Preferred install to go with?
Hey everyone.

I have xbmc running on an appleTV and xbmcbuntu in my basement as well. And I finally just picked up a raspberry pi and wondering if anyone has a preference of one install over the other? This is my first raspberry, and is really to play and learn with.

the FAQ mentions using either OpenElec, Raspbmc, Xbian, and Rasbian.

An pro's and con's to each? I'll also be looking to pick up a good, simple remote to use with it. any suggestion's on that. Would prefer a remote that is perhaps wireless RF so that I can hide the raspberry behind the TV or somewhere else.

Thanks
PT
I personally prefer Openelec and i use the Tv remote to control it through the CEC plugin.
and as a bonus you can run OpenELEC on ATV1, replace your XBMCbuntu with OpenELEC and run OpenELEC on RPi :-) nice?
greetings, Stephan

OpenELEC is a very good distro, I run it on my backup SD mostly for testing purposes.
But I actually prefer Raspbmc since I get better performance from it with my particular setup, specially GUI speed (have the exact same setup and settings with both distros).

I have USB installs and high overclock settings and Raspbmc is quite a bit more responsive, but this might be on my specific setup.
Previously I ran medium overclock on SD installs and I could not see much difference between the 2.

I recommend that you test them all with your specific setup.

CEC will work on both.
OpenELEC is great on a USB 3.0, OC'ed and with MCE remote or Yatse.
OpenELEC plugin is also very nice for configuring and backup.

Wish there was some kind of installer that let users choose SD card or USB install (like Xbian and Raspbmc).

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Wish there was some kind of installer that let users choose SD card or USB install (like Xbian and Raspbmc).
[/quote]

Berryboot Smile
I tested all most popular distros: XBian, Openelec and Raspbmc and the winner is last one. All tested on the same SD card and environment configuration

Openelec was OK in terms of stability and performance but was a bit to "sealed" . It's perfect solution for someone who needs just xbmc based media center on Raspi. XBian in latest version had a problems mostly inperformance. After entering settings it freezed for more than minute

Raspbmc is in my opinion as fast as Openelec while giving user more flexibility. No problems with stability so far.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Preferred install to go with?0