Testing wifi in my home network
I tried posting in the off topic section but for some weird reason I dont have the forum does not allow me to open a new thread there. So I apologise if this is slightly off topic.....

My question is: How can I test the speed of the wifi of my home network? I have an ATV2 an iphone and an ipad (no laptop) The apps I found doe iOS measure the internet speed but I want to find a way to measure how fast streaming a local file over wifi is. Any ideas?
No ideas?

I was thinking of (manually) timing the transfer of a largish file via SSH from my pc/nas to the ATV2. WOuld that provide a good estimate? or does ssh transfer files at a lower speed then the "maximum"?
Ssh is a secure connection therefore it will be encrypting your data which probably won't give an accurate test. Can you not do a Samba file transfer?

Afraid I don't know the answer to your question
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Thanks just the same charlie
Samba is slow so doing file transfers with it won't likely yield much useful info unless you also plan to use it to get your data. I'd recommend iperf (or jperf in the Windows world) if you had a computer on your network. I assume there's an ipad client app so maybe borrow a laptop from a friend for testing purposes. With it you can quickly find network bottlenecks like bad cables and cheap routers / switches, not to mention poor ipad wireless performance. It will also show you the maximum theoretical throughput to a hardwired device connected to your network as you move around your house.

In the end though the maximum throughput you can get at any given point is irrelevent if it's not high enough to stream or transfer what you want. What do you hope to accomplish here?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Testing wifi in my home network0