime, season 2 sports... etc
Great tutorial! Worked a treat for cable streams for me. I would really like to add live tv stream to fork. How would I go about adding live tv stream from ota antenna?
(2013-03-31, 22:31)Guile Wrote: I would really like to add live tv stream to fork.

you want to develop live tv support for PTV?

(2013-03-31, 22:31)Guile Wrote: How would I go about adding live tv stream from ota antenna?

Currently only HDHOMERUN is supported... When I have free time VLC native support... but you should beable to trick the current build into playing VLC content...
Thanks for this it was really helpful.
(2013-03-31, 22:19)Lunatixz Wrote: Wait your talking about episodes? single strms contain single episodes? if that's the case use a normal tv scraper just make sure files are named correctly and nfos are setup... Even if the scraper can't find the TV show (not found in tvdb or tvrage) as long as the nfos are built correctly and the file structure is correct they will be added to your TVshows list...

Another idea... If you have a bunch of single episode strms that can't be found in tvdb and you want under TV Shows in XBMC... you can always
1. Put all your strms in a folder, structure it like you would a tv show "spyders tv"/"season 01" "season 02"
2. Rename all the strms to a TV friendly name... Spyders TV - S01E01 - Title of Strm.... create matching nfos for all data and supply relevant info.. then scrape with a regular tv scraper... you could also break seasons into different subjects.. so season 1 could be your anime, season 2 sports... etc

" make sure files are named correctly and nfos are setup" - That's the problem, the names the scraper generates isn't recognized by the tvdb scraper, it also isn't recognized by any renamer. Some renamers won't even work with a .strm file, they will load if you change the extension but that's more work(batch extension renamer failing) So without proper names I have no way to automate nfo files. I have tried renamers/nfo generators/media managers, I don't want to do this manually(I'd spend more time setting up than watchingRofl)
(2013-03-31, 22:44)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2013-03-31, 22:31)Guile Wrote: I would really like to add live tv stream to fork.

you want to develop live tv support for PTV?

WIsh I had the skills to do it.
Deleted by user.
Lunatix,

Could you not use this with HDHomerun and use the XMLTV files to scrape the information from?

What is the difference between and internet stream and a HDHomerun stream.
(2013-04-02, 20:34)XvMMvX Wrote: Lunatix,

Could you not use this with HDHomerun and use the XMLTV files to scrape the information from?

As for Hdhomerun and xmltv the works been done already... Info Here

(2013-04-02, 20:34)XvMMvX Wrote: What is the difference between and internet stream and a HDHomerun stream.

from the users prospective... nothing really only the XBMC function... hdhomerun:// is a built in function...I don't see why you couldn't replace it with let say a plugin:// strm link...
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PseudoTV] Guide for adding strm channels2